Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

I can't say whether we're playing Northeastern outside of that tweet from last week. But, according to Boston College sources, we ARE playing them at the Conte Forum this year. I'm assuming that'll be on November 9th, but no date was given.

Check out the bostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.ca

Post marked May 22nd, 2012:

"On the scheduling front, BC's non-conference opponents have been announced as the Eagles will take on Dartmouth, Yale and NOTRE DAME (emphasis mine) @ Conte Forum and will travel out to St. Paul Minnesota for the Mariucci Classic (hosted by the University of Minnesota) over Christmas break."
    Last edited by NotreDameFan27; 05-28-2012, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I have a question: why would we have to play Lake Superior State in Sault Saine Marie again this year when we played them there last year?

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
        I have a question: why would we have to play Lake Superior State in Sault Saine Marie again this year when we played them there last year?
        Actually, the Lakers do play AT Notre Dame this coming year.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

The games don't always follow a "here this year--there next year" kind of format. We were at Miami in 09-10, they were in our cluster the following season, so last year you would have thought they would have come here to "even" it out, but we went to Oxford again. My assumption that we were going to the UP was a guess given that the Miami games should have (finally) been home games. LSSULaker889294 corrected that assumption about the LSSU series, meaning that ND will have to travel to Miami for the 3rd season in a row. Remember that when I posted the speculated schedule, the dates/opponents in italics were educated guesses. While I know that LSSU and OSU are on the weekends I guessed at, the location was up in the air. Technically everything in italics is up in the air until a minimum of 2 more CCHA teams and BC or NU release their schedules.
          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            Here's some speculation about the upcoming schedule (educated guesses are in italics):

10/12-13 IB tourney (ND, Army, Maine, UNO)
            10/18-19 UMD (note: this is a Th-F series due to FB)
            10/26-27 @ NMU
            11/2-3 WMU (could be home-home given there is a FB game this weekend)
            11/9-10 @ BC or NU (I have heard that both are going to happen, although the source for NU is more reliable. Both cannot happen given the limit of games allowed)
            11/16-17 Michigan (both have home football games, so if this is the opponent, they could play Th-F or F-Su)
            11/23-24 NoDak
            11/30-12/1 @ LSSU (this is likely a definite since LSSU is the only available league opponent this weekend for ND to play and the open weekends are very few and far between now)
            12/7-8 MSU
            12/14-15 @ BG
            1/5 @ Minnesota
            1/11-12 @ MSU
            1/18-19 UA(F)
            1/25-26 FSU
            2/1-2 @ OSU (again, like the LSSU weekend, Ohio State is the only league opponent available this weekend and the season is nearly over now, so they have to fit in here)
            2/8-9 WMU (could be home-home--but the opponent could also be Michigan)
            2/15-2/17 Miami (the Sunday game is the Soldier Field game, so am guessing the other game will be Friday, although they could schedule a single game during the week--God I hope not...)
            2/22-23 Michigan (the opponent could also be Western Michigan)
            3/1-2 BG

The earliest they can take the ice for an official practice is October 6th, so if they play an exhibition game against a Canadian college, it could be Sunday, October 7th or during the week before they leave for Kansas City. ND is in a cluster with BG, Michigan, MSU and WMU. They can play 36 games since they are in the Ice Breaker.

20 weeks.
            November 2/3 in South Bend, February 22/23 in Kalamazoo.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

So given that we're playing Western on February 8th and 9th, that leaves MICHIGAN for the weekends of November 16th and 17th and February 23rd and 24th.

Comment

So given that we're playing Western on February 8th and 9th, that leaves MICHIGAN for the weekends of November 16th and 17th and February 23rd and 24th.
                WMU is (as Bronconick now points out) here the first weekend of November (however, I believe that will be tweaked as there is a home FB game) and in KZoo February 22-23. That means the league schedule is now complete. The only remaining question mark is the OOC opponent the weekend of November 9/10.

10/12-13 IB tourney
                10/18-19 UMD
                10/26-27 @ NMU
                11/9-10 @ BC or NU (both cannot happen given the limit of games allowed)
                11/16-17 Michigan (both have home football games, so they could play Th-F or F-Su)
                11/23-24 NoDak
                11/30-12/1 LSSU
                12/7-8 MSU
                12/14-15 @ BG
                1/5 @ Minnesota
                1/11-12 @ MSU
                1/18-19 UA(F)
                1/25-26 FSU
                2/1-2 @ OSU
                2/8-9 Michigan
                2/15-2/17 Miami
                2/22-23 @ WMU (if the first series with them is home and home, this will be the mirror image)
                3/1-2 BG

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

WMU is (as Bronconick now points out) here the first weekend of November (however, I believe that will be tweaked as there is a home FB game) and in KZoo February 22-23. That means the league schedule is now complete. The only remaining question mark is the OOC opponent the weekend of November 9/10.

10/12-13 IB tourney
                  10/18-19 UMD
                  10/26-27 @ NMU
                  11/9-10 @ BC or NU (both cannot happen given the limit of games allowed)
                  11/16-17 Michigan (both have home football games, so they could play Th-F or F-Su)
                  11/23-24 NoDak
                  11/30-12/1 LSSU
                  12/7-8 MSU
                  12/14-15 @ BG
                  1/5 @ Minnesota
                  1/11-12 @ MSU
                  1/18-19 UA(F)
                  1/25-26 FSU
                  2/1-2 @ OSU
                  2/8-9 Michigan
                  2/15-2/17 Miami
                  2/22-23 @ WMU (if the first series with them is home and home, this will be the mirror image)
                  3/1-2 BG
                  You know what I just thought of, the weekend we play Michigan in November (16-17) is the beginning of reading week at Notre Dame. The week prior will typically be filled with school assignments and exams, so might they play some weird Sunday (18th) and Monday (19th) series against Michigan since there will be no class work to consider? Then play North Dakota on Friday (23rd) and Saturday (24th). This way it won't conflict with the football game that weekend.

This would also allow the University to sell tickets to both the Michigan series and the North Dakota series in some sort of package deal, since most of the students will likely be gone.

Comment

You know what I just thought of, the weekend we play Michigan in November (16-17) is the beginning of reading week at Notre Dame. The week prior will typically be filled with school assignments and exams, so might they play some weird Sunday (18th) and Monday (19th) series against Michigan since there will be no class work to consider? Then play North Dakota on Friday (23rd) and Saturday (24th). This way it won't conflict with the football game that weekend.

This would also allow the University to sell tickets to both the Michigan series and the North Dakota series in some sort of package deal, since most of the students will likely be gone.
                    The Michigan series will have to be strange because of both having home FB games. I suspect it will be akin to the WMU series last November: 2 mid-week games over the course of 2 weeks. Something like 11/13 and 11/20. That would allow for easy home and home, which would then mean the 2nd series with them would also be home and home.

Comment

When will Notre Dame or Michigan officially announce their schedules?

Comment

When will Notre Dame or Michigan officially announce their schedules?
                        ND will likely announce theirs in June.

Comment

The Michigan series will have to be strange because of both having home FB games. I suspect it will be akin to the WMU series last November: 2 mid-week games over the course of 2 weeks. Something like 11/13 and 11/20. That would allow for easy home and home, which would then mean the 2nd series with them would also be home and home.
                          Michigan is already playing Bowling Green on Wednesday, November 21, because of a non-conference game that Michigan has scheduled for Thanksgiving Weekend. I would guess that a Michigan at Notre Dame game on Tuesday would therefore be off the table. All things considered, I'm thinking that Thursday-Friday at Notre Dame is the most likely schedule (although a home & home is possible too). Of course, they could end up doing something completely bizarre like play on January 2 or something.

Michigan, strangely, isn't reluctant to have home hockey games on the same day as a home football game; it happens once a year or so. What about ND--do they ever play at home in both sports on the same day?

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                            Michigan, strangely, isn't reluctant to have home hockey games on the same day as a home football game; it happens once a year or so. What about ND--do they ever play at home in both sports on the same day?
                            Michigan still plays a lot of home football games at Noon. Notre Dame never starts them before 3:30 p.m. and they are never over until well after 7:00 p.m. (well, the game clock is still ticking, a lot of them have been lost much earlier than that). Getting 80,000 people out of the way for a few thousand hockey fans by even 8:00 or 9:00 would be difficult. Notre Dame used to play both hockey and football on the same Saturday years ago when our FB games started at Noon or 1:00 p.m. and there were 20,000 fewer people to remove from campus.

Comment

T.J. Tynan made INCH's top 10 players list for the upcoming season.

Comment

Little more tweaking. The only question marks (and, really, we all know the info by now) are BC and Michigan. We all know the 2 series with Michigan are the weekend of November 16th and the weekend of February 8th. That first weekend and who is home which weekend are the question marks related to Michigan, but the first series will likely mimic the WMU weekend and be a F-Su series. We all know we are OOC the weekend of November 9th and NU is no longer available, so it has to be BC.

10/12-13 IB tourney
                                10/18-19 UMD (Th-F due to football)
                                10/26-27 @ NMU
                                11/2-4 WMU (F-Sun due to football)
                                11/9 @ BC
                                11/16-17 @ Michigan (both have home football games, so they could play Th-F or F-Su)
                                11/23-24 NoDak
                                11/30-12/1 LSSU
                                12/7-8 MSU
                                12/14-15 @ BG
                                1/5 @ Minnesota
                                1/11-12 @ MSU
                                1/18-19 UA(F)
                                1/25-26 FSU
                                2/1-2 @ OSU
                                2/8-9 Michigan
                                2/15-2/17 @ Miami
                                2/22-23 @ WMU
                                3/1-2 BG

17 weeks.
                                Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM. Reason: Schedule options are now clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X