Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
    No notre dame football game this coming year on the former Versis
    NBC has already confirmed that NBC Sports Network will be showing games. Jack Swarbrick admitted as much as well when speaking with the South Bend Tribune over the summer. It is only left to be worked out what games and when. It's quite possible a game originally slated for NBC when a schedule is released will be moved to NBCSN. Maybe this year, maybe next.

Comment

So apparently women's college basketball gets better ratings than off season football talk, while the off season football talk trumps men's college hockey.

When the LAX game went long (24 minutes long, it turns out) they figured oh well, hockey fans will just have to miss almost an entire period. But when one women's basketball game goes long (and the final is in zero doubt for the last 2 minutes of game time) WOW suddenly ESPN News is more than available to show us the first minute or two of a game. What in the @@&* was so important on Saturday afternoon that one lousy half hour of ESPN News couldn't be preempted? I freeking hate ESPN. And the NC$$ isn't far behind.

God help us if Tim Tebow gets a hang nail on April 5th because if that happens, you can kiss the Frozen Four goodby. Wall to wall coverage on every available ESPN outlet. Including ESPN Deportes with English subtitles I'm sure. Yeah, yeah, I know, ten years ago none of those regional games were on TV. But if they can do if for women's hoops, they can sure as hell do it for men's hockey.

Comment

They had used ESPN news/classic in the past. Disappointing they didn't do so this year. It may be written into the contracts. I know for sure that every single bowl game is shown in its entirety using ESPN news last year on many occasions. Maybe NCAA hockey didn't (re) negotiate this…

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
          They had used ESPN news/classic in the past. Disappointing they didn't do so this year. It may be written into the contracts. I know for sure that every single bowl game is shown in its entirety using ESPN news last year on many occasions. Maybe NCAA hockey didn't (re) negotiate this…
          If the NCAA had to choose between being migrated to ESPN News for a short period at the beginning of a game, or not having the game shown at all until the previously committed to event has ended, that's a no-brainer. If they chose the latter, I could negotiate a better contract. I could probably negotiate a better one anyway.

ESPNU and ESPNews are available in virtually the same number of homes (72MM for U and 74MM for News) but since different providers stick them in different tiers, it's not completely clear how many homes actually receive each channel. Were U to be subscribed to by substantially fewer homes than News, it may be that ESPN wanted to pay less $$$ to agree to migrate the telecast, even for a short period of time. Incredibly stupid decision by the NCAA if they were given the option and passed, especially since this has become a mostly annual problem.

ESPN wields considerable clout and power. But it's because entities like the NCAA saw those dollars dangled in front of them as ESPN was growing by leaps and bounds in the 80s and 90s that they have become too powerful.

Comment

Working...
          X