X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kdiff77
    replied
    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Tuesday at 7:00. Unfortunately, I have tickets to the Bruins-Rangers game, so I can't attend. They couldn't have picked Wednesday?? C'mon!

Leave a comment:

• BrunoFan00
    replied

The Brown-Yale game has been postponed again. According to Brownbears.com, it will be rescheduled to a mutually convenient time.

Hope all are well following the storm.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
    BROWN @ THE BEANPOT

Northeastern's second goal in the first game of the 2013 Beanpot tournament, against Boston Unversity, was the result of the combined "efforts" of two players who dishonored their commitment to Brown in 2009 and 2012 respectively: BU's Ben Rosen made an absolutely awful pass from the left boards that was intercepted by Northeastern's Kevin Roy, who had an open net. The BU goalie was somewhere in the left corner...
    I'm going to the final on Monday. I'll be the guy siting behind the NU bench with a Brown shirt flipping off the Roys.

Leave a comment:

• Brown09
    replied

BROWN @ THE BEANPOT

Northeastern's second goal in the first game of the 2013 Beanpot tournament, against Boston Unversity, was the result of the combined "efforts" of two players who dishonored their commitment to Brown in 2009 and 2012 respectively: BU's Ben Rosen made an absolutely awful pass from the left boards that was intercepted by Northeastern's Kevin Roy, who had an open net. The BU goalie was somewhere in the left corner...

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Borelli would be great, but I can't imagine him getting it over Gaudreau.
    We said the same thing last year at Bentley about Brett Gensler. We had no idea how Gensler won the award over Chris Kreider, who promptly scored 4 goals in the first round of the NHL playoffs for the NY Rangers. But if Gensler can win it, I think that proves anything's possible.

It's worth noting that Gensler is also in the mix as the defending champ, although there hasn't been a repeat champion since Mike Mottau back in 1999-2000.

Leave a comment:

• Onion Man
    replied

Borelli would be great, but I can't imagine him getting it over Gaudreau.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hutter
    replied

Borelli epiomizes everything good about this team - heart, tenacity, and the desire to win. Good to see him get this nomination. He is quite the story - from 3rd goalie even behind a recruit to a key cog of this year's team.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/02/04/walt...ain-a-nominee/

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    Once again I find myself agreeing 100% with BrunoFan00. The performance of this Brown team in the aftermath of injuries to so many key players and the quick development of recruits such as Matt Lorito, Brandon Pfeil and others (not to mention Jake Goldberg's adjustment to defense), leaves no doubt as to Brendan Whittet's ability as a head coach. Brendan has also been very smart in the choice of his assistants, who, like him, are committed to teaching the game (and, unlike under the previous regime, are allowed to do so) to young student athletes with raw talent in need of polishing.

Having known Brendan since he was nineteen years old, of course I'm biased, but the evidence is piling up that the choice of the hockey search committee in 2009, of which I was honored to be a part, was the correct one.
    I was fortunate to get to watch Mark White as an assistant for Bentley under Ryan Soderquist when both were young men coaching a young program. One of the things that I noticed about Coach White is his ability to adapt to the game and circumstances around him. He's a student of the game with a great thirst for learning. He has an ability to look at the team around him and coach them up to a particular system. Once he learned a system, he could recruit the right guys for that system.

He did a great job of helping to build the team with Soderquist to the 2009 Atlantic Hockey semifinals, a year in which Soderquist was named Coach of the Year. White recruited almost all of the pieces of a team that won 19 games.

At Brown, if I had to guess, I'd bet Whitey had to learn the system Brendan wanted to implement then go find the right trial guys to find it. Once he had a plan in place, he could go out and find guys who could play that system. That's why you'll have one or two seniors who are decent but a solid crop of freshmen.

Players are drawn to the type of fire Brendan Whittet and the staff shows. There's something to be said for that. It commands loyalty, respect, and love for the program, and if you'll remember, Brown had a perfect APR score or whatever that thing was measuring four-year graduation rates.

Leave a comment:

• Euler18
    replied

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
    The thesis, at its heart, has left me more convinced that Brendan Whittet is a terrific hockey coach. To watch the players' development, cast against the backdrop of the deeply personal nature of every game, means that the Bears usually have a shot.
    Once again I find myself agreeing 100% with BrunoFan00. The performance of this Brown team in the aftermath of injuries to so many key players and the quick development of recruits such as Matt Lorito, Brandon Pfeil and others (not to mention Jake Goldberg's adjustment to defense), leaves no doubt as to Brendan Whittet's ability as a head coach. Brendan has also been very smart in the choice of his assistants, who, like him, are committed to teaching the game (and, unlike under the previous regime, are allowed to do so) to young student athletes with raw talent in need of polishing.

Having known Brendan since he was nineteen years old, of course I'm biased, but the evidence is piling up that the choice of the hockey search committee in 2009, of which I was honored to be a part, was the correct one.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Sullivan's weekly recap once again neglects to mention an incredible weekend for the Bears. Strangely, he used to be one of our bigger supporters back in the days when we'd win 3-5 games a year.

Though it's disappointing not to be recognized for an unbelievable run given the amount of injuries and adversity this teams has faced, it allows us to fly under the radar some more. And that's right where Brendan Whittet wants to be, so he can keep preaching the "nobody believes in us" card to his team.

Ignore us at your peril, ECAC. That's exactly what this team wants.

Leave a comment:

• Onion Man
    replied

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    This was the best I've seen this team play all year. What a tenacious performance. A truly impressive result.
    Good to see Brown hang with this year's "ECAC flavor of the month". I think QC is ok, but will probably get bounced at the ECAC playoffs and will certainly be a short timer in the NCAAs.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hutter
    replied

Brunofan, Humanoid, Kdiff - Thanks for the comments. It looks like I better get my tickets for Yale now as there might be a solid turnout saturday night. This one should get the students out in large numbers.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Like I've been saying for a couple weeks now: there's just something about this team. I had a feeling we'd steal some points against better opponents, and that's what the past three games have been. At this point, I honestly expect a result against Yale. We've found ourselves right in the thick of the race for a first-round bye, not just home ice.

This could be a wild finish. Everybody strap in.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
    Dominant victory. This team has more heart than half of Division I. I cannot imagine what it is like in that locker room between periods, but this team never considers what is not, but focuses on what is night after night.

The loss of Jacobson seems like it will be lengthy. It looked bad, and when he tried to skate on the knee, he could not. He may have been on crutches after the game, if I spotted him correctly.

I didn't see what happened with Robertson, but he took a couple brutal shots in the first and didn't p,at. The second or third. In his absence, Wahl played great, and Pfeil is an all-rookie defenseman without question. His weekly development, along with Mark Naclerio's, are the developmental successes of this year's coaching job, along with the significant improvement to Goldberg as he switched positions.

Three thoughts on tonight:

1. Hathaway was awesome, inches away from a natural hat trick and relentless in his pursuit on the ice. He took the mantle of leadership when Robertson went out, and the Bears really didn't miss a beat.

2. I know this senior class has not gotten a ton of ink, given the propensity to talk about the youthful talent of this team, but this win really belonged to them. Marc Senecal scored his first goal in three calendar years, Drolet contributed on both ends and nearly struck for one, and Jeff Ryan continues to find way to contribute. I don't know that any of unexpected this run out of Borelli, who is 4th in the nation in GAA and second in save percentage. Talk about making the most of opportunities. Whatever Faustian bargain they have made, I'm good with it.

3. I will post separately at some point about Brendan Whittet, but he may be accomplishing the best coaching job in the country. You can't make chicken salad without chicken, so he is serving up prime rib. Amazing job.

Again, this season may be about what is not as much as it what is, but the players don't care. They are a team,plain and simple, regardless of who was poached, injured, or gone. In fact, those issues have unified this team.

Every weekend huge. Looking forward to nxt Saturday when the sons of Allain come to town.
    Here's my thoughts on the game:

1) All these injuries, and I'm truly waiting for the other shoe to finally drop. I'm waiting for Brown to lose a game by 6 or go on a losing streak where they drop 4 or 5 in a row. I don't think it's out of the question with the way the season's gone, and absolutely none of us would be upset. We'd probably shrug our shoulders and kind of just say, "hey that's the way it goes." and soldier on. Jacobsen is almost assuredly out for a while; finding someone to take his role will be tough, but Brown will get Zaires back soon enough. He can step into that role and hopefully find some meaningful minutes.

2) That said, here's what I saw during the Princeton game? No Jacobson? Ok fine, we'll have Senecal score a goal. Um...what? When Senecal scored a goal, it was January 8th, 2010, and yes I had to look it up. Then I saw that he played in 9 games his sophomore year, zero his junior year. And now he has a goal in a big spot for a team that's rolling. BrunoFan is right - you can't make chicken soup without a chicken, but Brendan Whittet just turned Mark Senecal into a goal scorer in the 2012-2013 season. That's like...welll...turning Marc Senecal into a goal scorer. Let's face it. We've probably used that as a joke in the last couple of years. "Brown's going to have a home series? Yeah and Senecal's going to a) play and b) score a goal."

3) What the heck is a Faustian bargain? Can we just say "deal with the devil" for those of us with IQ's below 75. ("Hi, my name is Humanoid. People call me Humanoid. Is there a Mr. Humanoid? Mrs. Humanoid? (insert Forrest Gump high-pitched sounds)." Ok I'm done).

4) When I think back to a team in the Whittet era completely overplaying the way they were, I think about the first year with Volpatti, Zolnierczyk, and Maclellan. Take away Volpatti's ability to destroy people, and focus solely on goals. That line almost always gave the team something to think about when they were on the ice. They were double and triple shifting in the final series against Yale with Jordan PIetrus barely able to skate from injury on the 4th line. Yet they were always there when it mattered and nearly every important goal scored came off that line (see also: Maclellan in the 1-0 Game 3 win).

There's similarities right now between this team and that team, possibly to the point where this team could be more impressive. Hathaway and Lorito are guys who are like those guys on that line; they're on the ice when it matters and they almost always make the play by sheer act of will. That's a lot of the quality that Volpatti had, and that's what made him a solid grinder at the NHL level. The measure of a man's heart in hockey is the one sport where you can win based on that. And I think when it boils down to this team, with all the injuries, they'll have to figure out a way to continue digging deep. At this point, it's almost a complete challenge night in and night out, and I think they welcome and relish that challenge. Many programs don't relish the challenge to say, "Throw the next thing at us." I know plenty of teams that when the going gets tougher and tougher, they fold like a house of cards (here's looking at you, Harvard). But Brown rises to the challenge, ascends the mountain, then says, "Where's the next mountain." At this point, they've climbed Everest and are looking to jump out of a hot air balloon from the stratosphere just because that's what's next.

5) My last observation ties into that last point. I noticed one major thing about the Princeton and Quinnipiac games this weekend. Regardless of injury, Brown went on the ice and all but challenged both teams to win the game on sheer act of will. They essentially said that they were going to make the games blood and guts games. In both games, the opponent tried to match that and say, "If you want us to beat you by act of will, we'll bleed and take it to you." Quinnipiac matched it, and the game's intensity kept rising. The game turned into a beautiful symphony of what hockey should be, and every youth coach in America and Canada should have their kids watching the film. It was hard, tough, and physical. Brown wanted it, then Quinnipiac wanted it, and when it was done, a tie seemed fitting. Neither team deserved to lose because they simply both kept matching each other's intensity and heart. By the end of the game, it wasn't about talent, but it was beautiful. I don't know that Qpac fans were louder; they had Thunderstix and Brown had..well..the band who disappeared as usual for the last 5 minutes to go put on fairy costumes and ice skates (can they just go away), but the place was certainly rocking. Then again, Qpac fans were also intelligent and know the game of hockey. They rightfully acknowledged both teams on Friday after the game and stayed to cheer for Brown during the stick salute. A very classy gesture, and I was very impressed and pleased at how they handled themselves.

Cue up Saturday now. Princeton tried the same; they tried to meet Brown in the middle of the ring and go toe-to-toe. For about 3 minutes, they succeeded. Then Brown scored three quick goals and said, "Not tonight, son." Princeton stood toe-to-toe, but they didn't have the toughness or heart Quinnipiac had on Friday. And I think that's how Brown's going to win games the rest of the way. The opponent's going to have to stand and fight. Every night is going to be a war because everybody on Brown has a job to do. On talent? Brown's in a deep hole because of the injuries, especially now with Robertson down (here we go, again) and Jacobsen out for a while. On heart? It's a one game weekend. It's Yale. And everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, knows this team's history.

...here's to hoping Keith Allain walks off Meehan ice without shaking Brendan's hand like the sore loser we all know he can be.
    Last edited by Humanoid; 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BrunoFan00
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Great win today. 3 points for the weekend. Borelli ECAC goalie of the week?

Yale game will be a real barnburner. Hopefully, Jacobson and Robertsonas well as Zaires are back.
    Dominant victory. This team has more heart than half of Division I. I cannot imagine what it is like in that locker room between periods, but this team never considers what is not, but focuses on what is night after night.

The loss of Jacobson seems like it will be lengthy. It looked bad, and when he tried to skate on the knee, he could not. He may have been on crutches after the game, if I spotted him correctly.

I didn't see what happened with Robertson, but he took a couple brutal shots in the first and didn't p,at. The second or third. In his absence, Wahl played great, and Pfeil is an all-rookie defenseman without question. His weekly development, along with Mark Naclerio's, are the developmental successes of this year's coaching job, along with the significant improvement to Goldberg as he switched positions.

Three thoughts on tonight:

1. Hathaway was awesome, inches away from a natural hat trick and relentless in his pursuit on the ice. He took the mantle of leadership when Robertson went out, and the Bears really didn't miss a beat.

2. I know this senior class has not gotten a ton of ink, given the propensity to talk about the youthful talent of this team, but this win really belonged to them. Marc Senecal scored his first goal in three calendar years, Drolet contributed on both ends and nearly struck for one, and Jeff Ryan continues to find way to contribute. I don't know that any of unexpected this run out of Borelli, who is 4th in the nation in GAA and second in save percentage. Talk about making the most of opportunities. Whatever Faustian bargain they have made, I'm good with it.

3. I will post separately at some point about Brendan Whittet, but he may be accomplishing the best coaching job in the country. You can't make chicken salad without chicken, so he is serving up prime rib. Amazing job.

Again, this season may be about what is not as much as it what is, but the players don't care. They are a team,plain and simple, regardless of who was poached, injured, or gone. In fact, those issues have unified this team.

Every weekend huge. Looking forward to nxt Saturday when the sons of Allain come to town.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X