• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snively65
    replied
    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Good stuff, Dan.

I just looked at my Ledyard Tourney tickets (UNH - Dartmouth) and discovered that the games have been moved back two days so now conflict with Bentley at Tsongas; bummer.
    Last edited by Snively65; 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

And an offensive review (well... if I could review the whole half season in 1,000 words) on the first half of the year.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...son-in-review/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Some of the Falcons in the pro ranks - mostly down in the SPHL these days.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...y-in-the-pros/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    No idea on a TV broadcast, but will go the Falcons - River Hawks (what is a river hawk, anyway?) game with my brother, who will be visiting from Colorado. UML beat Harvard 5-0 this past weekend, and Harvard beat us 5-0 at the end of October, so the Falcons will need "some energy in their legs," as well as a return to greater goal scoring and some stellar defense to win our first game ever against the River Hawks.
    Will be there to cover the game. More detail later!

Here's the first half review of the AHA as it were:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...s-aha-edition/

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    It's going to be a quiet couple of weeks without hockey. Hopefully the team can regroup through exams, get some home cooking over the holidays, and come back for Umass-Lowell with some energy in their legs. Any word on if that game's going to be broadcast?
    No idea on a TV broadcast, but will go the Falcons - River Hawks (what is a river hawk, anyway?) game with my brother, who will be visiting from Colorado. UML beat Harvard 5-0 this past weekend, and Harvard beat us 5-0 at the end of October, so the Falcons will need "some energy in their legs," as well as a return to greater goal scoring and some stellar defense to win our first game ever against the River Hawks.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Falcons vs Falcons back normal for the past three years, playing to a 2-2 tie tonight. Passing was rough for both sides tonight, as the pucks were on edge most of the time, perhaps because of the warm temperature? Dougherty played well in goal tonight. Bentley dominated the OT with some great scoring chances (5 SOG), but could not get the game winner, so goes into the break with just 1 point over the past four games. Bentley will need a strong second half of the season to earn a bye, as a lot of other teams around them in the standings have 1 to 3 games in hand. Offense still leads Div 1 with a 3.80 GPG average, and Gensler leads St. Lawrence's Flanagan by a point and UNH's Goumas by two points, all with 15 games played.
    I had a couple of observations from this weekend as well:

1) It looks like the team lost confidence in Komm by the end of the semester. I don't know what's going on, but he was completely frozen and taken out of the game mentally by the first two AFA goals on Friday. He had a good first period, and then he just caved in during the second. Coupled with his performance against Dartmouth and the fact that a SHG beat them against Army, I'm starting to think the team started to lose some confidence in him. He has game-breaking ability, but he needed a break in a bad way and can rebound second half of the year. I remind everyone that BC last year went to Billett and benched Milner in the middle of the year. Not that Bentley is BC, but it's a good case study.

2) This team is exactly where it needs to be at this point in the season. They're knocking on the door for the first round bye, and they still have 8 games left against divisional opponents. I'm not impressed with Holy Cross or Army, just like I'm not sold on RIT being as bad as they are. If Bentley can earn a split with RIT, take a point by act of God up at Niagara, then get squared down the stretch in February, they'll enter the playoffs as the 3 or 4 seed most likely. And, honestly, I don't need Bentley to be the 1st place team if they're the 4th. All they need is a bye, and they're probably headed to Rochester for the first time since '09.

3) The defense is not progressing as I'd like. There's major concerns, and I think a lot of it is mental. Weinstein really fought the puck this past weekend, and the frustration showed because he picked up his hitting....and he's not a physical guy. Reardon had to move up to forward to provide a big body, and his compete level is somewhere around a 5 gajillion. Fitzstephens is such a hard worker; he reminds me of Anders Olson or Justin Kemmerer back in the day. They belonged in that lineup just to stabilize it from a compete level in front of the goalie. But, at the same time, it's not about how they're starting. ALl they need to do is get on a roll at the end of the year.

4) Last January, BC lost three of four, including a sweep to Maine where they gave up 7 goals. They fell to 14-10-1 overall and 10-7-1 in Hockey East. In 2010, they were 5-3-2 at one point, 4-3-2 in conference play. In both seasons, they got on rolls that started in February. In '10, they lost two games after February 1st. Last year, they didn't lose any (nor did they tie any). If Bentley can use this as a model, they're right where they need to be. Niagara is peaking early, and in a one-game series, Bentley has the genetic makeup to go toe-to-toe with them. There's no way they can keep it up. Army isn't as good as their stats would indicate, and Mercyhurst is a concern but beatable. Bentley should've swept them, to be honest. Holy Cross is wildly overrated.

What I'm getting at is that Bentley will enter the second half of the year with the expectation that the first half was treading water and the second half is where they need to explode. That means Komm needs to right the ship, the defense needs to finish gelling, and the offense needs to be cranking. Gensler needs to keep up this pace, and I think he will. Grieve needs to get moving. Gladiuk is a revelation. This team is set up to make a run next year that could be epic with the right recruiting class.... but I think this year's team can get moving and do it sooner if the right chips fall the right way. But the second half of the year is the key.

It's going to be a quiet couple of weeks without hockey. Hopefully the team can regroup through exams, get some home cooking over the holidays, and come back for Umass-Lowell with some energy in their legs. Any word on if that game's going to be broadcast?

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Falcons vs Falcons back normal for the past three years, playing to a 2-2 tie tonight. Passing was rough for both sides tonight, as the pucks were on edge most of the time, perhaps because of the warm temperature? Dougherty played well in goal tonight. Bentley dominated the OT with some great scoring chances (5 SOG), but could not get the game winner, so goes into the break with just 1 point over the past four games. Bentley will need a strong second half of the season to earn a bye, as a lot of other teams around them in the standings have 1 to 3 games in hand. Offense still leads Div 1 with a 3.80 GPG average, and Gensler leads St. Lawrence's Flanagan by a point and UNH's Goumas by two points, all with 15 games played.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Giving up 6 goals (and an ENG) not a good way to begin the weekend. Never before seen a goalie pulled for an EA when down 6-3. Need the split tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Snively65; 12-08-2012, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Amen, brother.
    I have some major concerns about the arena. I really thought they'd have announced something by now, especially coming off last year's high and this year's already-peaking fan interest. The school seemed really behind the program, and I thought they'd have done something by now. It's gotta be s--t or get off the pot for the administration. They either need to make the commitment before realignment or be content to be throwing money into something that is always playing up and better than they should be. They either need to act like a D1 program or not. And I, for one, am starting to get aggravated. It's the end of the first semester, and still nothing.

I had heard in the past that they'd be announcing it very soon, but they didn't. I heard that it was an issue from the City of Waltham and then I heard there was an issue with the funding. I've heard conflicting reports, and I don't know what's going on. There's rumors for everything, but I guess they're all just that. Until the school actually picks up the tab on something, this team might be content to skate at the JAR and not make the jump.

Air Force in town and the game prep was posted. Game notes are up at Bentley's website too. I really hope this team can take 3 points. They need it having lost their last two.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...force-academy/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Air Force in town this week. Oh Frank. We love you.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...he-full-frank/

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied

If you peruse our entire thread, you will see lots of disparaging comments about our home ice facility. Would be great if we could build an arena similar to Thompson Rink on our campus at Bentley, even if smaller, with say 2000 to 2500 seats.
    Amen, brother.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by Eleazar11 View Post
    Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Thompson. I think we're spoiled with that arena up in Hanover. There are no students on campus right now, which might explain why the rink was only half full. The Dartmouth fall quarter is now finished by Thanksgiving (which seems like a ridiculously long break to me). There's usually a great turnout from the locals for the Ledyard Tournament. Thanks for reminding me I should get my tickets.

Good luck the rest of the way.
    Thanks. I forgot that Dartmouth was on quarters instead of semesters; not too many of those schools left, especially in the East. If you peruse our entire thread, you will see lots of disparaging comments about our home ice facility. Would be great if we could build an arena similar to Thompson Rink on our campus at Bentley, even if smaller, with say 2000 to 2500 seats.

Leave a comment:

• Eleazar11
    replied

My first time at Thompson Rink, despite most of a lifetime living in New Hampshire. Nice arena, seats about 4500, was built in 1975, 10 years after Snively was built at my alma mater, UNH. Thompson Rink was only about half full tonight, which was surprising, as a few years ago I tried to get tickets for a holiday tournament there only to find that it was sold out. I will be back for the Ledyard tournament at the end of December for the UMass - Bemidji and UNH - Dartmouth games; bought my tickets in advance this time.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Thompson. I think we're spoiled with that arena up in Hanover. There are no students on campus right now, which might explain why the rink was only half full. The Dartmouth fall quarter is now finished by Thanksgiving (which seems like a ridiculously long break to me). There's usually a great turnout from the locals for the Ledyard Tournament. Thanks for reminding me I should get my tickets.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
    Rough go up at Dartmouth but not disappointing by any stretch.

Here's a read for everyone, more towards feature based than actually analytical. Touching on Brett Gensler and the Hobey Baker Award

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/12/02/family-first/

Wish that the AHA might get some recognition with another Hobey candidate (we have had a couple in recent years), but will see what happens over the next few games with Gensler's scoring, as opponents are gunning for his line now. Dan, you mentioned Kyle Flanagan and Johnny Gaudreau, but not Kevin Goumas at UNH. I think that Goumas and Gensler are very similar players and I would love to see both get some recognition as Hobey candidates this season. But, the neat thing is that they are both only juniors (and Gaudreau is only a sophomore, of course, but Flanagan graduates after this year). But, Niagara's Carsen Chubak may be the AHA's best Hobey prospect at this point in the season; he has been unreal so far.
    Last edited by Snively65; 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Rough go up at Dartmouth but not disappointing by any stretch.

Here's a read for everyone, more towards feature based than actually analytical. Touching on Brett Gensler and the Hobey Baker Award

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/12/02/family-first/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X