Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

I have no complaints with the officiating at either game in Worcester on Saturday. Thought the refs in each game did a very good job.

The guy behind us on the other hand... he complained all night about icing, the net thing, any call made against UMD. Of course, he was a UNH fan, so the rules of the game are whatever he makes up in his head.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
      The ref would be pretty bad if he reviewed the video and thought the net was still on its moorings. Surely, you agree with that.
      This really did make me lol.

Comment

I have less of a problem with the offsides (because I didn't see it and we weren't exactly doing great) than I did with the blatant miss of a too many men call. Guy jumps on the ice and plays the puck IMMEDIATELY... isn't that like automatic?!?!
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          so, a player has to get a concusion and be knocked out for a hit to the head to count in your world.
          The comment of having gloves and a helmet is weird. Concussions can occur without a blow to the head if it snaps hard enough. The head doesn't need to be smashed into the glass to cause an injury that can be devastating (medical person in me coming out). Concussions can be life altering beyond what being able to play. I love hockey but I can't blatantly disregard the fact that the players are people and what happens to them is not just about whether someone calls a penalty. They make those rules for a reason (even if they don't call it like it is written.) Maybe I don't have enough testosterone to ignore it?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          I have less of a problem with the offsides (because I didn't see it and we weren't exactly doing great) than I did with the blatant miss of a too many men call. Guy jumps on the ice and plays the puck IMMEDIATELY... isn't that like automatic?!?!
          This. The bench was half empty.

The inconsistancy is what is driving me crazy. The hit that leaves a guy on the ice with the trainer having to leave the bench is a 2 and the hit that the guy skates out of is a 5.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            I have no complaints with the officiating at either game in Worcester on Saturday. Thought the refs in each game did a very good job.

The guy behind us on the other hand... he complained all night about icing, the net thing, any call made against UMD. Of course, he was a UNH fan, so the rules of the game are whatever he makes up in his head.
            Providence College
            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

On the offside, the linesman signaled offside.
              Providence College
              National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Then yanked his arm down

Comment

He took his arm down when the player cleared the zone--I think it was after the puck entered the zone but before it went into net
                  Does that make it a good goal?

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                    They are up to my expectations, but mine are pretty low.
                    Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                    Expectations?? Yes

I set the bar extremely low....
                    Pretty much the same for me. Not only some ugly missed calls, but the calls that have been made (across the board in every game I've watched so far) have been SO tight with tons of ticky-tack calls all over the place.

But, this DOES meet my expectations, because this is what I figured would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      You can dump the puck into the attack zone even when you have a player offside. Play continues. I believe the Union skater had re-established himself onside before the puck crossed over the goal line, which is what I think is necessary for the goal to count.

As far as the goal in the UMD/Maine game where the net was displaced, they got that one right too. The note to Rule 6, section 10, subsection C
                      covers this. Maine was in control of the puck when the net came off after the UMD guy ran into it. Play specifically is allowed to continue until the scoring chance is complete. It doesn't matter at all where the play starts. It only matters who is in control of the puck. Maine never lost control of the puck and their scoring opportunity was allowed to continue.

The act of dumping the puck in with a player off sides nullifies a goal. And the play is to be whistled for an intentional offsides and a face off in the offending teams end zone no closer to the goal then the side of the ice the puck was shot from
                      dash 8
                      what does North Dakota's gov't have that Minnesota won't have? A budget Surplus

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        You guys are probably right on the Maine-UMD net-off-the-moorings goal, I just would like to know what the rule is because I've seen it called both ways over the years. Just seems like there is some judgment on the part of the officials involved to a degree.
                        There is no judgement on this, the goal should have been overturned and Duluth given a delay of game penalty. The rulebook only opens up for determination if the shot has already been taken or in the act of shooting.
                        Used RCA television $60
                        Monthly Cable bill $40
                        Watching Schutte Cry in the Penalty Box after he got cocky with the crowd earlier.
                        P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Comment

I thought the West Regional as called was too loose the first game, but way to tight the second game. The BU - MN game was odd, Rau had to be tackled before before BU got a penalty, but both teams got called for run of the mill hooks at random times.
                          Used RCA television $60
                          Monthly Cable bill $40
                          Watching Schutte Cry in the Penalty Box after he got cocky with the crowd earlier.
                          P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Comment

Full disclosure: I have no rooting interest in any of the teams that have been fortunate enough to play in the regionals.

Without rehashing the controversial plays that have already been rehashed numerous times, let me simply agree with an earlier poster and grade the officiating as a D+ -- at best, for the following reasons.

--Far too many "ticky-tacky" calls for an NCAA regional series. The most egregious examples that I saw were the performances of the ECAC crew that worked the BU-Minny game and the Hockey East crew that worked the Cornell-Ferris game. The interference call made on a Cornell player that led to the first Ferris goal was totally bogus. The Cornell player simply used his speed to gain inside position on the Ferris player, which is what you're supposed to do.

--The outrageous action by the WCHA crew that allowed the Union open-net goal to stand, even though an attacking player was at least ten feet offside. So far as the possibility of the play being legal because of the delayed offside rule goes, I watched the replays carefully and IIRC, there is no doubt that the offside player had not "touched-up" at the blue line when the puck entered the net. But that's irrelevant since linesmen are supposed to kill the play immediately if the puck is shot on goal to eliminate any possibility of a disputed goal. This was an egregious blown call by this crew that denied the trailing team a fair chance to tie the game. And the blame doesn't stop with the front linesman/AR. His line/AR partner is supposed to be backing him up and there are also the two referees who can overrule any line call. In total, a colossal epic collective fail by this WCHA crew.

--The CCHA also doesn't get a free pass: The Mark Wilkins call on AF in the last minute of play should go to the ticky-tack Hall of Shame. A marginal call at best with the game on the line and the trailing team unfairly denied a chance to tie in an extra skater situation. Just an appalling lack of discretion IMO.

One thing to remember before we walk anyone to the gallows, though, is that somewhere up the line there are administrators and supervisors who influence how games are called. If the officials think the higher-ups want then to call tight games, then that's what will happen.

Be that as it may, the problem with college officlating, from my vantage point, is that it tends to be more of an Old Boy Network as opposed to a meritocracy. This is especially true in the east. The result is that the guys you see in post-season play are the senior lodge brothers and not necessarily the best and brightest that the various leagues have to offer. There are lots of really sharp young officials being produced by the USA Hockey Officiating Development Program but the D1 college leagues either marginalize them or ignore them completely. Unfortunately, I don't see this changing anytime soon.
                            Last edited by Split-N; 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
                              There is no judgement on this, the goal should have been overturned and Duluth given a delay of game penalty. The rulebook only opens up for determination if the shot has already been taken or in the act of shooting.
                              you could not be more wrong. Read the rule book. Page HR 63, Rule 6, section 10, subsection c, note. It clearly states:

If the non-offending team has an offensive opportunity and its defensive
                              goal cage has been displaced, play shall be allowed to continue until the
                              scoring chance is complete.

The reason for the note is to clarify the particular situation. This is exactly what happened in the game and it was called correctly. When the cage came off, Maine was in clear possession of the puck (scoring opportunity by definition) and that possession continued right to the back of the UMD net.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
                                How many times do they hand out penalties for knocking the net off? 9 times out of 10, it just happens and never gets called.

Comment

Working...
                                X