Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    Yes, but that really didn't matter given Maine scored on the play. Without the whistle being blown there was no reason to stop skating
    A net being totally off its moorings, with the play going on a few feet in front of it, isn't a good enough reason? I can see if the play was down at the other end, they'd let it go, but it's happening right in front of them, in the Maine zone. And again, most of the Maine players also gave up on the play. When the puck got out to center ice, it was like, oh the whistle didn't blow, let me skate in on a breakout and score, and that's what happened.

Does anyone have a rulebook handy?!?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
      The officiating was simply atrocious this weekend (and it's not even over yet). In addition to some of the calls BU didn't get, three calls (so far) have stuck out:

-Union's empty net goal against UML was scored with one of their players off-side by nearly 10 feet. Reviewed and it stands.

-On Friday, Michigan St. scores what appears to be a goal but because a Union player bumps up against his net (but doesn't dislodge it!) the goal is waived off. Reviewed and it stands.

To think they have replay and it's not a help to them makes it even worse.
      I deleted the UMD one, because with all honesty it was the fault of the Bulldogs for giving up on the play (even though it should *arguably* have been whistled dead). Everything else, dead on. The whole replay with the MSU goal I was thinking "ok, so it's in, but with a HIGH STICK". I was especially amazed when the announcer on ESPN said "the crossbar is 6 feet high, so it shouldn't be a high stick because he's only 5'10". Uh, are you serious!? Apparently I was 6'4 when I was a goalie in squirts, because I remember the cross bar being to my neck when I was that age...

Whatever, nag nag b**** b**** like a wife I suppose. I love hockey, just hate it when a call controls the outcome of an entire season.

Hate to say, but they try to over-enforce penalties much to the compliance of a recent tragedy. Roy and Jablonski are tragedies, but they live to tell their stories today. Sarah Burke, an olympic freeskier, DIED skiing halfpipe. I've yet to hear any plans to change the sport of free-skiing and halfpipe.

Any hockey player who grew up playing knows there is a very miniscule chance of becoming paralyzed by an awkward hit into the boards, or a concussion from a bad hit. I remember stop signs on the back of our jerseys since we were of age to hit. Now that there was another paralysis, they try to prevent the inevitable yet again by overly-enthusistic calls. Their intentions are right, but how many games must be ruined to avenge a few rare bad hits which are inevitable with the growth of the sport (unless checking is eliminated entirely)?

Sorry if I offend anybody, just saying...there's only so much you can do. As any ski pass will say, it is a dangerous sport and any liability is forfeited in the participation of that sport. Maybe I should ski more, or maybe I'll be an old man talking to my grandchildren some day about back in the day where we would actually play the body to gain posession of the puck..
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

A net being totally off its moorings, with the play going on a few feet in front of it, isn't a good enough reason? I can see if the play was down at the other end, they'd let it go, but it's happening right in front of them, in the Maine zone. And again, most of the Maine players also gave up on the play. When the puck got out to center ice, it was like, oh the whistle didn't blow, let me skate in on a breakout and score, and that's what happened.

Does anyone have a rulebook handy?!?
        http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-41...blication.aspx

I haven't found anything that indicates that there are special conditions when you do/don't blow the whistle once the net has become dislodged.

Comment

You guys are probably right on the Maine-UMD net-off-the-moorings goal, I just would like to know what the rule is because I've seen it called both ways over the years. Just seems like there is some judgment on the part of the officials involved to a degree.

Comment

They are up to my expectations, but mine are pretty low.

Comment

Scratch what I said about there not being anything.

c. A player, including the goalkeeper, shall not delay the game by
              deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position. The referee
              shall stop play when a goal post has been displaced.
              Note: If the non-offending team has an offensive opportunity and its defensive
              goal cage has been displaced, play shall be allowed to continue until the
              scoring chance is complete.

Comment

Leaping into the air looks a lot more vicious than it really is. If the player receiving the hit has their skates firmly planted onto the ice, they are even more capable of delivering a devastating hit to the hitter. And if you take an additional stride or have your skates firmly planted into the ice when delivering a hit, it's a two minute charging penalty. Yet, if you leave your skates and are more susceptible to taking a hit, you get a five minute major? I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic behind that one.
                Hockey players have a helmet and gloves, don't even try to argue that their hit to the head delivers more impact than what a boxer endures through nine rounds... If a players head gets stapled to the glass, then yes, that's an issue. But seriously...Go gophers (sometimes), but I was not in favor of that call at all. Double major at worst, but a five minute major is such an extreme penalty for such a situation.
                Last edited by UMD21; 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM.
                I wanna go fast!

Comment

I was shocked by how bad the officiating was at the Michigan-Cornell game, and I expected bad. At one point late in the second I just leaned to my wife and said, "I don't even know what's going on anymore." And I really didn't. The whole crowd turned on them simultaneously at points.

I get it, reffing is a really hard job. But this is ridiculous.
                  Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    Scratch what I said about there not being anything.

c. A player, including the goalkeeper, shall not delay the game by
                    deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position. The referee
                    shall stop play when a goal post has been displaced.
                    Note: If the non-offending team has an offensive opportunity and its defensive
                    goal cage has been displaced, play shall be allowed to continue until the
                    scoring chance is complete.
                    That "offensive opportunity" is probably a bit of a grey area seeing as they held the puck in their own zone. I've seen them allow teams to keep playing with possession at center ice or certainly in the other end of the ice, but it was in their own end. I know for sure I've seen plays whistled down in the past like that. Either way, it didn't play a factor in the outcome as it turned out

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                      Haha, no. They have been atrocious. It's pretty disgusting.
                      What about the off-sides on Union when they scored their empty net goal. The linesmann was in position and yet, no whistle???? 3-2 is a lot easier to over come than 4-2.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                        Leaping into the air looks a lot more vicious than it really is. If the player receiving the hit has their skates firmly planted onto the ice, they are even more capable of delivering a devastating hit to the hitter. And if you take an additional stride or have your skates firmly planted into the ice when delivering a hit, it's a two minute charging penalty. Yet, if you leave your skates and are more susceptible to taking a hit, you get a five minute major? I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic behind that one.
                        Hockey players have a helmet and gloves, don't even try to argue that their hit to the head delivers more impact than what a boxer endures through nine rounds... If a players head gets stapled to the glass, then yes, that's an issue. But seriously...Go gophers (sometimes), but I was not in favor of that call at all. Double major at worst, but a five minute major is such an extreme penalty for such a situation.

so, a player has to get a concusion and be knocked out for a hit to the head to count in your world.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          so, a player has to get a concusion and be knocked out for a hit to the head to count in your world.
                          Unless it is an extremely egregious "targeted" hit to the head, like an attempt to injure, it should be a 2 minute for elbowing. That call in the UM-BU game was ridiculous. I mean isn't that what an elbowing penalty is - contact to the head.

Comment

i'm going to give the Officiating D+ so far in NCAAs.

Comment

The officiating was simply atrocious this weekend (and it's not even over yet). In addition to some of the calls BU didn't get, three calls (so far) have stuck out:

-Union's empty net goal against UML was scored with one of their players off-side by nearly 10 feet. Reviewed and it stands.
                              -
                              You can dump the puck into the attack zone even when you have a player offside. Play continues. I believe the Union skater had re-established himself onside before the puck crossed over the goal line, which is what I think is necessary for the goal to count.

As far as the goal in the UMD/Maine game where the net was displaced, they got that one right too. The note to Rule 6, section 10, subsection C covers this. Maine was in control of the puck when the net came off after the UMD guy ran into it. Play specifically is allowed to continue until the scoring chance is complete. It doesn't matter at all where the play starts. It only matters who is in control of the puck. Maine never lost control of the puck and their scoring opportunity was allowed to continue.

Comment

My expectations, like most or us I'm sure, are fairly low. I can either get what I expect or be pleasantly surprised.

My biggest gripe, and it is becoming all too rampant in all sports, is the endless need to check the video replay. For the most part, these are calls that 4 experienced refs should be able to confirm in seconds with a few sentences of discussion. By the letter of the rules they got the reviewed goals correct in all occasions, but only the MSU goal against Union really needed a video review to determine that the net was not flat against the ice -- and the rule is that strict -- and that could likely be missed in live action.

But needing endless discussion about every goal, reviews on goals in just about every game, and having to spend too much time explaining every call to both coaches, all of that crap has got to go. Just like I never said to myself "boy I sure do wish we had a shootout instead of a tied game" I do not recall saying to myself "if we just had video replay and 10 board meetings a game among the four zebras we'd get only correct calls." A generation of officials brought up with the notion of video replay has only given us worse officials. These guys are going to screw up calls. We don't need momentum killing delays to go along with the screw ups.

Comment

Working...
                                X