• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eXcSports
    replied
    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    But, incredibly sloppy game with a ridiculous number of penalties tonight. No flow at all to the game; Bentley simply dominated despite playing over half the third period short-handed, but that made little difference for the Pioneers, who have limited depth or scoring potential. Despite the mismatch, Bentley was up only 1-0 after the first. Very strange box score to see all the goals made by special teams, with Bentley getting four PPGs and three shorties. The Pioneers only goal was on a 5-3. Other than a couple Pioneer 5-3 opportunities, Komm was rarely tested, whereas both Pioneer goalies got pummeled the entire night.

I thought Bentley's four frosh played well, with Andrew Gladiuk getting a goal and an assist through centering the second line between Frosh Tyler Krause and Senior Joe Campanelli. Krause also got an assist. I do not know how Bentley's 39 shots on net were distributed, but the first line carry over from last season (Grieve, Gensler, and Switzer) had a bunch. The other three lines seemed very well balanced, with Breton, Kubiak, and Fitzstephens making up the third line and Rickford, Hartung, and Koudys (two seniors) making up the fourth. I think that the Falcons are going to be wearing down a lot of teams by the third period, if not the second period this season. I liked the defensive pairings, with Frosh Matt Bloomquist and Kyle O'Brien joining Sophomores Steve Weinstein and Matt Maher on the first and second unit, respectively, with the Junior Zachs (Ledford and Marginsky) filling out the third pairing.

But, the best part of this game was the opening ceremony when the Falcons paid tribute to Mike Eden, who passed away from cancer last spring, and Mike's family, who was in attendance. Mike's sister dropped the puck for the ceremonial opening face off. The entire team wore Eden's name stitched onto the back of their yellow jerseys. Very cool.

Finally, the Falcons Nest fans were out in force and were on the Pioneer goalies' cases all night long. The stands at the far end were nearly full with Bentley fans for the second period, per usual, but one could argue that all those students who left after the second needed to get back to the books, as afterall, Tuesday is a school night.

Good luck to the Falcons in Ann Arbor on Friday night. Too bad they did not get the benefit of the originally scheduled game against UML at Tsongas last weekend before facing the Wolverines. But, I do not think that the Falcons will get blown out, and I am even thinking about choosing them for an upset in the Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em this week.
    Game summary here:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...cons-past-shu/

I'll be taking care of a report card before Friday's game against Michigan and also doing an article about the EDEN name plates. What a great night to be at the JAR if you were a Bentley fan. Very emotional but very great at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

But, incredibly sloppy game with a ridiculous number of penalties tonight. No flow at all to the game; Bentley simply dominated despite playing over half the third period short-handed, but that made little difference for the Pioneers, who have limited depth or scoring potential. Despite the mismatch, Bentley was up only 1-0 after the first. Very strange box score to see all the goals made by special teams, with Bentley getting four PPGs and three shorties. The Pioneers only goal was on a 5-3. Other than a couple Pioneer 5-3 opportunities, Komm was rarely tested, whereas both Pioneer goalies got pummeled the entire night.

I thought Bentley's four frosh played well, with Andrew Gladiuk getting a goal and an assist through centering the second line between Frosh Tyler Krause and Senior Joe Campanelli. Krause also got an assist. I do not know how Bentley's 39 shots on net were distributed, but the first line carry over from last season (Grieve, Gensler, and Switzer) had a bunch. The other three lines seemed very well balanced, with Breton, Kubiak, and Fitzstephens making up the third line and Rickford, Hartung, and Koudys (two seniors) making up the fourth. I think that the Falcons are going to be wearing down a lot of teams by the third period, if not the second period this season. I liked the defensive pairings, with Frosh Matt Bloomquist and Kyle O'Brien joining Sophomores Steve Weinstein and Matt Maher on the first and second unit, respectively, with the Junior Zachs (Ledford and Marginsky) filling out the third pairing.

But, the best part of this game was the opening ceremony when the Falcons paid tribute to Mike Eden, who passed away from cancer last spring, and Mike's family, who was in attendance. Mike's sister dropped the puck for the ceremonial opening face off. The entire team wore Eden's name stitched onto the back of their yellow jerseys. Very cool.

Finally, the Falcons Nest fans were out in force and were on the Pioneer goalies' cases all night long. The stands at the far end were nearly full with Bentley fans for the second period, per usual, but one could argue that all those students who left after the second needed to get back to the books, as afterall, Tuesday is a school night.

Good luck to the Falcons in Ann Arbor on Friday night. Too bad they did not get the benefit of the originally scheduled game against UML at Tsongas last weekend before facing the Wolverines. But, I do not think that the Falcons will get blown out, and I am even thinking about choosing them for an upset in the Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em this week.
    Thanks for the solid summary. Choosing an upset at Michigan is fashionable, so why change?

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

I was standing by the door when the Eden family walked in during warmups. Mike's mom and aunt just had tears start streaming down her face when she saw the EDEN nameplates. The team played this one very close to the vest and didn't want publicity for it because they simply wanted to surprise the family with the gesture. Mike's sister was wearing her brother's jersey, and it was a very emotional scene. During the opening ceremonial faceoff, Dan Koudys was also crying as he hugged Mike's family.

The Falcons Nest also got into it, printing out the number 8 on sheets of paper and holding them up as Mike's family took the ice. It was a great moment, and I think it's one of those that makes us realize that this program means more than just hockey to a lot of different people. When the argument is there for the program being a legitimate D1 hockey program, yes, the rink is a dive, and yes, the team hasn't won squat at the D1 level. But this program means so much to so many people, and if it wasn't there, it wouldn't do nearly what it did last night. It was a serene, amazing moment that I felt honored to be a part of.

That said, apparently there was an earthquake in Maine last night that vibrated down to the Boston area. According to people on the ice and in the stands, the JAR didn't really sway or vibrate (because, well, it's the JAR), but some water rained in from the ceiling. After the earthquake, Bentley's offense exploded.

Religious beliefs or differences aside, there are some things that just can't be explained.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Snively - some good analysis as always.

It's clear that Bentley's offense has weapons this year. SHU isn't a great team, but this offense was rocking all night. Splitting Steve Weinstein and Matt Maher created MORE offense on the defensive side, and Weinstein saw plenty of ice time with Matt Blomquist. Blomquist was the biggest surprise of the night; he's a guy who came in with a scouting report of not being physical, but he was all over the place and throwing his body around. I especially like the offensive prowess on the power play and the PK unit, since Bentley can now roll three forward and 2 dmen as opposed to 4 forwards on the lines. They plyaed 4 Forwards on the 5-on-3, but that's because the other team doesn't get short handed rushes down that many men.

The 2-man PK was an issue. A couple of issues I saw - 1) you shouldn't even be in that position so take this with a grain of salt. 2) Bentley rolled a line of Kubiak, O'Brien, and I think Maher on the 5-on-3 PK. last year, the top line was Nudy-Switzer-Bonnett/Kayfes with a second line of Stonacek-Williams-Bonnet/Kayfes. Clearly, with all of those players sans Kubiak gone, there was going to be massive turnover, especially since nobody is back. The triangle broke down over the course of that exchange, and they hung poor Komm out to dry. SHU had that goal gift wrapped just by passing and playing the system. That iwll get better with time, though.

A little different this week against Michigan. Hot rumor says Komm will start, and Bentley's going out there with purpose. Then again, as good as they looked last night, MIchigan is a much different team than Sacred Heart.

As for the students, trumpets were out (literally) last night, and the students were rocking. Hopefully it's like this all season, and it's going to be louder at Harvard next week. The crowd thinned out witht he issue no longer in doubt late in the 2nd period, after Brett Hartung and Dan Koudys threw down with a couple of Pioneers and ended with Koudys getting 12 minutes in penalties and Hartung sitting on top of the net. It is midterm week, though, so take it from whilst it comes from.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Only question is did they take my advice and change the fish for fresh whole chickens to throw on the ice.
    No fish and no chickens were thrown, which I think is a good thing. But, the stands were rockin' with Bentley students, especially during the second period.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
    7-1

That went well.

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied

Only question is did they take my advice and change the fish for fresh whole chickens to throw on the ice.

Leave a comment:

• Eaglefan06
    replied

7-1

That went well.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post

Good thing that the temperature dropped off today, as we might have been fogged out at the JAR had this game been played last night.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Game prep #1 for Sacred Heart:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-sacred-heart/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    Don't forget about my AHA week in review! (shameless plug)

I'm excited for tomorrow. Who else!! LETS GOOOO
    H - here's the week in review. Thanks for reminding me to post it.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...oundup-101512/

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    Mailbag time from Dan at excalibur.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...ey-bag-101512/
    Don't forget about my AHA week in review! (shameless plug)

I'm excited for tomorrow. Who else!! LETS GOOOO

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Amazing! Did Hahvad sell out any games last season?
    I don't know if they considered some of them sell outs but they do a good job drawing. They also do not take into consideration that an entire section under the press box is the band. I've been there a couple time; great arena reminiscent of old Water Brown. Don't know if it was a sell out, but I agree with schiegs. If you're thinking of going, get your tickets earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Mailbag time from Dan at excalibur.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...ey-bag-101512/

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

FYI: Michigan is down two d-men now for the Bentley game, as Kevin Clare suffered what is deemed to be a shoulder injury in Friday night's game against RIT.

That will insert our last reserve d-man, preferred walk-on sophomore Michael Szuma into the lineup. He saw action in 3 games last season.

No word on whether two other freshmen who were out last weekend due to injuries will enter the lineup. It is speculated that Steve Racine will start in net, but that will depend on Berenson.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X