X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    It is official just one more year until Big Ten Hockey. *gulp*
    At very least the gophers periodic issues are self inflicted. This might even be a positive as playing against schools of its own size might result in the gophers not always having itself circled on everyone elses calendars.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Mankato Free Press reported that AD Buisman wants a new head coach by the end of this month.

Guentzel's has expressed interest in the MSUM job and I would think he would be the top candidate over OTHERS mentioned.

If Guentzel takes the MSUM job, without a doubt it's a huge loss for the Gopher hockey program.
    When Lucia becomes head of big 10, it might mean we'd end up giving York a shot at coaching the gophers.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      From what I am told (from somebody that I know that talks to Guentzel pretty regularly), he's really not going to go to Mankato unless the salary blows away what Jutting made. They'd likely have to top the base salary that Sandelin (235K) and Pearson (250k) got last year from their respective schools. We are talking a minimum 100K more than Jutting got and probably even more. I don't see Mankato going that high. I'm not sure he'd really do it even if they did.
      Why would Guentzel need at least 100K more than Jutting to consider the job? Even though the MSUM AD has cut the budget over the last couple years, it seems their future athletic dept. marketing plan is now more centered around developing men's hockey as a stronger revenue stream starting with hiring a higher profile coach as one of its primary goals. An additional factor in the marketing plan is generating new sources of athletic dept. funding.

IIRC MG is making around 120K or so now, so even a slight pay hike, a chance to head coach in MN, and the WCHA, makes the offer very attractive. At the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations. The appointment should happen in the next 2-3 weeks, so we'll see..

Comment

Why would Guentzel need at least 100K more than Jutting to consider the job? Even though the MSUM AD has cut the budget over the last couple years, it seems their future athletic dept. marketing plan is now more centered around developing men's hockey as a stronger revenue stream starting with hiring a higher profile coach as one of its primary goals. An additional factor in the marketing plan is generating new sources of athletic dept. funding.

IIRC MG is making around 120K or so now, so even a slight pay hike, a chance to head coach in MN, and the WCHA, makes the offer very attractive. At the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations. The appointment should happen in the next 2-3 weeks, so we'll see..
        Mike made $120K as an assistant in 2007. I'd be stunned if he didn't make considerably more as an Associate Head Coach now. As for the rest of your question, I think Hammy summed it up pretty well in the Jutting thread:

If you are honest, the Mankato situation isn't without some sizable risks for a guy in Guentzel's situation. He knows that in his current spot, he is the unquestioned heir apparent for the Gophers. Especially after this recent season. Nobody would blink an eye around here if Guentzel were handed the head coach job at Minnesota this summer. If he leaves, he opens up the door for somebody else to step in and potentially take that top spot because Lucia won't be bringing in a "dog" asst coach like John Hill ever again. He learned his lesson there. Not to mention, if Guentzel did leave it won't help his case as the next Gopher coach if he has anything less than stellar results elsewhere. If he remains in his situation at Minnesota, the team is probably going to contend for trophies most years and he maintains his status.
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          Mike made $120K as an assistant in 2007. I'd be stunned if he didn't make considerably more as an Associate Head Coach now. As for the rest of your question, I think Hammy summed it up pretty well in the Jutting thread:
          Hill also made 120K in 2010, with a base pay of 104K reported according to the Minnesota Data Practices Act and published as a matter of public record. Yes, Mike Guentzel was given a pay increase last year, but "substantially more"? How much is that? Hammy's comments are pure speculation regarding his own perspective on potential scenarios and outcomes. In my view, Don Lucia will remain the head coach for years to come so he's probably not going to be a head coach for his alma-mater anytime soon. Both Guentzel and Eades have said they are happy at MN and UND respectively, but also understand "head coaching opportunities don’t come up often".

If Guentzel does take the MSUM job, there's little doubt in my mind he will be more successful than Jutting. When Lucia retires, and if Guentzel wants the job, he can apply for it. That's another scenario . Guentzel has told media sources, "I am sure it is an attractive situation and one in which I will look into further into in the coming days." Again, at the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations.
          Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Another wasted season for the Gophers.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Hill also made 120K in 2010, with a base pay of 104K reported according to the Minnesota Data Practices Act and published as a matter of public record. Yes, Mike Guentzel was given a pay increase last year, but "substantially more"? How much is that? Hammy's comments are pure speculation regarding his own perspective on potential scenarios and outcomes. In my view, Don Lucia will remain the head coach for years to come so he's probably not going to be a head coach for his alma-mater anytime soon. Both Guentzel and Eades have said they are happy at MN and UND respectively, but also understand "head coaching opportunities don’t come up often".

If Guentzel does take the MSUM job, there's little doubt in my mind he will be more successful than Jutting. When Lucia retires, and if Guentzel wants the job, he can apply for it. That's another scenario . Guentzel has told media sources, "I am sure it is an attractive situation and one in which I will look into further into in the coming days." Again, at the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations.
              From what I have heard, you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting Lucia to be around for another decade. And I read Mike's comments, and I heard him address the question on Beyond the Pond. Of course the guy wants to be a head coach, but that doesn't mean he's going to jump on the first opportunity that becomes available, especially considering where he is at. If the money is right, he may take it, but I don't think he'll take the job for just a little pay bump.

I'm guessing Eades gets the job.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                From what I have heard, you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting Lucia to be around for another decade. And I read Mike's comments, and I heard him address the question on Beyond the Pond. Of course the guy wants to be a head coach, but that doesn't mean he's going to jump on the first opportunity that becomes available, especially considering where he is at. If the money is right, he may take it, but I don't think he'll take the job for just a little pay bump.

I'm guessing Eades gets the job.
                From what you've heard? How reliable are your sources? Why would I be disappointed if Lucia leaves in less than a decade? You seem to make a lot of unwise assumptions in your comments when actually we ALL know very little about what Lucia and MG are thinking. You're also assuming that the MSUM job is all about the cash with MG. How do you know that's true? It's also been known for years, that MG's longstanding dream is to be a head coach.

I repeat again, at the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations.

Comment

From what you've heard? How reliable are your sources? Why would I be disappointed if Lucia leaves in less than a decade? You seem to make a lot of unwise assumptions in your comments when actually we ALL know very little about what Lucia and MG are thinking. You're also assuming that the MSUM job is all about the cash with MG. How do you know that's true? It's also been known for years, that MG's longstanding dream is to be a head coach.

I repeat again, at the end of the day it all depends how MG weighs in on his financial options, his current position and the strength of his head coaching aspirations.
                  We'll see. He'll be a head coach some day. This won't be his only opportunity.

Comment

Why? Because he's in a great position now and is in line to be the next guy at the highest paying gig in college hockey. A guy leaves for another job and it opens the door for somebody else to possibly step into that cat bird seat. If MTU is going to hire a similar assistant coach from a high profile D1 school and give him 250K a year... why should MG expect any less to leave his alma mater? If they really want MG, they'd have to pay serious money to do it.
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

It's also been known for years, that MG's longstanding dream is to be a head coach.
                      His dream isn't to coach just any D1 team. He could have done that far sooner than this if that was the goal. It's not like this is the first head coach job opening in college hockey in the last 5 or 10 years. Believe it or not, achieving a title change and a raise doesn't equate to immediate happiness. It's going to take a lot to get him to leave here. Maybe Mankato is willing to pony up... but I have my doubts.

That's pretty much what every guy has to consider for any potential job change.
                      University of Minnesota

Comment

Hammy's comments are pure speculation regarding his own perspective on potential scenarios and outcomes.
                        Some (not all) of what I have mentioned came right from the source. Not sure how that qualifies as "pure speculation".
                        University of Minnesota

Comment

Guentzel is safe, cause I'm applying for the Mankato job
                          Bob is making me concerned
                          I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                            Have fun in the Little Six. I know Penn state is a huge rival. Mary Oochie will be SRO when Ohio and Penn come to town, right?
                            Here is a Kleenex because you are crying like a new born baby.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

*****http://kambuja2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/mosquito_repel_deet1.gif?w=300&h=136******

See if this helps.

Comment

His dream isn't to coach just any D1 team. He could have done that far sooner than this if that was the goal. It's not like this is the first head coach job opening in college hockey in the last 5 or 10 years. Believe it or not, achieving a title change and a raise doesn't equate to immediate happiness. It's going to take a lot to get him to leave here. Maybe Mankato is willing to pony up... but I have my doubts.
                                I don't know. A title change and raise is all I really want at this point of my career. Of course I don't coach hockey for a living so not sure if I'm qualified to say anything. But that's never stopped me before!

Comment

Working...
                                X