X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheGreenCoat
    replied
    Re: Colgate offseason speculations

Fair point GR and with an enrollment of less than 3000 (essentially less than one-half of the average Ivy and similar to DIII schools that do not have other DI programs) I understand some of the problems. We're also somewhat victimed by some of the silliness of Title IX (overall it's been good legislation, but...) where we have more varsity sports for women than for the men. If a school's enrollment is 55% female and 45% male and the number of varsity teams by gender will be allocated similarly...I think some of us have issues with a pure quota system...

Leave a comment:

• 'Gate Radio
    replied

Every school is different. I know from the last five years of covering the league, some teams have larger rosters, some have smaller rosters. All depends on the school. Though do keep in mind for the teams with larger rosters, the majority of the extra kids are likely paying their own way through school and some may not even play. And Colgate's not cheap even with financial aid.

I'd have to guess that every coach at Colgate wouldn't mind having a slightly larger roster. That's the only way it will happen, all teams will have to have roster restrictions eased - there is no way just one team or one sport (hockey) will be allowed an exception.

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied

It was announced at the awards banquet Saturday night and I have seen it on the Ducks website ! So bummed !

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenCoat
    replied

as always, much appreciated GR and let's hope one of the 2013 commitments decides to live in idyllic Hamilton a year early...Shabby, I went from the "house cynic" to a foolishly hopeful fan...in light of his work product this year and GR's comments Chris' move is very understandable...I wish him all the success in the world...the bottom line for Colgate is that the rule summarized by GR HAS to be changed for hockey...correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear other ECAC have their hands tied in this way...

Leave a comment:

• 'Gate Radio
    replied

Timed out while typing this post, glad I copied it before hitting send.

While no announcement has been made, it is just about official that Chris Wagner has signed with the Ducks. The contract is listed on CapGeek.com and begins next season. Three-year contract, $900,000/year (2.7 million total); two-way contract so he'll also have a set salary if he's in the AHL. It is my understanding that this is the max-type of contract that could have been offered by the team under the current collective bargaining agreement. So, basically Chris had an outstanding season and the Ducks agreed and offered him the moon (in terms of a rookie salary/signing bonus). It has to be really hard to pass up that type of money and an opportunity to play in the NHL especially when there's no guarantee that it would be there in the future (either due to a change in heart by the Ducks, possible injury or to a modification to the current CBA - which there will be soon given that the current CBA runs out at the end of the year).

The roster is what it is. The restrictions of terms of players coming/going in the same numbers have been there for some time and that's the same for just about every sport at Colgate across the board; it's not something unique to the hockey program. For example, last season the softball team had 14 or so players and you put nine on the field at once; assuming you have two other pitchers, this leaves you with three back-ups. Unfortunately, this is not a rule at Colgate that's going to change unless the school itself decides to change it. Keep in mind, this past year the roster was unique in that the senior class had nine players though the group started as a seven-man class. Colgate benefited from having a pair of fifth-year seniors in Austin Mayer and Kevin McNamara whose spots vanish as the incoming class, which we speculate has seven players as per Heisenberg, will replace the seven regular seniors.

When the recruiting process was going on for next season, the coaches were looking for seven players for seven holes opening up on the roster - both with scholarship and non-scholarship slots. Last time a Colgate player left school to play professionally was Rajamaki over 10 years ago - not like this is an every day occurrence which could be planned for in advance. According to Heisenberg, there are several players that have been listed as 2013 commits for Colgate, one has to wonder if one of them will likely head to school a year early to fill the spot opened up by Wagner's departure. Because, keep in mind, we don't officially know who's coming in next year.

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied

He's gone.....don't you believe us ???

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenCoat
    replied

I see 'GateRadio is on the thread...say it ain't so GR...

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenCoat
    replied

If true, where does that leave us for next year...as I have said many times in the past we've always played it close to the vest on our incoming classes...if 6 graduate, no more than 6 come in...this "on the edge" practice as long as players do not leave the program and we do not incur significant injuries during a season...well, chickens are coming home...does this leave us with only 12 forwards for next year? I hope not...if Wagner has left Colgate has lost (arguably) 2 of the best 10 forwards in college hockey...we've lost quality and quantity and it looks like (and I really, really hope I am wrong) we've been caught with our pants down...NOT GOOD...

Leave a comment:

• CU13
    replied

A very, very sad day for Colgate hockey. I wish Chris nothing but the best. Ugh!

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied

A very sad day, I'm so bummed !

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Say it ain't so, please !!
    http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1152505

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied

Say it ain't so, please !!

Leave a comment:

• Rainman
    replied

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    On another note, it's been posted on the 'Gate voy forum that Chris Wagner has signed with the Anaheim Ducks. What does this mean for next season? Is he gone, or will he be back? (this being mearly a "signing" and that's all?). Sure hope we aren't losing our key guy for next season.
    This may very well be true. But it could have also been an April Fool's Day joke. However, I received a private message on Facebook today from my reliable source indicating that he did sign with the Ducks. If this is in fact true, it creates a logistical nightmare because with both him and Jack McNamara leaving, we will only have 12 forwards on the roster. What happens if someone gets injured or banged-up???

Ironically, there are no press releases from the Colgate Athletics site, the ECAC Hockey site, or the official web site of the Anaheim Ducks. But if this is in fact true, well ... good luck to Chris. That's all I have to say.

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    On another note, it's been posted on the 'Gate voy forum that Chris Wagner has signed with the Anaheim Ducks. What does this mean for next season? Is he gone, or will he be back? (this being mearly a "signing" and that's all?). Sure hope we aren't losing our key guy for next season.
    I saw something about this come across Twitter this morning, but the person tweeting didn't know if it was true or an April Fool's joke. Bottom line is that if he signed, he's gone.

Leave a comment:

• CU13
    replied

Kudos to Austin on all of the accolades.....well deserved!! From what I know and have heard about Austin, he had a great time at Colgate (except for the weather). Kevin McNamara will be playing hockey in Norway next year. His brother Jack decided Colgate wasn't the right fit and decided to transfer (to where, I don't know). The Captains for next year are Thomas Larkin, Nathan Sinz and Jeremy Price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X