Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Also - from the Brown thread, I found the following posted by their faculty adviser, re: rules changes

"OVERTIME OPTION

After a thorough discussion, the committee recommended giving conferences and institutions the option of playing four-on-four, five-minute overtime periods in the regular season beginning with the 2012-13 season. That is the system used in the NHL.

The goalies would still be required to switch ends of the ice, which causes teams to make long line changes, leading to additional scoring opportunities.

The proposed rule is not a mandate. If teams playing in a nonconference game can’t agree on which way overtime will be played, it will default to a five-on-five, five-minute extra period where the goalies will switch ends of the ice.

The format for NCAA tournament games has not changed (five-on-five until a winner is decided).

“There was some support in the membership for four-on-four overtime, and it is an exciting brand of hockey,” McLaughlin said. “We also wanted to respect the membership views that it might not be the best for all levels of hockey right now. Providing an option for everyone is the right step for us.”

The committee will monitor the overtime formats for the next two years to see if any other changes should be made.

“When we made the change two years ago for the goalies to change ends going into overtime, it lessened the number of ties in the sport,” McLaughlin said. “We think making another option available will allow for more data to be collected and to review the impact on our game.”

HAND PASSES MADE ILLEGAL

Committee members proposed that all hand passes be made illegal, including in the defensive zone.

The referee will stop play on any hand pass, and the faceoff will be in the offending team’s defensive zone. Additionally, if the team commits the violation in its defensive zone, that team will not be able to change its players before the ensuing faceoff.

“This is a way to promote scoring and create more chances on offense,” McLaughlin said. “Not being able to make a line change can have a pretty big impact, and this takes away a rule that gave the defensive team an advantage.”

NET DISLODGEMENT CHANGE
    The committee also adjusted its rules dealing with the goal cage becoming dislodged. The committee essentially moved to the NHL rule in this area, which allows some displacement of the goal as long as the posts remain in contact with the pegs or pins.

“Our rules currently don’t allow for much leeway, and we believe we have disallowed too many goals that really should count,” McLaughlin said. “The NHL rules have been used effectively, and we believe this is a positive change.”

To award a goal in these situations, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions of a defending player. To award a goal, the referee must determine that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

DISTINCT KICKING MOTION

Another proposed change by the committee is intended to enhance scoring and also make its rules more consistent. The committee approved a change that will allow most goals off of attacking player’s skates, with the exception of a distinct kicking motion. In recent years, the committee has attempted a variety of interpretations in this area.

“We ultimately believe bringing some clarity to this rule is important and allowing goals that are directed into the goal with a skate will be a positive move,” McLaughlin said. “It seems like the hockey community is comfortable with the concept of a distinct kicking motion, so we hope this brings some clarity to this rule as well.”

OFFICIATING SYSTEM

Effective with the 2013-14 season, the committee voted to make the two-referee, two-linesman system mandatory for men’s ice hockey. Feedback from the women’s ice hockey community indicated that the two-referee, one-linesman system should remain as an option for the foreseeable future. All four NCAA championships used the two-referee, two-linesman system in 2012.

Additionally, goal judges are no longer required for NCAA games and will only be recommended.

“Our rules truly require two referees, and the committee strongly believes the four-person system is the best overall,” McLaughlin said. “We believe providing a grace period will allow institutions time to adjust and plan.”

The NCAA adjusted officiating fees in the 2012 Division III championships (men’s and women’s) to make the change immediately and reduced travel costs by not using a back-up official.

POSTGAME REVIEW OF DISQUALIFICATIONS

The committee voted to allow a postgame review of disqualification penalties by the on-ice officials. The group requested conference feedback on how best to implement a procedure and guidelines for the concept, but the belief is a disqualification penalty, with the help of video evidence, is an important determination and should be reviewed. The calling official will have the final decision on any review."

The full article can be found at: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...r+face+shields
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      So you're saying those were lean years...
      Yes, I would say that is an understatement. During those lean years, there was only one Canadian player, Matt Kowal from Ontario. Most of the players were from Massachusetts and neighboring states, as there was not any budget for recruiting and the head coach position was part time. That all changed for better after Ryan's first season as head coach in 2002-2003, the youngest in Div 1 at the time, when the team went 15-19 that last year in the MAAC.

Comment

If this kid doesn't sound like the next coming of Jamie Nudy, then I don't know who does. A 5'5" forward who loves playing defense and making big hits. Sounds like a prototype for the Bentley program.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-undermatched/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

If this kid doesn't sound like the next coming of Jamie Nudy, then I don't know who does. A 5'5" forward who loves playing defense and making big hits. Sounds like a prototype for the Bentley program.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-undermatched/

I like this blog; thanks for posting the links on a regular basis here, Humanoid. Always enjoyed watching Nudy and Stonacek go to work on the PK this past season.
          Last edited by Snively65; 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I like this blog; thanks for posting the links on a regular basis here, Humanoid. Always enjoyed watching Nudy and Stonacek go to work on the PK this past season.
            It's always my pleasure. I check back on the blog regularly since I met with the guy who runs it. He's the radio guy for the Falcons this year, and he has a huge passion for Bentley. I've told him about the message board and stuff, but I don't think he posts it, or he was playing coy about it.

Last year after the Tuesday night Holy Cross 6-6 game, I spent a solid 30 minutes talking with Dan after a game. He was talking to Coach Soderquist after the game, and on the way out, I just wanted to congratulate him on a game well called (I had been sitting in front of the press box where I could hear him, but then again, I think everyone could hear him. The guy is loud!). He told me how he was really happy to be a part of Bentley, and I thought it was really just a stock response. But there's a genuine passion now that I've been reading his stuff, and Bentley always has a way of popping up.

IMHO, we've gotten very lucky at Bentley to develop a close-knit type of family atmosphere. For something so small, it's really started to develop, and if the rumors of an on-campus rink are true, we'll look back on the last couple of years at the JAR as the starting point catalyst.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

It's always my pleasure. I check back on the blog regularly since I met with the guy who runs it. He's the radio guy for the Falcons this year, and he has a huge passion for Bentley. I've told him about the message board and stuff, but I don't think he posts it, or he was playing coy about it.

Last year after the Tuesday night Holy Cross 6-6 game, I spent a solid 30 minutes talking with Dan after a game. He was talking to Coach Soderquist after the game, and on the way out, I just wanted to congratulate him on a game well called (I had been sitting in front of the press box where I could hear him, but then again, I think everyone could hear him. The guy is loud!). He told me how he was really happy to be a part of Bentley, and I thought it was really just a stock response. But there's a genuine passion now that I've been reading his stuff, and Bentley always has a way of popping up.

IMHO, we've gotten very lucky at Bentley to develop a close-knit type of family atmosphere. For something so small, it's really started to develop, and if the rumors of an on-campus rink are true, we'll look back on the last couple of years at the JAR as the starting point catalyst.
              Just a casual observer of this thread, as a college hockey fan from the area...

Humanoid, I know you've been on the Brown thread too. To the end of a 5'5" plugger who does the little things well, you may remember David Brownschidle's senior year, when he really blossomed under Brendan Whittet. He was only about 5'9 or 5'10 but was a maestro at face-offs and penalty killing. Though he was a little bigger than 5'5, Chris Swon and Tye Korbl come to mind. Same types of players, with just enough offensive finesse to keep a D honest.

I too read the Excal blog from time to time and know him as a part-timer down at the Brown games from time to time. He is loud. I'm sure that you've seen him once or twice in your times down at the Meehan. Definitely take the time to introduce yourself - having met with the radio guy for you guys a couple of times as our paths have crossed here and there, there does seem to be a sense of budding excitement.

Comment

Less than three months to opener at Tsongas.

Comment

Less than three months to opener at Tsongas.
                  Any word from anyone on on-campus improvements or JAR renovations?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Any word from anyone on on-campus improvements or JAR renovations?
                    Naw, since Morone left and Carleton stepped aside, we do not hear diddly any more.

Comment

• Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Naw, since Morone left and Carleton stepped aside, we do not hear diddly any more.
                      Luckily, I've heard great things about Andrew Shepherdson up in Student Affairs. Coach Soderquist has said in numerous interviews that he's a big proponent of athletics and a big supporter of the hockey team. I can only imagine that would lead to some great things in the near future.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

So I did some reviewing of the new NCAA rules and how it might help or hurt Bentley. I posted them earlier, and I figured what the heck, it might generate some type of conversation on our board since we're in the dog days of summer.

Overtime:
                        The NCAA is going to give conferences and institutions the option of playing 4-on-4 for 5 minutes starting this year. The AHA hasn't adopted this, but it's the same system as used in the NHL. Goalies still need to switch ends of the ice, which causes long line changes and additional scoring opportunities. NCAA games will still be 5-on-5 for a 20-minute frame with the goalies switching ends, playing full periods until there's a winner. If teams can't agree on a system, then they'll revert to the old model of the 5-on-5 for 5 minutes and end in a tie (except for I think the WCHA which has Shootouts).

Bentley:
                        I think it really depends on the rink, but I like the prospect of 4-on-4. The last two years, Bentley's been built around really being able to fly. Taking an extra forward off or taking a defenseman off really will increase the team's chance at skating up ice. I like the prospect of having more ice to work with on the smaller rinks, and a line of Grieve-Switzer-Gensler-Weinstein could essentially run a team right off the rink. I'd love if the AHA went to this, but I'm also all for the shootout instead of a tie.

Hand Pass:
                        All hand passes are illegal, including in the defensive zone. Violation results in faceoff in offending team's zone. Offending team cannot change lines.

Bentley:
                        Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. The defensive hand pass was a required move for a team on a PK to get it out of their zone. It's how Bentley killed 5-on-3's, especially that 5-on-3 against Holy Cross that was a seminal moment of the season on the year's last weekend with the season hanging in the balance (and playoff seeding). If a line is gassed, that's sometimes a desperation move. For Bentley, who's a smaller team, they need the hand pass to just swat the puck out of the zone against larger, more physical teams. The only thing this rule can do is hurt Bentley, lengthen the game, interrupt the flow, and result in more faceoffs in someone's defensive end.

Offensive hand passes were already illegal, so that doesn't change much. Now if only we could get too many men on the ice legal since I'm pretty sure Bentley got penalized for that at least 72 times last year.

Net Dislodgement:
                        NCAA will move to the NHL rule in which the goal is allowed "some" displacement as long as the pegs remain in contact with the post

Bentley:
                        So what we're saying here is that the net can be disloged by some bonehead defender who's hung out to dry. And then it becomes a judgment call by the officials. Anytime the term "judgment call by the officials" is used in any hockey terminology, it's bad. The AHA refs are the dregs to begin with, guys who couldn't get into the ECAC, Hockey East, and probably were reffing mites the weekend before. I hate this one too. Can't wait for someone to whack the net, have it come off, and then have it not called.

Kicking:
                        Most goals coming off attacking players' skated are goals, with the exception of the distinct kicking motion. The committee is trying to put a clear-cut interpretation into what results in a puck being kicked in.

Bentley:
                        Don't hate it. But don't love it. Bentley throws a lot of pucks into the center from the corner. If they center and Gensler pulls up or Kubiak pulls up and deflects off his skate, it's a goal. I can see this working. But I don't love it because I can picture more guys trying to Pele the puck in than do it traditioanlly. Plus this made it from an interpretation rule with gray area to an interpretation rule with grayer area. I don't like any time we get the officials to do anything judgmental.

Postgame Review of Game DQ (Can I just call this the Bobby Preece Rule now?)
                        NCAA will allow a postgame review of all game DQs by on-ice officials. This will allow officials to rescind game DQs before anything gets kicked upstairs to the conferences. It used to be a game DQ was a game DQ, an automatic ejection, 1-game suspension, and it'd be reviewed by the league. This will allow the refs to overturn calls after a game before it ever gets there.

Bentley:
                        Bobby Preece, Ryan Kayfes, Mike Switzer, and Jamie Nudy all graduated already. I think we can objectively state that it's okay that this goes through. Otherwise they'd be more susceptible to game DQs since this rule will probably result in more of them called. It does make me miss Bobby and the fact that every hit he made made it sound like the glass would dislodge and turn on the light in the JAR office over in the farside corner near the Bentley bench..........which happened a handful of times this past year.

Is it October yet?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

So I did some reviewing of the new NCAA rules and how it might help or hurt Bentley. I posted them earlier, and I figured what the heck, it might generate some type of conversation on our board since we're in the dog days of summer.

Net Dislodgement:
                          NCAA will move to the NHL rule in which the goal is allowed "some" displacement as long as the pegs remain in contact with the post

Bentley:
                          So what we're saying here is that the net can be disloged by some bonehead defender who's hung out to dry. And then it becomes a judgment call by the officials. Anytime the term "judgment call by the officials" is used in any hockey terminology, it's bad. The AHA refs are the dregs to begin with, guys who couldn't get into the ECAC, Hockey East, and probably were reffing mites the weekend before. I hate this one too. Can't wait for someone to whack the net, have it come off, and then have it not called.
                          I think that Tony Quesada from Holy Cross was the best AHA goalie that I have ever seen at dislodging the net at strategic times, especially in this particular game:
                          http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2006/03/...ght-aha-title/

Comment

I think that Tony Quesada from Holy Cross was the best AHA goalie that I have ever seen at dislodging the net at strategic times, especially in this particular game:
                            http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2006/03/...ght-aha-title/
                            Ironically, that game resulted in a new NCAA rule regarding the RPI and PWR.

Had Bentley won that game, they'd immediately have become a TUC (Team Under Consideration). Since Holy Cross went either 3-0-1 or 4-0-0 that year against them, their PWR and RPI rating immediately would've skyrocketed because they'd have been so good against a team under consideration for the tournament. Bentley automatically would've placed into the Top 16 too, so that would've weighted HC's score even higher. The end result would've put both Holy Cross AND Bentley into the national touranment, with Bentley going to Grand Forks and Holy Cross staying east, I believe.

In the offseason, the NCAA adjusted its rules to say that conference champions weren't automatically placed under TUC and essentially relegated the MAAC-AHA to midmajor status because only one team is essentially guaranteed at this point with the weak links down the bottom of the league.

Still, that's always a funny tidbit that Holy Cross was essentially a lock for the tournament even if they'd lost.

Special assist to someone who's name I forget for explaining that on a different board. I want to say that's FlagDude from the RPI board or RedCloud. They're always good for giving me facts like that (so's Ralph Baer.....also from the RPI thread. Geez I used to hate those guys but they have all the useless trivia I need to keep good convos going!)

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

well if this doesn't get you up for the season, i don't know what does

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...shed-business/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

well if this doesn't get you up for the season, i don't know what does

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...shed-business/
                                Good interview with Brett Gensler, who is spending the summer in St. Louis.

I definitely will be at Tsongas and the JAR for the first two games, but still undecided about Yost on the 19th (cheapest airfare that I can find is around $350; ouch).

Comment

Working...
                                X