Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

In case anyone missed Dan's final three capsule summaries for the top three teams at the end of the upcoming AHA regular season, here they are. Of course, I would be delighted if Bentley can finish in the No. 2 slot for a bye, but as I noted in an earlier post, I think that any of the top six teams can win the regular season this year, just like last year, thanks in part to the imbalanced schedule.

Dan suggested in his Mercyhurt capsule that their coach must not like playing games in Erie as they only have 14 out of 34 games at home this season. But, that is typical for any AHA team, as it is really difficult to get OOC games on our home ice. Bentley does have an OOC game at home against Huntsville this fall, so 15 home games for the season, and two years ago, Clarkson visited for two, after we had been to Potsdam for two the year before.

Just a little over 10 days before the puck drops for opening night at the JAR!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...les-3-niagara/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...les-2-bentley/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...s-1-air-force/

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      A hearty thanks. Sometimes we get emotional about the team, but Bentley hockey couldn't exist if teams like Michigan weren't willing to play them. In a way it legitimizes the program. It harkens back to a different era. There's something romantic about hockey where it can have a team like Michigan with all its glitter and glitz and rich history play a plucky little school like Bentley. It's an awesome opportunity, and I'm only sorry I can't go out there to witness it.
      Yep, wish you could come out. At least you see it for what it is, where some people choose to hate on Michigan because they don't "travel for non-conference series."

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        In case anyone missed Dan's final three capsule summaries for the top three teams at the end of the upcoming AHA regular season, here they are. Of course, I would be delighted if Bentley can finish in the No. 2 slot for a bye, but as I noted in an earlier post, I think that any of the top six teams can win the regular season this year, just like last year, thanks in part to the imbalanced schedule.

Dan suggested in his Mercyhurt capsule that their coach must not like playing games in Erie as they only have 14 out of 34 games at home this season. But, that is typical for any AHA team, as it is really difficult to get OOC games on our home ice. Bentley does have an OOC game at home against Huntsville this fall, so 15 home games for the season, and two years ago, Clarkson visited for two, after we had been to Potsdam for two the year before.

Just a little over 10 days before the puck drops for opening night at the JAR!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...les-3-niagara/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...les-2-bentley/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...s-1-air-force/
        My comment was meant as a bit of dry humor; I never meant to imply Mercyhurst dislikes playing at home or that Rick Gotkin really doesn't like being at home.

In case you missed it, here's the USCHO preview for the AHA. Great job as always by Chris Lerch to go in-depth. Not as good as me though

http://www.uscho.com/2012/10/08/unpr...ase-air-force/
        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
          My comment was meant as a bit of dry humor; I never meant to imply Mercyhurst dislikes playing at home or that Rick Gotkin really doesn't like being at home.
          Oh, I know that your comment was tongue in cheek, Dan. But, it gave me the opportunity to point out that Bentley does as well as any Atlantic Hockey team in obtaining rare OOC games at home, in our case at the JAR, which receives more than its share of insults.

Comment

I'm feeling a mailbag coming up. Good responses so far, but I figured I'd open up to you guys too. Anyone have anything they want answered/asked?

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
              I'm feeling a mailbag coming up. Good responses so far, but I figured I'd open up to you guys too. Anyone have anything they want answered/asked?
              Hey, Dan, will you guys have a few extra media line sheets for us insiders who stop by your box at home games this season?

How do you think the lines and defense pairings will play out in Ann Arbor next Friday night?

Comment

Hey, Dan, will you guys have a few extra media line sheets for us insiders who stop by your box at home games this season?

How do you think the lines and defense pairings will play out in Ann Arbor next Friday night?
                There are almost always extra line sheets if you swing by up in the press box. They'll be on the ledge next to the opening. Shouldn't be a huge issue if you want to grab one or two for each team.

As for the pairings, it's funny you mention that because I just did the roster breakdown yesterday for the forwards (last night, actually) and just posted on the defense.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...file-forwards/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-file-defense/

Comment

The lines and stuff I'll further address both mailbag style and in the days leading up to the Michigan game. I'm taking a cue from sites like the ones on SB Nation and will do a Game-Day prep thing. Hopefully, I won't get lazy and do like 3 or 4 of them and then completely fall off the planet with it...

Comment

How bout them Tigers?!!! RIT comes from behind and beats Michigan in OT.
                    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

How bout them Tigers?!!! RIT comes from behind and beats Michigan in OT.
                      Maybe it's time to really start questioning the #6 seed projected by some here? This team is going to score more than an RIT team has in a while, and if Watson can stop 40 shots against Michigan on any given night..I'll take that action.
                      RIT

Comment

Not that we were going to sneak up on Michigan, but this doesn't bode well for any chances of catching the Wolverines off guard.
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Congrats to the TIGERS!

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Not that we were going to sneak up on Michigan, but this doesn't bode well for any chances of catching the Wolverines off guard.
                            I'm going to go ahead and say that over a longer body of work, Michigan is going to end up as the better team. But on one night, in an OOC, on the first game of the year, RIT came in hungrier and more prepared. I fault Michigan for losing but give all the credit to RIT for winning. Michigan really does have a habit of losing to weak conference teams (isn't that right, Appy State??) hehe.

RIT Winters - as for the prognostication, I obviously can't pontificate for the press, but one game does not make a season. It does, however, give you guys the most marquee victory on the year by far. It legitimizes the AHA somewhat, especially after Niagara got smoked by Colgate. Unfortunately, though, Michigan gets 24 hours of rest and a chance to come back on Saturday against y'all. I'm raising an eyebrow to see how Red Berenson gets the boys ready. If they lose again, their RPI rating later in the year is going to take a beating.
                            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and say that over a longer body of work, Michigan is going to end up as the better team. But on one night, in an OOC, on the first game of the year, RIT came in hungrier and more prepared. I fault Michigan for losing but give all the credit to RIT for winning. Michigan really does have a habit of losing to weak conference teams (isn't that right, Appy State??) hehe.
                              True on your first point, not so sure on your second. RIT gets credit for overcoming their own sloppy play in the first period. They forced the play and our defense and goaltending was subpar in the last 41 minutes of the game. The SOG alone were an indication of the pressure that Michigan exerted offensively. Credit RIT for stealing the momentum and winning the game, but I doubt that they were better prepared. Hungrier? Maybe. Emotion is a tough thing to recover once a team relaxes on a lead and suffers from the lapses Michigan did. I thought for sure after the 3rd RIT goal that Berenson would yank Rutledge.He was fighting easy shots all game and never looked comfortable. Losing is losing, no matter who it is to. In that regard, I would say that you are insulting your conference, when it fact you shouldn't be. The Appy St thing is a poor example. That was a lower Div team that was a NC and had D1 talent. They weren't Savannah state. Luckily that Michigan team also sent out LC out by beating Florida, who happened to win the NC the following year. So, poke fun all you want. It's early. I gave another example in the game thread that was more appropriate regarding Niagara in 1998.

RIT Winters - as for the prognostication, I obviously can't pontificate for the press, but one game does not make a season. It does, however, give you guys the most marquee victory on the year by far. It legitimizes the AHA somewhat, especially after Niagara got smoked by Colgate. Unfortunately, though, Michigan gets 24 hours of rest and a chance to come back on Saturday against y'all. I'm raising an eyebrow to see how Red Berenson gets the boys ready. If they lose again, their RPI rating later in the year is going to take a beating.
                              The game is actually Friday, and there will probably be lineup changes, although that is limited since 3 of the 5 players that were scratched last night for Michigan are injured. The other is a walk on goaltender that won't see the ice unless there are a rash of injuries to the netminders. That leaves a sophomore forward that may be inserted for a senior forward- both 4th line checking types- unless one or both the injured freshmen can play. I can almost say with confidence that there will be a different goaltender in tonight.

As far as RPI, that is a stretch also. The conference strength should more than offset our OOC schedule. It's never good to lose, especially the way they lost last night, but today is a new day.
                              Last edited by streaker; 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                True on your first point, not so sure on your second. RIT gets credit for overcoming their own sloppy play in the first period. They forced the play and our defense and goaltending was subpar in the last 41 minutes of the game. The SOG alone were an indication of the pressure that Michigan exerted offensively. Credit RIT for stealing the momentum and winning the game, but I doubt that they were better prepared. Hungrier? Maybe. Emotion is a tough thing to recover once a team relaxes on a lead and suffers from the lapses Michigan did. I thought for sure after the 3rd RIT goal that Berenson would yank Rutledge.He was fighting easy shots all game and never looked comfortable. Losing is losing, no matter who it is to. In that regard, I would say that you are insulting your conference, when it fact you shouldn't be. The Appy St thing is a poor example. That was a lower Div team that was a NC and had D1 talent. They weren't Savannah state. Luckily that Michigan team also sent out LC out by beating Florida, who happened to win the NC the following year. So, poke fun all you want. It's early. I gave another example in the game thread that was more appropriate regarding Niagara in 1998.

The game is actually Friday, and there will probably be lineup changes, although that is limited since 3 of the 5 players that were scratched last night for Michigan are injured. The other is a walk on goaltender that won't see the ice unless there are a rash of injuries to the netminders. That leaves a sophomore forward that may be inserted for a senior forward- both 4th line checking types- unless one or both the injured freshmen can play. I can almost say with confidence that there will be a different goaltender in tonight.

As far as RPI, that is a stretch also. The conference strength should more than offset our OOC schedule. It's never good to lose, especially the way they lost last night, but today is a new day.

Good stuff, Streaker. I was hoping that the Tigers would soften up the Wolverines, but not get them too mad before the Falcons travel to AA next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X