Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Brandon Komm listed as #9 on USCHO's "Top Ten Goalies to Watch". Not sure what that means, but there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    Looking forward to Bentley's return visit to Yost. Tough team to shake, good goaltender. Enjoy the trip out for any of you fans traveling. You'll notice changes at Yost if you were there last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      You need to do a better job than Niagara did last year.

Or, perhaps Niagara caused the Wolverines to think that they could sleep walk past Bentley the next weekend?
      No, it was more like how they thought that scoring 24 goals in 4 games (v. Niagara, Bentley and St. Lawrence) would translate to road success the following weekend at NMU.
      So, guess where they open this season's CCHA road schedule?
      Last edited by streaker; 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        That said, there's no reason why the defense can't gel as a unit for Michigan and come in and do some damage. Michigan is a winnable game because they've lost key parts and Hunwick's gone. It'll take a Herculean effort, but I think it's very possible.
        Every game is winnable, so I won't discount that, especially early in the season. I watched Mercyhurst come back from three goals down in the last 15 minutes to tie two seasons ago, and nearly won it in OT on Hunwick.That was the same season they lost in OT in the NC game. I doubt that Berenson and company purposely take any team lightly.

Michigan lost Hunwick to graduation, but is probably going with a freshman that played for the USNTDP last season. He's no stranger to Yost or to Division I hockey. He'll be fine.

The biggest loss is up front where the captain graduated and 2/3 of the top line moved on. The offense will be a work in process until some of the lines are settled and the freshmen take shape. Still, I would say between the 3-4 scoring forwards returning, and a couple of the can't miss kids coming in, they'll be okay.

The defense will be their assumed strong suit, only losing one key guy, but bringing in perhaps the best freshman defenseman in the league or maybe the country in Jacob Trouba. There will not be a lack of offense from the rearguard, as one (Moffie) led the team in assists, and Bennett and Merrill also push up frequently. The defensive depth goes eight deep and would have been nine deep if one of their incoming D recruits didn't jump to the OHL.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Every game is winnable, so I won't discount that, especially early in the season. I watched Mercyhurst come back from three goals down in the last 15 minutes to tie two seasons ago, and nearly won it in OT on Hunwick.That was the same season they lost in OT in the NC game. I doubt that Berenson and company purposely take any team lightly.

Michigan lost Hunwick to graduation, but is probably going with a freshman that played for the USNTDP last season. He's no stranger to Yost or to Division I hockey. He'll be fine.

The biggest loss is up front where the captain graduated and 2/3 of the top line moved on. The offense will be a work in process until some of the lines are settled and the freshmen take shape. Still, I would say between the 3-4 scoring forwards returning, and a couple of the can't miss kids coming in, they'll be okay.

The defense will be their assumed strong suit, only losing one key guy, but bringing in perhaps the best freshman defenseman in the league or maybe the country in Jacob Trouba. There will not be a lack of offense from the rearguard, as one (Moffie) led the team in assists, and Bennett and Merrill also push up frequently. The defensive depth goes eight deep and would have been nine deep if one of their incoming D recruits didn't jump to the OHL.
          Streaker - appreciate the input, and I can only hope that your name refers to winning and not what I'll do through Bentley's campus if they beat Michigan.

I heard a rumor that Michigan is providing Bentley's team with tickets to the Saturday football game as part of goodwill for going out to the hockey trip. I think that puts Bentley in the Big House for the Michigan St. game? it's still a very classy act of goodwill if true by the Michigan athletic department towards the visiting team.

I know that Bentley is taking a much different approach. From conversations with different people associated with the program, the team is a little bit more numb to the atmosphere of a place like Yost, which is a far cry from the JAR. But what they might've gotten bug-eyes at last year is boiling down to the fact that it's still frozen water (and a bunch of chemicals from the Zamboni) and it's no different from JAR ice except that it's probably a little bit smoother and a lotta bit cleaner.

It'll be very interesting, especially since Michigan is smack dab in the middle of some big games out this way. i'm kind of excited that Bentley isn't playing UMass-Lowell on the 13th so they'll be better rested for Michigan. I also anticipate that Komm will play at Michigan but not against Alabama-Huntsville. He was too overtaxed next year.

Then again I could be wrong.
          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I know that Bentley is taking a much different approach. From conversations with different people associated with the program, the team is a little bit more numb to the atmosphere of a place like Yost, which is a far cry from the JAR. But what they might've gotten bug-eyes at last year is boiling down to the fact that it's still frozen water (and a bunch of chemicals from the Zamboni) and it's no different from JAR ice except that it's probably a little bit smoother and a lotta bit cleaner.
            I really thought that our coaching staff had our guys totally relaxed last year at Yost. At least that is the way our players appeared to me as they got off the bus and walked by our 60-strong tail-gating greeting party outside Yost before the Friday night game.

Bentley's visit at Yost was definitely my favorite weekend of college hockey ever, which includes 10 Frozen Fours, four that included my alma mater UNH. Perhaps it is my long-time connection to U Michigan through their geology field camp in Wyoming and my tough decision to attend Maine instead of Michigan for my first graduate degree. I am really pleased that we got invited back to Yost for a game this season, and regret that I cannot attend this time around. Hope that the Falcons can hang tough for a full 60 minutes this year.

Thanks for the comments, Streaker. I do not know Humanoid, but if I hear of someone streaking across Bentley's campus around 10 pm on October 19th, I will know the reason!

Comment

The next two predictions for the AHA have RIT 6th and UConn 7th. Here's the preview for RIT, Bentley fans!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...apsules-6-rit/

Personally speaking, I think RIT is going to be vulnerable this year because they were vulnerable last year. But they're going to play a factor down the stretch.

If you're a Bentley fan, you can't help but want another crack at them at some point in postseason play (or maybe that's just me for journalism purposes).
              Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                The next two predictions for the AHA have RIT 6th and UConn 7th. Here's the preview for RIT, Bentley fans!

Personally speaking, I think RIT is going to be vulnerable this year because they were vulnerable last year. But they're going to play a factor down the stretch.

If you're a Bentley fan, you can't help but want another crack at them at some point in postseason play (or maybe that's just me for journalism purposes).
                Hey, Dan, who do you have in 9th and 8th; could not find on your blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Hey, Dan, who do you have in 9th and 8th; could not find on your blog.
                  8th place: RMU

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...robert-morris/

9th place: Canisius

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...es-9-canisius/

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post

I may be somewhat of a homer, but this seems fairly preposterous to me. We have our best freshman class in the last 3 years and although I loved Burt, his production the last two years has been pretty tame. Colevecchia/Garbowsky will more than make up for it. Watson might not be Madolora, but I'm willing to bet he ends up better than most AHA goalies.
                    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      I may be somewhat of a homer, but this seems fairly preposterous to me. We have our best freshman class in the last 3 years and although I loved Burt, his production the last two years has been pretty tame. Colevecchia/Garbowsky will more than make up for it. Watson might not be Madolora, but I'm willing to bet he ends up better than most AHA goalies.
                      Thanks, Dan and RIT Winters.

I really think that Bentley is going to get a first-round, post-season bye this year, so that means RIT will need to displace Air Force, Naigara, Mercyhurst, or perhaps Holy Cross, which I think is possible. I think that last season's parity in the top six teams will continue this year, thanks in part to the imbalanced eastern vs western pod regular season schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                        I think there's going to be major growing pains and I agree that, given the top of the conference and the logjam that's up there, that RIT will fall. If anything they'll be 2 points maybe away from a first round bye and end up in 6th place like what happened to us last year with Bentley. But at the same time, they'll go into the first round series and smoke someone like Sacred Heart, then go to the second round series as a dangerous opponent. I wouldn't be shocked if Bentley found themselves hosting RIT in the second round with a dose of how you guys felt when we went up there last year.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I think I'm beating Dan to it, but they posted the 4th and 5th place previews for Mercyhurst and Holy Cross. This puts Bentley in the top 3 according to his blog. Homer much?

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-5-holy-cross/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-4-mercyhurst/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I think I'm beating Dan to it, but they posted the 4th and 5th place previews for Mercyhurst and Holy Cross. This puts Bentley in the top 3 according to his blog. Homer much?

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-5-holy-cross/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-4-mercyhurst/
                            I think that any of the top six teams can place anywhere in the top six slots this coming season, just like last year.

And, speaking of 3rd, if RIT cannot take a point from the #3 ranked Wolverines weekend after next, Bentley will be playing our highest seeded opponent ever on the 19th.

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2012/10/03/ten-...s-for-2012-13/

Show me the Gensler!

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

You know.. we run preseason predictions and capsules, but the fact remains that any of these teams in the top 6 for the AHA could finish anywhere in that spot. The toughest thing to think through was the whole "Who can beat who on this night" thing. Unfortunately, too often it boils down to who played the night before, who needs a rest, who's running a hot streak. Looking at these teams on pure paper statistics might be the toughest thing we've done in a long time.

The fact remains that a loss in November against Robert Morris doesn't seem like a lot, but if you go back to last year and put back that 6-6 tie against Holy Cross when Bentley was winning, then had to come from behind on a Tuesday night? If they win that game, they're the 4 or the 5. Instead they were the 6. If they don't blow that game against Army last year at home and lose 3-1, AND they don't blow that Holy Cross game, there's three points and all of a sudden Bentley has the same amount of points as Air Force. And I'm not sure but since Bentley took 3 points from Air Force last year, that would've given them the top seed.

What's this mean? It means Bentley can win those games, and I personally think they do this year. The playoffs are another story though. That's a crapshoot.

And yes, this will probably be an article at some point for those of you who are wondering.

Comment

Working...
                                X