Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    Are Sunday's regional finals on anything except ESPNU?
    Both Regional finals are on ESPNU.
    Go Gophers Go.

Comment

They are also on ESPN3.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I'm SHOCKED. SHOCKED I tell you.
        I think Bill was the only one actually surprised by that revelation

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
          And next year on this thread, it will be investigated as to whether there are any "territorial restrictions" earlier in the week
          Obviously the only "restrictions" involve FSN affiliates. I'd plan on blackouts again if the only regional network televising it is FSN North again.

Comment

I poked around the FSN NORTH Facebook page, very interesting stuff. I wasn't shocked at things posted here yesterday, just don't always jump into the conspiracy theory as the first option. It has been a pleasure chatting with you guys here and hope this thread helped at least some people out in finding the game they wanted.

I will be very adamant as to finding why for the first time in history that FSN North had territorial restrictions for college hockey and keep you guys posted

Bill
            Last edited by billmich88888; 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

official press release of FSN North..no mention of territorial restrictions... (just saying)

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/03/20/...32&feedID=3550

Comment

uscho blogger on this TV mess:

http://www.uscho.com/in-the-corner/2...stage-by-espn/

Comment

I sent my angry email today to the NCAA's Media Department, wondering if I will get the courtesy of at least a "canned reply" but would rather have someone actually acknowledge they're paying attention to the mess they've made by doing long-term business with ESPN, a network that clearly doesn't care about promoting the sport at the college (or any) level right now. The mess of playing Lucy with the football on the regional networks (apparently in particular if they had a Fox label) is only compounded by making ESPN3 restricted to their favorite son cable providers. Those of us living in rural areas had no recourse at all. I did, at least, enjoy listening to the WMU radio crew stream their broadcast of the Western-NoDak game and could take some solace in listening to a broadcast team more knowledgable than several that ESPN put on the boob tube this weekend. Hockey is still a stepchild of the NCAA and its broadcast "partner" (clear misnomer), with this past weekend stellar proof of that.

Comment

Originally posted by MichPieGuy View Post
                    I sent my angry email today to the NCAA's Media Department, wondering if I will get the courtesy of at least a "canned reply" but would rather have someone actually acknowledge they're paying attention to the mess they've made by doing long-term business with ESPN, a network that clearly doesn't care about promoting the sport at the college (or any) level right now. The mess of playing Lucy with the football on the regional networks (apparently in particular if they had a Fox label) is only compounded by making ESPN3 restricted to their favorite son cable providers. Those of us living in rural areas had no recourse at all. I did, at least, enjoy listening to the WMU radio crew stream their broadcast of the Western-NoDak game and could take some solace in listening to a broadcast team more knowledgable than several that ESPN put on the boob tube this weekend. Hockey is still a stepchild of the NCAA and its broadcast "partner" (clear misnomer), with this past weekend stellar proof of that.
                    Can you post your email and the address so we can all send a unified thought?
                    This space for sale.

Comment

Connelly's article is absolutely dead on. ESPN's interest in televising our sport is clearly being reduced (hell ESPNU doesn't even show a regular season game anymore), and the NCAA is apparently content to let it happen. Frankly if ESPN cares so little, and the ratings are so miniscule as they keep telling us that they are, they should come to an agreement with the NCAA to let someone else sublicense the rights. NBC Sports Channel is trying to become the de facto home for hockey (of all kinds) in general, and CBS College shows regular season games every week. They'd surely care more and give it more of a proper presentation to the tournament.

I do not believe some people's explanation that lacrosse is this big national sport. It's no more of a national sport than college hockey is, yet ESPNU gives it more promotion with their regular season lax games. Would like to see the ratings on those.
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

just don't always jump into the conspiracy theory as the first option
                        ESPN's bad relationship with Fox isn't a conspiracy theory though. It's well known.

Comment

I called the NCAA and left a message for Mark Bedics(sp?). Who I believe runs the tournament. Not necessarily the media guy. It will be interesting what he says, he has always been gracious enough to return my calls in the past, hope that continues

Comment

• Originally posted by bueller View Post
                            Can you post your email and the address so we can all send a unified thought?
                            I agree.... Please??

Comment

My e-mail was to FOX Sports North. While surprised to even get a response, it didn't shed much light on the situation, other than what I already discovered to be the basic reason.

Mr. WeAreNDHockey:

Hello.

We're sorry to hear that you were not able to view the NCAA hockey games televised on FOX Sports North over the weekend.

The reason you were not able to view the game(s) is because of your location in IN. The three hockey games were actually produced by ESPN, therefore per ESPN syndication, only viewers within FOX Sports North’s 5-state region. (MN, WI, SD, ND & IA) were able to view the telecasts. Viewers outside of the five-state area were restricted per ESPN guidelines.

Once again, we’re sorry to learn about your situation. Hopefully this email cleared up some of the confusion? Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

FOX Sports North Staff

The NCAA probably could pursue this a bit more than they likely will. Somewhere in the 1000s of pages of contracts they have with ESPN someone from both sides missed something I'm sure. There are provisions and clauses that mentions availability of programming ESPN purchases, live versus tape delayed coverage, what happens if they sell the programming to a third party, what happens if it is branded differently, or what value they are allowed to place on programming they sell.

Speculation about Notre Dame hockey ending up with such a sweetheart deal on the NBC Sports Network has centered on NBC's decision to migrate at least one Notre Dame football game per season to the former Versus. Since the contract called for home games to be broadcast on "NBC" Notre Dame was not happy about games ending up on what, even with the name change, is still an obscure cable channel that not everyone is aware of or has access to. The contracts were grey enough that maybe the bone thrown ND's way was hockey telecasts. I'm sure our lawyers are no better than the NCAAs (of course if we can get the kind of $$$ we are getting for Notre Dame football maybe they are...) so if they wanted to, they could find a way to force ESPN to at least make these games available to people on traditional multi-channel pay TV on a nationwide basis and leave the pizzing matches out of it.

Comment

No notre dame football game this coming year on the former Versis

Comment

Working...
                                X