Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

UMD hasn't even played yet, so I speak with what I would think is complete neutrality.
    We saw officiating end AF's chances of an exciting comeback with a few minutes left in the third (perhaps the referee was gassed and couldn't handle a possible OT?). Then I tuned into the UM-BU game in which I'll say I was/am hoping for a Gopher win, but after seeing the calls BU has received, I can't but help hope for a comeback for the sake of the Terriers.

It's one thing to try to call a tough game in the regular season with likely four games played between the teams over the season. But at the end of the season, with one penalty being the difference between the end of the season or a national championship? Seriously, pocket the whistle!

Maybe I didn't see right, but a 5 minute major for a very weak "hit to the head"--these referees need their power kept in check. Disgusting.
    I wanna go fast!

Re: Officiating up to your expectations in NCAA tournament?

Haha, no.

They have been atrocious. It's pretty disgusting.
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Expectations?? Yes

I set the bar extremely low....

Comment

The # of 5 minute majors is surprising to me. I'm honestly not paying enough attention outside of my team's game to know whether they're all warranted.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
          UMD hasn't even played yet, so I speak with what I would think is complete neutrality.
          We saw officiating end AF's chances of an exciting comeback with a few minutes left in the third (perhaps the referee was gassed and couldn't handle a possible OT?). Then I tuned into the UM-BU game in which I'll say I was/am hoping for a Gopher win, but after seeing the calls BU has received, I can't but help hope for a comeback for the sake of the Terriers.

It's one thing to try to call a tough game in the regular season with likely four games played between the teams over the season. But at the end of the season, with one penalty being the difference between the end of the season or a national championship? Seriously, pocket the whistle!

Maybe I didn't see right, but a 5 minute major for a very weak "hit to the head"--these referees need their power kept in check. Disgusting.

So, leaving your skates, and hitting a player in the head is ok?
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Yes indeed it is the ccha ref Dim-Wit wilkins that made the call on AF. Every year one of them sad sacks make a stupid call, last year i think it was a 5 minute major game on yale's O'neal.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post

As a quasi neutral observer I have to agree. Atrocious. Also the announcers are so pro UM it is sickening. UM so great and every player is such a hero blah blah blah blah.......JC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                As a quasi neutral observer I have to agree. Atrocious. Also the announcers are so pro UM it is sickening. UM so great and every player is such a hero blah blah blah blah.......JC!!!
                Also the Michigan Cornell game had suspect calls all over the place but not quite as biased as the UM/BU game. At least in that game they were bad for both teams and not so one sided.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                  Expectations?? Yes

I set the bar extremely low....
                  Exactly. When you expect the worst, everything else is a nice surprise.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The officiating was simply atrocious this weekend (and it's not even over yet). In addition to some of the calls BU didn't get, three calls (so far) have stuck out:

-Union's empty net goal against UML was scored with one of their players off-side by nearly 10 feet. Reviewed and it stands.
                    -Maine scores a goal vs. Duluth with the net at the far end completely off its moorings and almost every player from both teams standing around as the Black Bears move it up the ice. Reviewed and it stands.
                    -On Friday, Michigan St. scores what appears to be a goal but because a Union player bumps up against his net (but doesn't dislodge it!) the goal is waived off. Reviewed and it stands.

To think they have replay and it's not a help to them makes it even worse.

Comment

Maine's second goal they made the correct call. Caleb Herbert for UMD took the Maine net all by himself. Maine had and kept possession throughout that play. The Bulldogs players shouldn't have stopped skating.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        Maine's second goal they made the correct call. Caleb Herbert for UMD took the Maine net all by himself. Maine had and kept possession throughout that play. The Bulldogs players shouldn't have stopped skating.
                        Half of the Maine team also stopped skating. If you see the replay most of them are also standing around.

I don't have a rulebook around so you may be right that it's the right call, but I find it ridiculous they disallow a goal in the Union-Michigan St. game where the net wasn't even dislodged, and yet here's a net fully dislodged to the point where 90% of the players stopped skating, and the goal is counted.

Either way, something doesn't check out fully there, and they have the benefit of replay at their disposal, making it inexcusable.
                        Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          The ref would be pretty bad if he reviewed the video and thought the net was still on its moorings. Surely, you agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                            but not quite as biased as the UM/BU game.
                            Please. BU had plenty of opportunities with the man advantage, and many of those were of the iffy variety. Both squads had plenty of reason to ***** about how the game was called (so many ticky-tack calls that there was little to no flow whatsoever).

Comment

Yes, but that really didn't matter given Maine scored on the play. Without the whistle being blown there was no reason to stop skating. UMD players assumed the play was dead despite there not being a whistle. The refs have made some pretty major mistakes so far but that play was not one of them.
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                              X