• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrunoFan00
    replied
    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Disappointing result from a game which Brown seemed to control. Cornell was lock-tight defensively, and though Brown had possession in the offensive zone for most of the game, very little came of it. The defense and Borelli played their C game, and, accordingly, got torched by an opportunistic Cornell team that was content to play the neutral zone trap and passively cycle the puck in the offensive zone after going up 2-0 in the first period.

We really missed the play of Garnet Hathaway tonight. Cornell played a very physical game and muscled Brown off the puck constantly. Despite their tremendous efforts, smaller guys like Nick Lappin and Mark Naclerio were simply overmatched physically. Zaires tried to provide some physical play, but he was one of the only forwards able to impose himself on the hulking Cornell defenders.

I'll have a blog post later tonight. There's plenty to discuss regarding this game and tomorrow's do-or-die tilt with Colgate.
    Hathaway was the single biggest miss in the lineup today, but here is my take on the disappointment(s):

1. Borelli was not great, and two of the goals were ones that should have been cleared.
    2. The pipe hit by Lorito was signs of the Grillo years. No matter what happened, the hockey gods were conspiring against the result. Unlike last week, when the Zaires goal got waived off and the team rallied, we gave up the third goal just a couple of minutes later.
    3. Somehow, we're a point out with one to play. Unfortunately, I think Cornell has the tiebreak with us. Best case, Union smashes Clarkson, the Bears take care of Colgate, and Brown's at home next weekend. Otherwise, it's a road trip I don't think many of us are taking - to either Ithaca or Potsdam. What does help is that Colgate was possibly demoralized tonight, rallying to tie Yale only to lose in overtime.

Best case, we're in 7th. Worst case, 10th. Either way, it looks like we're playing Clarkson, Cornell, or Princeton - I don't think it could be any other way at this point.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Disappointing result from a game which Brown seemed to control. Cornell was lock-tight defensively, and though Brown had possession in the offensive zone for most of the game, very little came of it. The defense and Borelli played their C game, and, accordingly, got torched by an opportunistic Cornell team that was content to play the neutral zone trap and passively cycle the puck in the offensive zone after going up 2-0 in the first period.

We really missed the play of Garnet Hathaway tonight. Cornell played a very physical game and muscled Brown off the puck constantly. Despite their tremendous efforts, smaller guys like Nick Lappin and Mark Naclerio were simply overmatched physically. Zaires tried to provide some physical play, but he was one of the only forwards able to impose himself on the hulking Cornell defenders.

I'll have a blog post later tonight. There's plenty to discuss regarding this game and tomorrow's do-or-die tilt with Colgate.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hutter
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    I wish all fans could be like this.
    Agree. MarkEagle, and as well LTsatch, are terrific. They can post on the Brown thread anytime.

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied

I'd better stop before you start to think I'm a nice guy!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hutter
    replied

About to head to Providencia. What do we got for tonight?
    Throw out some "Go Bruno" cheers for me. Looking forward to your wrap-ups as well as those from Kdiff, Bruno09 and brunofan. Hope to meet you guys on Saturday.

GO BRUNO!!

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Ouch!

But we did sweep Yale... that has to count for something in your eyes, no?

We're not all in that category. Some of us are mindful that a bounce or two in a different direction could have significantly changed the course of this season. And I, for one, know that our season is a long way from over and unless we go out and handle business, we'll be no better in the eyes of the other leagues than Union and Yale before us. That ECAC stigma is going to be a tough one to break for any of us.

For what it's worth, I agree that Whittet needs to be considered for COTY. He's certainly getting as much, if not more, out of his team than any other in the league.

About to head to Providencia. What do we got for tonight?

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied

You guys still lost to AIC.
    Ouch!

But we did sweep Yale... that has to count for something in your eyes, no?

Cue QU fans eating me alive in 3..... 2....... 1......
    We're not all in that category. Some of us are mindful that a bounce or two in a different direction could have significantly changed the course of this season. And I, for one, know that our season is a long way from over and unless we go out and handle business, we'll be no better in the eyes of the other leagues than Union and Yale before us. That ECAC stigma is going to be a tough one to break for any of us.

For what it's worth, I agree that Whittet needs to be considered for COTY. He's certainly getting as much, if not more, out of his team than any other in the league.

Leave a comment:

• turk181
    replied

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Harry Z had a horrible game last night as well. Not sure if he got suspended

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...aps-perreault/
    Doubtful he gets suspended. Adam Oates, the Caps head coach, blamed his own guy for the play.
    his game misconduct was rescinded by the NHL. Harry Zolnierczyk's game misconduct at the end of the game against Washington has been rescinded by the NHL. There will be no suspension or fine issued as a result of the kneeing penalty he was assessed.

The decision was not a surprise. Not even Capitals coach Adam Oates saw it as a dirty play, although Zolnierczyk's knee made contact with Mathieu Perreault on a late-game body check in open ice.... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

What has Pecknold done that couldn't have been done by someone else? He had the tools and he had the talent. He'll win, but there's no doubting that Whittet's done more with less. If Whittet had the talent level of the QU team, they'd probably be undefeated. You guys still lost to AIC.

Btw - Appreciate the input, but the Pecknold/QU love affair is kind of amusing. Any inkling from any other forums that they might have a differing opinion that QU isn't this mega giant leads me to believe that you guys are trolling with the "OMG QUINNIPIAC IS AWESOME! I LOVE QUINNIPIAC! GO BOBCATS! WE RULE! EVERYONE ELSE STINKS! RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD HARTZELL RULES"

You gotta pay the toll troll if you wanna get that boy's soul. -It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Why would they eat you alive? Your team earned a true split, so you have every right to gloat.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

PS - may or may not have channeled some type of inner ElGuapo34. I miss his posts.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    He will get some votes for sure but it would be hard pressed not to give it to Rand Pecknold after the season Quinnipiac is having.
    What has Pecknold done that couldn't have been done by someone else? He had the tools and he had the talent. He'll win, but there's no doubting that Whittet's done more with less. If Whittet had the talent level of the QU team, they'd probably be undefeated. You guys still lost to AIC.

Btw - Appreciate the input, but the Pecknold/QU love affair is kind of amusing. Any inkling from any other forums that they might have a differing opinion that QU isn't this mega giant leads me to believe that you guys are trolling with the "OMG QUINNIPIAC IS AWESOME! I LOVE QUINNIPIAC! GO BOBCATS! WE RULE! EVERYONE ELSE STINKS! RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD HARTZELL RULES"

You gotta pay the toll troll if you wanna get that boy's soul. -It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied
    Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    A few stats may help tell the story:

AARON VOLPATTI

Under Roger Grillo
    2006-2007: 5-2-7
    2007-2008: 4-6-10
    2008-2009: 6-7-13

Under Brendan Whittet
    2009-2010: 17-15-32

HARRY Z

Under Roger Grillo:
    2007-2008: 0-3-3
    2008-2009: 1-1-2

Under Brendan Whittet
    2009-2010: 13-20-33
    2010-2011: 16-15-31

Recruiting talent wasn't the main problem the Brown program faced under Grillo. His teams had a tendency to underperform.
    I was going to make this point but didn't feel like looking up the exact statistics. I think it's very clear what impact Grillo had on good hockey players.

Leave a comment:

• Euler18
    replied

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
    For sure. Shame/blame on Grillo for recruiting three NHL caliber players who put up big penalty minutes! I'm sure Brendan was happy to see them move on from the program.
    A few stats may help tell the story:

AARON VOLPATTI

Under Roger Grillo
    2006-2007: 5-2-7
    2007-2008: 4-6-10
    2008-2009: 6-7-13

Under Brendan Whittet
    2009-2010: 17-15-32

HARRY Z

Under Roger Grillo:
    2007-2008: 0-3-3
    2008-2009: 1-1-2

Under Brendan Whittet
    2009-2010: 13-20-33
    2010-2011: 16-15-31

Recruiting talent wasn't the main problem the Brown program faced under Grillo. His teams had a tendency to underperform.

Leave a comment:

• QUAlum2004
    replied

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Agreed. I do hope he'll come in second, however. You could make an argument for Seth Appert, as well.
    He's had a nice turnaround season from a year ago. I'd put him third or 4th depending on where you would put Greg Carvel who has turned St. Lawrence around in his first year. It's hard not to give coach of the year to a coach whose team is 16-1-3 in the league going into the final weekend where the 2nd place team is 12 points behind.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    He will get some votes for sure but it would be hard pressed not to give it to Rand Pecknold after the season Quinnipiac is having.
    Agreed. I do hope he'll come in second, however. You could make an argument for Seth Appert, as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X