2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

To put it bluntly, this program is a mess right now. Three players (I think that's the number) have bolted this season, and there are rumors of more leaving as well. An alumni meeting is rumored to be happening as well tomorrow. It's not looking good for the future.

I guess the question is, should we fire Dave Shyiak? He hasn't had a winning season since he's started here, and the team has spent lots of time in the basement of the WCHA? Coaching changes obviously worked for Tech, so we'll have to see what happens.
    Go 'Wolves!

Re: 2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

Originally posted by seawolffan View Post
    To put it bluntly, this program is a mess right now. Three players (I think that's the number) have bolted this season, and there are rumors of more leaving as well. An alumni meeting is rumored to be happening as well tomorrow. It's not looking good for the future.

I guess the question is, should we fire Dave Shyiak? He hasn't had a winning season since he's started here, and the team has spent lots of time in the basement of the WCHA? Coaching changes obviously worked for Tech, so we'll have to see what happens.
    My vote is no, but i may change my mind after next season or if more guys do leave.
    Last edited by seawolfpunk; 03-27-2012, 12:27 AM.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

The performance and/or winning percentage of every coach UAA has ever had has been close enough to equivalent to give us a clue that there is an institutional problem with the program. Firstly, they (they = the university) obviously aren't spending enough money. Plain and simple. I have no solution for that.

Secondly, the athletic department doesn't have enough standing in that it is under the schools dept of administration (or whatever the heck it's called). This means that the athletic director cannot push his departments agenda directly. The UAA AD should report directly to the President. I'm sure that threatens some people with titles like "vice-chancellor" but with the athletic budget buried in the administration department I don't think it's really possible for it to get the necessary focus.

As to the two most mentioned culprits (Shyiak and Cobb) .... neither one is in an organization that is designed for success. Why blame them? I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        The performance and/or winning percentage of every coach UAA has ever had has been close enough to equivalent to give us a clue that there is an institutional problem with the program. Firstly, they (they = the university) obviously aren't spending enough money. Plain and simple. I have no solution for that.

Secondly, the athletic department doesn't have enough standing in that it is under the schools dept of administration (or whatever the heck it's called). This means that the athletic director cannot push his departments agenda directly. The UAA AD should report directly to the President. I'm sure that threatens some people with titles like "vice-chancellor" but with the athletic budget buried in the administration department I don't think it's really possible for it to get the necessary focus.

As to the two most mentioned culprits (Shyiak and Cobb) .... neither one is in an organization that is designed for success. Why blame them? I don't.
        The only real solution is a complete split from the UA system with at least 40% of endowment and budget to go with. Then some general housecleaning around the upper management of UAA.

To put things in perspective, UAA got sued for Title IX violation and all Cobb could do is throw up his hands. Yet, the Board of Regents still wouldn't approve funding for the Athletic Building. And we think they're gonna build a hockey arena?

This program is set to fail every year. If the alumni and boosters wanna do something, then work towards what I put in that first paragraph. Anything else will do nothing.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Well, now rumor has it that Kwas has bolted the team. Just lovely...

Edit - Nevermind about that rumor. Still, all these rumors are worrying.
          Last edited by seawolffan; 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM.
          Go 'Wolves!

Comment

Can UAA terminate Shyiak without buying out his contract? Seems to me he ought to have a chance to succeed in the new league, but if the team is falling apart now it might be time for a change.

“We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

As much as I enjoy raging on Anchorage, I still want them to be a winner. Just one win less than my beloved Nooks. Please UAA, pull your **** together!
              Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                Can UAA terminate Shyiak without buying out his contract? Seems to me he ought to have a chance to succeed in the new league, but if the team is falling apart now it might be time for a change.
                Unless Shyiak is caught committing a Cardinal Sin I'm pretty we can't terminate him without paying.

Now I have no idea why people want him out, other than some people who have never liked him. I wouldn't classify the team as falling apart. Certainly not in the likes of the Talafous era. Plus his record is as good or better than Hill or Talafous. I think it's just people being frustrated and silly.

As for Cobb, it seems to me people are upset because he doesn't spend every last dime on the hockey team and cares about the other programs too. And it shows. If any AD needs a boot it should be Karr, Good Lord has UAF has gone terrible.

But like I said, the UA system sets up UAA to fail in everything, not just athletics. If we really want to accomplish something, then start working with politicians to either a) Put UAA and UAF in equal standing and force the Board of Regents to accept it, or b ) Establish a new University system with UAA at the head and fund it equal to the UA.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I guess the question is, should we fire Dave Shyiak?
                  no.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Dave Shyiak is a great coach. There are other problems within the school that need to be addressed first before the firing of another head coach.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

As for Cobb, it seems to me people are upset because he doesn't spend every last dime on the hockey team and cares about the other programs too. And it shows. If any AD needs a boot it should be Karr, Good Lord has UAF has gone terrible.
                      Karr is a great administrator , just look at the UA_ Basketball programs men 5W-23L women 6W-22L or volleyball 2W-24L The Top of the World Basketball Tournament fell in to the outhouse hole during his watch. I hope he gets a contract extension for life.

But like I said, the UA system sets up UAA to fail in everything, not just athletics. If we really want to accomplish something, then start working with politicians to either a) Put UAA and UAF in equal standing and force the Board of Regents to accept it, or b ) Establish a new University system with UAA at the head and fund it equal to the UA.
                      I blast my legislators every time I see one about parity of the 2 schools about equal treatment and financial support. The Regents who hold the UA purse strings think the only 2 things that keep _airbanks going is more money for UA_ and the free dump in the village.
                      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM.
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                        The Top of the World Basketball Tournament fell in to the outhouse hole during his watch.
                        The TOWC had zero chance of survival after the NCAA changed the rules regarding preseason basketball tournaments. You can't put that on Forrest. The GAS was/is on life support for the same reason and I wouldn't blame Cobb for that either.

I won't deny our basketball has been a total dumpster fire lately but Durham and Burgess are starting to pick up the pieces and re-build the right way. Clem Johnson should have been sent packing about the time we hired Dallas. I give UAA all the credit in the world for building a powerhouse at the D2 level.

But I digress...sorry for talking about basketball in your offseason hockey thread.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          The TOWC had zero chance of survival after the NCAA changed the rules regarding preseason basketball tournaments. You can't put that on Forrest. The GAS was/is on life support for the same reason and I wouldn't blame Cobb for that either.

I won't deny our basketball has been a total dumpster fire lately but Durham and Burgess are starting to pick up the pieces and re-build the right way. Clem Johnson should have been sent packing about the time we hired Dallas. I give UAA all the credit in the world for building a powerhouse at the D2 level.

But I digress...sorry for talking about basketball in your offseason hockey thread.
                          The minute the list of exempted DI tournaments expanded was the minute the TOWC was dead and the GAS was in trouble. Nobody here in Alaska is to blame for that.

It is interesting to see the complete mess the UAF athletic department is outside of hockey. Heck Karr's "Alaska" decision may be the worst, as that is what spurred the anger, hostility, and political involvement at UAA going on now.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The minute the list of exempted DI tournaments expanded was the minute the TOWC was dead and the GAS was in trouble. Nobody here in Alaska is to blame for that.

It is interesting to see the complete mess the UAF athletic department is outside of hockey. Heck Karr's "Alaska" decision may be the worst, as that is what spurred the anger, hostility, and political involvement at UAA going on now.
                            I have taken classes at both schools and graduated from Fairbanks, it is the flagship university in Alaska period, from an academic standpoint not close. Athletics, well except for hockey, UAA is better because it recruit the better athletes in Anchorage.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                              I have taken classes at both schools and graduated from Fairbanks, it is the flagship university in Alaska period, from an academic standpoint not close. Athletics, well except for hockey, UAA is better because it recruit the better athletes in Anchorage.
                              And you know why that is? Funding.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                              X