Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Why did we not have a perfect APR score, like my alma mater, UNH?
    I'd love to see the APR for my D3 school, also known as the place that openly told you on the first day of orientation that 25% of you would be out in four years, 25% of you wouldn't be out at all, and the other 50% fell somewhere in there.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

    STAY UP #94 #58

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

      Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      I'd love to see the APR for my D3 school, also known as the place that openly told you on the first day of orientation that 25% of you would be out in four years, 25% of you wouldn't be out at all, and the other 50% fell somewhere in there.
      Ha, ha, ha. At UNH (I will not say what year), at frosh orientation we were told to look left and right, and that one of the three of us would not get through first year, and another would not finish in four years (I claimed that spot). I would never get accepted today given the rigorous standards (see the UNH recruiting thread).

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

        The Excalibur blog has an article with soe analysis by Coach Soderquist on the upcoming season. Schedule officially released by Bentley

        http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-2013-falcons/
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

        STAY UP #94 #58

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

          Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
          Not that I'm bitter but I hope UConn gets smashed for leaving the AHA. The Huskies don't realize that they're about to go from a middle-of-the-road Atlantic team to getting battered by BC, BU, MC, and co. I'm not impressed by this move, and I'm really despondent that they would make a move motivated by money.

          Then again, UConn is the same school that begged out of the Big East for the ACC, only to be blocked by BC. The politics are becoming too big.

          It's going to be fun when they come to town this year.
          I think Boston College faced the same blowback when they ditched the Big East for the ACC. The thought was that they'd get decimated in football and basketball. And if that weren't bad enough, they'd probably have the highest travel costs in the Conference.

          But while BC hasn't set the ACC afire, neither have they failed miserably. On balance, the Eagles have done reasonably well. UConn might eventually be OK in Hockey East, but NO Hockey East team wants to say their record was worse than UConn's, so they will be dead meat in practically every game they play.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

            Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
            The Excalibur blog has an article with soe analysis by Coach Soderquist on the upcoming season. Schedule officially released by Bentley

            http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-2013-falcons/
            Lest we forget, our Falcons were within a goal in both Michigan games with less 5 and just over 2 minutes to go, respectively, at Yost last October. Although Michigan did not lose much to graduation in Wohlberg and Glendening at forward and Hunwick in net, I think that we will score more than 1 goal when we return to Yost this October. Gotta find some cheap airline tickets for this game.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

              Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Lest we forget, our Falcons were within a goal in both Michigan games with less 5 and just over 2 minutes to go, respectively, at Yost last October. Although Michigan did not lose much to graduation in Wohlberg and Glendening at forward and Hunwick in net, I think that we will score more than 1 goal when we return to Yost this October. Gotta find some cheap airline tickets for this game.
              I think the attitude has changed. Last year was about "just happy to be here" playing on their rink. i'm not saying Bentley can win that game, BUT I think the attitude is that the team gave Michigan a tough go for two games last year, played them hard, and has a chance this year as well.
              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

              STAY UP #94 #58

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                There's a Mt. Rushmore thread going down, where the people ask who would be the Mt. Rushmore of the program.

                We obviously don't have a rich storied history quite like the other schools, namely that school in Chestnut Hill that's won, you know, jack squat the last 10 years or anything... buuuuut our history isn't too bad. Here's what I posted:


                Jim McAdam (former all-time winningest coach who oversaw the transition into D1)
                Ryan Soderquist (McAdams' best player, the player who brought the team into D1, and is now the current and all-time winningest coach)
                Brett Gensler (Walter Brown Award winner in 2012 and the most dynamic scorer Bentley's ever had)
                Dain Prewitt/Jeff Gumaer (two guys who could score from anywhere in a rink. I think Prewitt was a Water Brown semifinalist in '09)

                Honorable mention:
                Branden Komm (when his career is done, he could be the greatest goalie Bentley's ever had)
                Bobby Preece (the quintissential Falcon, and Captain Penalty... total fan favorite)
                Anthony Canzoneri (the undisputed emotional leader of the last team that went to Rochester, and Soderquist repeatedly is heard speaking about how much he loved having Canzo on his roster)
                Simon St. Pierre (as of right now, he's the best goalie Bentley's ever had over a 4-year consistent span)
                Garrett Trull (one of the best players of the D2 era)

                I was thinking of Rank, but he ended up playing himself out of the starting role the last year, then left the program. And I also thought of Calvi, but he was never truly great, and he benefitted from havig good players in front of him.

                It's unquestionable that the players on the Bentley team now might end up being the best they've ever had.
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

                STAY UP #94 #58

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                  Steve Tobio, last player to win conference POTY.
                  Bentley University Hockey
                  On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                    Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                    Steve Tobio, last player to win conference POTY.
                    You beat me to it, schiegs. Steve Tobio was over 50% of the Falcons offense his junior and senior years, or so it seemed. And, Tobio did not take the numerous ridiculous penalties away from the puck that Preece did. For Bentley's first team in the D1 era, not sure who I would put Preece in the other D slot, but will go with Humanoid's choices of Prewitt, Canozoneri, and Gensler up front, with Gumaer right behind them. Also agree that if Komm stays healthy the next two seasons, he will surpass St. Pierre in net.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                      Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      You beat me to it, schiegs. Steve Tobio was over 50% of the Falcons offense his junior and senior years, or so it seemed. And, Tobio did not take the numerous ridiculous penalties away from the puck that Preece did. For Bentley's first team in the D1 era, not sure who I would put Preece in the other D slot, but will go with Humanoid's choices of Prewitt, Canozoneri, and Gensler up front, with Gumaer right behind them. Also agree that if Komm stays healthy the next two seasons, he will surpass St. Pierre in net.
                      I don't remember Tobio, but I also wasn't in with the Bentley program until about 5 years ago (the semifinal year with Prewitt and Gumaer).

                      Soderquist has to be in the discussion as a player if we're counting the D2 era, and his last year when Bentley was D1 warrants mentioning. But over a four year span he was nothing in comparison to that 2008-2009 class of seniors.

                      Other guys just to consider for honorable mention - Menzione? (His junior year was his best playing on the 2nd line behind Prewitt-Canzo-Gumaer)
                      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

                      STAY UP #94 #58

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                        Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        I don't remember Tobio, but I also wasn't in with the Bentley program until about 5 years ago (the semifinal year with Prewitt and Gumaer).

                        Soderquist has to be in the discussion as a player if we're counting the D2 era, and his last year when Bentley was D1 warrants mentioning. But over a four year span he was nothing in comparison to that 2008-2009 class of seniors.

                        Other guys just to consider for honorable mention - Menzione? (His junior year was his best playing on the 2nd line behind Prewitt-Canzo-Gumaer)
                        Yes, Steve Tobio was a sophomore when Ryan was a senior, I believe. Those first few years at D1 were really hard.

                        If Pedey (Eric Pederson) and Menze had been healthy their entire senior year, their first line would have been awesome.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM. Reason: changed Tobio from freshman to sophomore (in1999-2000 season)

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                          Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                          IOther guys just to consider for honorable mention - Menzione?
                          I have his jersey. :-D
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                            Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            I have his jersey. :-D
                            A friend has Marcus Willy's jersey. Marcus was a freshman (9+15=24) when Steve Tobio was a sophomore (7+22=29), and Ryan Soderquist (19+30=49), Brian Gangemi (14+22=36), and Mike Spengler (12+9=21) were seniors on the #1 line our first season in D1. But, even with those 106 pts from the first line, the 1999-2000 team was 7-23-2. But, that was better than the next two years when the Falcons went 4-23-2 and 4-26-2; those were the two years that came off the books to allow us to jump up to #50 in the recent 10-ranking by Priceless in his cool thread.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                              Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              A friend has Marcus Willy's jersey. Marcus was a freshman (9+15=24) when Steve Tobio was a sophomore (7+22=29), and Ryan Soderquist (19+30=49), Brian Gangemi (14+22=36), and Mike Spengler (12+9=21) were seniors on the #1 line our first season in D1. But, even with those 106 pts from the first line, the 1999-2000 team was 7-23-2. But, that was better than the next two years when the Falcons went 4-23-2 and 4-26-2; those were the two years that came off the books to allow us to jump up to #50 in the recent 10-ranking by Priceless in his cool thread.
                              So you're saying those were lean years...
                              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

                              STAY UP #94 #58

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

                                Bentley placing some more good numbers in terms of All-Academics.

                                Hats off to both Bobby Mo and AIC! Great job in the classroom!!!

                                http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-all-academic/
                                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

                                STAY UP #94 #58

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X