• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humanoid
    replied
    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    I talked to some of your boys and they were calm/excited/ classy. Well represented Bentley. Looking forward to saying hello again. Glad to add to your thread.. safe travels guys and good luck this season.

One note though: Our freshmen netminder Rutledge apparently had some minor eye surgery and is having irritation with contacts, also. He is most likely out for the exhibitions this weekend/next week and may not play in the RIT series. Not sure if he'll be back for Bentley.
    A hearty thanks. Sometimes we get emotional about the team, but Bentley hockey couldn't exist if teams like Michigan weren't willing to play them. In a way it legitimizes the program. It harkens back to a different era. There's something romantic about hockey where it can have a team like Michigan with all its glitter and glitz and rich history play a plucky little school like Bentley. It's an awesome opportunity, and I'm only sorry I can't go out there to witness it.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Trent Bonnett has signed to play pro hockey with the Mississippi Surge in Biloxi in the SPHL. I know I'm a little late to the party in reporting this.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-a-laser-beam/

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I really thought that our coaching staff had our guys totally relaxed last year at Yost. At least that is the way our players appeared to me as they got off the bus and walked by our 60-strong tail-gating greeting party outside Yost before the Friday night game.

Bentley's visit at Yost was definitely my favorite weekend of college hockey ever, which includes 10 Frozen Fours, four that included my alma mater UNH. Perhaps it is my long-time connection to U Michigan through their geology field camp in Wyoming and my tough decision to attend Maine instead of Michigan for my first graduate degree. I am really pleased that we got invited back to Yost for a game this season, and regret that I cannot attend this time around. Hope that the Falcons can hang tough for a full 60 minutes this year.

Thanks for the comments, Streaker. I do not know Humanoid, but if I hear of someone streaking across Bentley's campus around 10 pm on October 19th, I will know the reason!
    I talked to some of your boys and they were calm/excited/ classy. Well represented Bentley. Looking forward to saying hello again. Glad to add to your thread.. safe travels guys and good luck this season.

One note though: Our freshmen netminder Rutledge apparently had some minor eye surgery and is having irritation with contacts, also. He is most likely out for the exhibitions this weekend/next week and may not play in the RIT series. Not sure if he'll be back for Bentley.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    Streaker - appreciate the input, and I can only hope that your name refers to winning and not what I'll do through Bentley's campus if they beat Michigan.

I heard a rumor that Michigan is providing Bentley's team with tickets to the Saturday football game as part of goodwill for going out to the hockey trip. I think that puts Bentley in the Big House for the Michigan St. game? it's still a very classy act of goodwill if true by the Michigan athletic department towards the visiting team.

I know that Bentley is taking a much different approach. From conversations with different people associated with the program, the team is a little bit more numb to the atmosphere of a place like Yost, which is a far cry from the JAR. But what they might've gotten bug-eyes at last year is boiling down to the fact that it's still frozen water (and a bunch of chemicals from the Zamboni) and it's no different from JAR ice except that it's probably a little bit smoother and a lotta bit cleaner.

It'll be very interesting, especially since Michigan is smack dab in the middle of some big games out this way. i'm kind of excited that Bentley isn't playing UMass-Lowell on the 13th so they'll be better rested for Michigan. I also anticipate that Komm will play at Michigan but not against Alabama-Huntsville. He was too overtaxed next year.

Then again I could be wrong.
    Hey, no problem. This is a secret now... but my nickname came about innocently as I am not very fleet afoot on skates. The boys I used to play with used to catcall as I skated by about how I could "streak" down the ice. Michael Ontkean I am not. I am an old timer around here, so I just never felt like changing it.

If what you say is true, and I have some moles checking it out, then you would indeed have your team see the MSU game. It will be a dandy.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Dan's AHA champion is Air Force.

Shocker - so's everyone else's pick. I guess someone's going to have to unseat them at some point right?

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...s-1-air-force/

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Wow, that is an impressive collection, Ryan. Thanks for posting on our thread. Will look into the Bentley jersey thing for you. Meanwhile, this thread recently passed 20,000 views when I was not paying attention.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Hey, that must be a large closet for all of those jerseys?
    Well, honestly it's more like a warehouse.

Just kidding - this is the real display and includes most of the collection.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Well yes, I would expect to pay for them. I have offered mutliple times over the years, but no one returns an email or a phone call so that is why I decided to ask here and try a different approach.
    Ryan J
    I am assuming that Bentley may have new jerseys with the new Bentley brand logo this season. Bentley only added player names to some of their jerseys for the first time in many years last season. I will ask around about old jerseys, pester the bookstore again, and report back here once the season begins. Hey, that must be a large closet for all of those jerseys?

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    I've found a donation to the program helps. Go figure.
    Well yes, I would expect to pay for them. I have offered mutliple times over the years, but no one returns an email or a phone call so that is why I decided to ask here and try a different approach.
    Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

A friend has a Troy Wiebler jersey from years ago, given away at end of season.

I tried to talk the Bentley Bookstore into selling nylon jersey replicas, but they would not bite. They only sell hockey t-shirts.
    I guarantee these would sell too. The students would scoop them up. Or at least tshirts that look like the jerseys. That's annoying.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

We have Bentley slated at 2nd in the AHA this year. Go ahead and call us homers. But we think this team is going to be something special.... as long as it all comes together.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...les-2-bentley/

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Sorry for the off topic post, but I would love to add a couple Bentley jerseys to my collection. I'm trying to get at least one from Every D-I team. Can someone give me an idea what the team does with them once they are no longer used? Sold outright? Raffle? Give-a-ways?

Thanks,
    Ryan J
    A friend has a Troy Wiebler jersey from years ago, given away at end of season.

I tried to talk the Bentley Bookstore into selling nylon jersey replicas, but they would not bite. They only sell hockey t-shirts.

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied

Sorry for the off topic post, but I would love to add a couple Bentley jerseys to my collection. I'm trying to get at least one from Every D-I team. Can someone give me an idea what the team does with them once they are no longer used? Sold outright? Raffle? Give-a-ways?

Thanks,
    Ryan J
    I've found a donation to the program helps. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Thanks,
    Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

You know.. we run preseason predictions and capsules, but the fact remains that any of these teams in the top 6 for the AHA could finish anywhere in that spot. The toughest thing to think through was the whole "Who can beat who on this night" thing. Unfortunately, too often it boils down to who played the night before, who needs a rest, who's running a hot streak. Looking at these teams on pure paper statistics might be the toughest thing we've done in a long time.

The fact remains that a loss in November against Robert Morris doesn't seem like a lot, but if you go back to last year and put back that 6-6 tie against Holy Cross when Bentley was winning, then had to come from behind on a Tuesday night? If they win that game, they're the 4 or the 5. Instead they were the 6. If they don't blow that game against Army last year at home and lose 3-1, AND they don't blow that Holy Cross game, there's three points and all of a sudden Bentley has the same amount of points as Air Force. And I'm not sure but since Bentley took 3 points from Air Force last year, that would've given them the top seed.

What's this mean? It means Bentley can win those games, and I personally think they do this year. The playoffs are another story though. That's a crapshoot.

And yes, this will probably be an article at some point for those of you who are wondering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X