College Hockey's Playoff Problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey's Playoff Problem.

I have not read through the whole thread yet, so someone might have already said some of what I am going to say. But here is my two cents:

I have no problem with the conference finals the way they are, at least for the two conferences I follow (ECAC and HEA) except for the fact that the ECAC is a sellout and has its finals in Atlantic City which is only like sort of close to one school. Every college sport has conference championships and the definitely need to exist.

Having the number one seeded team host the regionals I also feel is not a good idea, here are my reasons why:
    1) schools have other sports some of which play in the same arena as hockey (ie basketball) or other things held in their hockey arenas and it would be rather difficult and annoying to plan everything around the chance that maybe your team would be a number one seed. This would be especially annoying for schools that play in bigger arenas that might be used for public events like concerts or shows.
    2)Some schools have very small arenas if they were a number one seed the arenas would probably be too small to fit everyone that would be willing to go, and would be difficult for what ever TV network was covering the games to put enough cameras in to have a good telecast. I would rather have it in a big venue that might be only half full but everyone who wants to go can go then have it in a small venue that is completely full but there are lots of people who wanted to go that can't
    3)You have to think of accommodations for people who have to travel and stay in hotels. If a school in the middle of nowhere gets a number seed and there are not many hotels around that might be a problem.

The last thing I want to say is that you have to remember that despite the sometimes popular belief the players on the team are actually in college and DO actually take classes! So you can't really have a bunch of 3 or 5 game series for the whole tournament it would take to long. Trust me I would love it if the NCAA finals was like the pros but that is just not possible. It is a professional players job to play hockey. An NCAA players job is to go to school. Many of them will make it to the pros but many more will not and have to get a degree so they can get a job.

With all that said I think that maybe there are problems with how the tournament is held, but you must also realize that there are going to be problems with it no matter how you run it, and I think how they do it now is best for the student-athletes that are actually playing. There are probably better ways to do it for the fans, but that should not be what is considered most important.
    Lets go RED!!
    And BC!

Sucks to BU Clarkson

Houston Field House, Conte Forum, Agganis Arena, Thompson Arena, Alfond Arena, Lawler Arena, Whittemore Center, Schneider Arena, Appleton Arena, Tsongas Center, Ingalls Rink, Times Union Center, TD Garden, Scottrade Center, Fenway Park, Herb Brooks Arena, Verizon Wireless Arena, DCU Center, Richard H. Rockett Ice Arena, Matthews Arena

Strike out ALS

Comment

Working...
    X