Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Good interview with Brett Gensler, who is spending the summer in St. Louis.

I definitely will be at Tsongas and the JAR for the first two games, but still undecided about Yost on the 19th (cheapest airfare that I can find is around $350; ouch).
    I, too, will almost assuredly be at the local games. I'm not going to Ann Arbor simply because I won't go out there for 1 game. I decided against it last year for 2, so it's too expensive for my blood for 1 game.

It'll be a grind to open up the season for the boys, especially with the SHU game on Tuesday before flying out to Michigan.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Interview with the new goalie for Bentley, Gabe Antoni.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...st-brick-wall/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        Interview with the new goalie for Bentley, Gabe Antoni.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...st-brick-wall/
        Argghhh; he is a Flyers fan.

Comment

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day of my 10% sale at HockeyPhotography.com - just use coupon code 2012. Bentley galleries can be found here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...0006gn8ZIaiDOE (If interested, but don't have time to choose right now, you can purchase a gift certificate and 10% will be added to its value. Get gift certificate by sending paypal payment to melissa@hockeyphotography.com - email me if you don't have a paypal account and need an invoice.)
          Last edited by mwade; 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
            Just a quick reminder that today is the last day of my 10% sale at HockeyPhotography.com - just use coupon code 2012. Bentley galleries can be found here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...0006gn8ZIaiDOE (If interested, but don't have time to choose right now, you can purchase a gift certificate and 10% will be added to its value. Get gift certificate by sending paypal payment to melissa@hockeyphotography.com - email me if you don't have a paypal account and need an invoice.)
            Nice photo gallery! Hope that some parents at seniors' night bought a bunch.

Comment

The Human Penalty Bobby Preece is Poland bound to play for HC Katowice

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                The Human Penalty Bobby Preece is Poland bound to play for HC Katowice
                Great opportunity for Bobby; here is link. He scored 6 goals, 11 assists, was +23 (second on team and sixth in the league), and only racked up only 79 penalty minutes in 66 games for the Quad City Mallards last season. So, no question that he has tightened up the discipline in his game since leaving Bentley. My best wishes to him in Poland this coming season.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/...ce-signs-prof/

Comment

Great opportunity for Bobby; here is link. He scored 6 goals, 11 assists, was +23 (second on team and sixth in the league), and only racked up only 79 penalty minutes in 66 games for the Quad City Mallards last season. So, no question that he has tightened up the discipline in his game since leaving Bentley. My best wishes to him in Poland this coming season.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/...ce-signs-prof/
                  I don't know a terrible amount about playing overseas, but I have to believe this is higher than AA puck in the states. He joins Dustin Cloutier as the only Falcons playing some type of high-level (so to speak) pro hockey. Cloutier's in Kalamazoo with the K-Wings.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Here are Kyle Rank's numbers with the Knoxville Ice Bears (SPHL) last spring:

17 GP, 1017 MIN, 43 GA, 2 SO, 2.54 GA, 9 W, 4 L, 4 T, 534 Sv, 0.925 Sv%

Those look like pretty good numbers; wonder if he will be invited back for 2012-13 or catch on somewhere else in the pro leagues?

Comment

As an RIT fan - I think Bentley does have a decent chance of cracking the top 4 at least in AHA, especially if they play everyone like they played RIT. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the beasts of the Eastern scheduling pod.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        As an RIT fan - I think Bentley does have a decent chance of cracking the top 4 at least in AHA, especially if they play everyone like they played RIT. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the beasts of the Eastern scheduling pod.
                        I think when it comes to the east, there is a lot that's going to be ripe for the picking. UConn is almost assuredly going to be down without Schneider on the ice, let alone any impact the Hockey East announcement will have on how teams play them. Unless something big happens, AIC and Army are going to be bad hockey teams, even though Army always plays Bentley hard, especially at the JAR. AIC should improve, but they lost Arcibal and Penny, and their goaltending situation is second to only SHU in terms of awful. Sacred Heart is young, so they should be a little bit better individually, but they lost Gingera, and their defense is atrocious.

That really only leaves Holy Cross. Holy Cross returned everybody important, as far as I know, and those games with Bentley are going to be wars. If Bentley's defense holds up its end of the bargain, the winners of those games are easily the class of the east.

I personally can't wait for a return match with RIT this year since it was obvious to me that the Tigers are on the downswing right now and the Falcons on the upswing. No to take anything away from RIT and what they've accomplished, but they lost some key cogs that will be tough to replace.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

To quote El Tiante, the western AHA teams are our daddy. We were 3-5-4 against them last season; we need to win more than 3 out of those 12 games this coming season to move up, as we cannot expect to do better than our 10-2-3 against the eastern pod teams last season. We won all but the Holy Cross series (0-1-2) against the eastern pod teams last year. I agree with Humanoid that Holy Cross will be tough again this coming season; we really need to convert one or two of those two ties from last year to wins this season.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            As an RIT fan, I respectfully disagree. The Top 4 will most likely be entirely Western Pod teams, with the possible exception of Holy Cross.

With how close everything was last year, one game in anybodies favor would have dramatically changed things, but when it comes down to it the Eastern teams in contention are only in contention because they play each other so much. Bentley is a great example of this, given some of the stats previously posted. And last years East vs West was sandbagged somewhat by how godawful Sacred Heart was..

Bentley has, compared to many of their Eastern Pod contemporaries, given RIT a run for its money many times, but our record against you guys is still 5-1-1 over the last two seasons.

I did stop by here and give much respect last year after the quarterfinals, as that was a great series and I will remember Game 2 for a very long time. And I respect what your program has done vs resources put in by the school. The whole conference can only benefit from a stronger Eastern pod!
                            RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                              As an RIT fan, I respectfully disagree. The Top 4 will most likely be entirely Western Pod teams, with the possible exception of Holy Cross.

With how close everything was last year, one game in anybodies favor would have dramatically changed things, but when it comes down to it the Eastern teams in contention are only in contention because they play each other so much. Bentley is a great example of this, given some of the stats previously posted. And last years East vs West was sandbagged somewhat by how godawful Sacred Heart was..

Bentley has, compared to many of their Eastern Pod contemporaries, given RIT a run for its money many times, but our record against you guys is still 5-1-1 over the last two seasons.

I did stop by here and give much respect last year after the quarterfinals, as that was a great series and I will remember Game 2 for a very long time. And I respect what your program has done vs resources put in by the school. The whole conference can only benefit from a stronger Eastern pod!
                              I pretty much agree with this assessment. Wish that I could have been in Rochester for the quarters last March.

I think that our defense may be a bit shaky early on this coming season, having lost three senior D-men who played about every game the past four years. But, once the new incoming D-men get integrated into the system, I think that Bentley will make some noise later in the season. The Falcons should have more scoring depth up front than they have had in years, and they should remain strong between the pipes.

As far as the AHA schedule imbalance, we are essentially looking at a three game difference, with Bentley playing four extra games against weaker teams and RIT one (Canisius). I agree that those three games can be huge, as we saw last season.

Comment

I pretty much agree with this assessment. Wish that I could have been in Rochester for the quarters last March.

I think that our defense may be a bit shaky early on this coming season, having lost three senior D-men who played about every game the past four years. But, once the new incoming D-men get integrated into the system, I think that Bentley will make some noise later in the season. The Falcons should have more scoring depth up front than they have had in years, and they should remain strong between the pipes.
                                I've gone on at length about this before and continue to do so. That's one of the things about college hockey, you just never know what you're going to get. For non-scholarship teams such as ours the disparity between years can be harsh as we cannot directly pay to win like scholarship schools can. So it's possible Bentley has a strong D class coming in that will be everything last years was and more, or it's possible your defense is completely awful and you guys regress from the progress made last year. You really have no way of knowing until the puck drops on the new year.

RIT is in a very similar situation. Last year we lost the biggest pieces to our offense (Brenner/Favot) and that noticeably hurt us all year and we finished 3rd. We continued to lose this off-season with Burt graduating. So perhaps this year we rebound positively as some of our sophomores have monster years, or perhaps we struggle more. And I'm sure the entire AHA is happy to see that Shane Madolora has moved on, and it remains to be seen if the next two guys on the depth chart can carry us like he can.

As far as the AHA schedule imbalance, we are essentially looking at a three game difference, with Bentley playing four extra games against weaker teams and RIT one (Canisius). I agree that those three games can be huge, as we saw last season.
                                Canisius is still a Western pod team and, although mired in mediocrity most years, they are a team who can generally beat anybody on any given night, they just struggle to string them together. I believe that they are actually very, very similar to Bentley in that if you two switched pods, I think you would see their records flip too. Assuming Sacred Heart gets its act together, there is no team in the West that is as weak as the bottom 2 of the East (Army, AIC).

I can only speak from an RIT fan perspective here, but Bentley's final ranking + postseason performance last year really struck me as a breakout year for the program, so to me there is a lot of expectation hanging around Bentley to see if they just had one good year or if it was the start of a rise for the program.
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X