X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIT Winters
    replied
    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

FWIW I think that any perceived rivalry with RIT is one-sided. The RIT fan base, in general, does not consider Bentley a rival.

I certainly think we respect the strides your program has made, though.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by Sons of Vaval View Post
    I think that HC - Bentley is developing into a nice rivalry. The schools are just about 45 minutes from each other, and both programs are in the upper half of Atlantic Hockey most years.

The HC hockey fan base is a bit of an apathetic one, especially because hockey plays second fiddle to football and basketball. I imagine that hockey is the marquee sport at Bentley, right?

There's definitely an increased interest in hockey at HC, but not sure there's enough just yet for us to have a real rival. I suspect that most fans would consider RIT to be the most hated rival at the moment.

Always plenty of jawing between Bentley and HC fans during games though...
    No, football and men's and women's basketball are much bigger sports at Bentley than hockey, which probably explains in part why our hockey team still plays its home games in an old MDC rink off campus in Watertown. However, in the past couple of years, Bentley students have been showing better attendance at our home hockey games, as Bentley has been running a shuttle from campus, which sometimes works, but other times leaves students stranded. A group of particularly gung ho Bentley students have established an area at the far end of the stands that they call the Falcons Nest, with large banner to boot. So, although we have a long ways to go to match the Holy Cross fans and venue at Hart, we are doing better. Most Bentley fans consider Holy Cross out greatest rival, I think. Despite hotly contested recent games both regular and post-season with RIT, the two schools are too far apart to become classic rivals, in my opinion. I try to get over to Hart for Bentley games whenever I can; wish that we had a similar rink on campus at Bentley.
    Last edited by Snively65; 01-21-2013, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sons of Vaval
    replied

By the way, all hockey discussion occurs on the Holy Cross board: http://s2.excoboard.com/Crossports/33739

Leave a comment:

• Sons of Vaval
    replied

I think that HC - Bentley is developing into a nice rivalry. The schools are just about 45 minutes from each other, and both programs are in the upper half of Atlantic Hockey most years.

The HC hockey fan base is a bit of an apathetic one, especially because hockey plays second fiddle to football and basketball. I imagine that hockey is the marquee sport at Bentley, right?

There's definitely an increased interest in hockey at HC, but not sure there's enough just yet for us to have a real rival. I suspect that most fans would consider RIT to be the most hated rival at the moment.

Always plenty of jawing between Bentley and HC fans during games though...

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Couldn't agree more ( viewing from the box score).

I know we like to think of HC as our rival, but does anyone know if the feeling is actually mutual?
    Oh, yeah. Their fans do not post here, but they show up at the JAR and our fans are traveling better to Hart. :-)

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied
    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    A lot of Falcons fans will say good to see our team get their scoring touch back tonight with the 7-2 thrashing of the visiting Griffs. And, great balanced scoring, as I never would have guessed that the Falcons could rack up 7 goals with only one going to Gensler. But, I say more important to see Bentley's D tighten up, in no small part helped by their disciplined play and third lowest penalty minutes per game in Div 1.

Home and home with the Cross this coming weekend will be a huge test for the Falcons.
    Couldn't agree more ( viewing from the box score).

I know we like to think of HC as our rival, but does anyone know if the feeling is actually mutual?
    Last edited by schiegs; 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

A lot of Falcons fans will say good to see our team get their scoring touch back tonight with the 7-2 thrashing of the visiting Griffs. And, great balanced scoring, as I never would have guessed that the Falcons could rack up 7 goals with only one going to Gensler. But, I say more important to see Bentley's D tighten up, in no small part helped by their disciplined play and third lowest penalty minutes per game in Div 1.

Home and home with the Cross this coming weekend will be a huge test for the Falcons.

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied

First home OT victory in eight years. Wow.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Very good, hard fought win last night that proved the team is capable of a few things. Everything taken away last night is a positive except for one thing:

- Brett Switzer is waking up in a big way. He was back on the top line yesterday because he's been playing very well. He did a great job moving without the puck, cycling into the slot, moving and drawing attention. Bentley took a chance last night by dropping Brett Gensler to the third line for most of the game, and it had a feel like Rocky switching to fight right handed in Rocky 2.

- Speaking of Gensler, when Bentley did switch back to south paw, they put him back on the top line with Grieve (who had been skating second line center) and Switzer. That was the top line last year. And boy did it pay off in OT. Grieve got stood up but got the puck to Gensler. Gensler fed Switzer. Boom. Goal. Game over. What a play.

- Tony Capobianco comes as advertised, but Bentley CAN solve him. I think he's very good and very capable, but I don't think he's other worldly. Bentley had him beat on several occasions, and had the offense been positioned in the right place, they could've made it worse than a 3-2 OT game. The defense in front of Capobianco played on its head to keep the Falcons out of good position. They have a tremendous overall D unit, which the goalie, who is obviously VERY good, benefits to get to the next level.

- Bentley defense is still improving, and now they're getting to the next level just as Ryan Soderquist has said in interviews. He's had the exact same message every single week, and it's paying off. Outside of one turnover which led to a SHG for Canisius, Bentley is getting to the next level. And they took care of business in the way they had to.

- Bentley hasn't swept or taken 3 points from Canisius since the divisional pod format was introduced. If they can do that tonight, it's gravy. In the math posted online, Bentley needed a sweep. Tonight is playing with house money.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
    Game preps ready to go. Big ones this weekend folks. Hopefully the Nest is out in full force.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2013/...isius-college/
    "If both [play off series] are sweeps, they’d have to make the NCAA Tournament. If they avoid the first round altogether by virtue of a bye, they’d break the record [of 40 games in one season] only by making the Frozen Four."

I would like to see this last scenario happen. :-)

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Game preps ready to go. Big ones this weekend folks. Hopefully the Nest is out in full force.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2013/...isius-college/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Ok boys and girls - back at it with a look into the stretch run of scenarios heading into Canisius.

Let's Geaux Falcons!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2013/...e-time-is-now/

Leave a comment:

• schiegs
    replied

The newer "back" entrance road to the athletics area, Field Road out to Linden Street, has an area that was back filled before their environmental permit expired. It currently is mostly vacant with a dirt parking lot and a shotput cage. This is where the original plan had a rink going.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    The latest rumor I've heard is that the school is holding off on building the arena until they get the funds to build an all-purpose massive arena that's going to be the centerpiece of campus. I'm guessing it'll be used for indoor graduation, public speakers, and concerts for Spring Weekend since the Dana Center is not conducive to any of that. It'll be similar to the Polisseni Center being built up at RIT, albeit on a slightly smaller level. I still have no idea where it would be built, but if I had to guess, I'd say in the back behind the baseball field. THat doesn't really make it a centerpiece, though, so I honestly have no idea where it would go without tearing something down.

The Dana Center is not coming down, so that's out. The only other place is on the tennis courts, but I doubt those will be torn up.
    About 7-8 years ago, soon after President Morone left, Bentley had approval from the Waltham Conservation Commission, and also the City Council, I think, to build a rink behind the Dana Center, which was the last open space available on campus for a sizeable new structure. I also remember hearing at the time that any rink built on campus also would serve other purposes as you describe. As a centerpiece for the lower campus, it would make sense to build adjacent to Beaver Street, and move the tennis courts to the space behind the Dana Center. I am guessing that the parking deck on lower campus probably was engineered to allow for another level to be added. I hope that if such a structure is built that it will be desgined to receive LEED certificaiton, which will be a real chalenge for a hockey rink.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Was at the SoCal alumni chapter party last night. Let's just say the idea of an on campus arena is not dead. At all.
    The latest rumor I've heard is that the school is holding off on building the arena until they get the funds to build an all-purpose massive arena that's going to be the centerpiece of campus. I'm guessing it'll be used for indoor graduation, public speakers, and concerts for Spring Weekend since the Dana Center is not conducive to any of that. It'll be similar to the Polisseni Center being built up at RIT, albeit on a slightly smaller level. I still have no idea where it would be built, but if I had to guess, I'd say in the back behind the baseball field. THat doesn't really make it a centerpiece, though, so I honestly have no idea where it would go without tearing something down.

The Dana Center is not coming down, so that's out. The only other place is on the tennis courts, but I doubt those will be torn up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X