UNH @ Lowell 11/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH @ Lowell 11/8

Both teams come off of ties on Friday night. Does UML bounce back from giving up a 3-1 lead? Does Umile continue to stick with 3.95/.877 Brian Foster? Will the Patriots have opened up a sufficient enough lead so people will leave their couches? Can I think of any more questions to ask in the first post?

Comments.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Re: UNH @ Lowell 11/8

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    Does Umile continue to stick with 3.95/.877 Brian Foster?
    boy i sure hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
      boy i sure hope so.
      Really? I figured you'd rather see .889/3.67 DiGirolamo rather than Foster.

And yes, Umile sticks with Foster. Digirolamo is not going to see time unless Foster is hurt or playing ridiculously awful. Foster's numbers are bad this year, but if he starts playing more regularly like he did in the third period last night, they will improve.

In any case, the only way I see UNH winning this game is if the first line has another great night. I think Lowell will do a better job shutting them down than BC did, though.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

okay, they both suck so i don't care which one starts. better?

Comment

I'd imagine one team comes in on a bit of a high, coming back to tie their game. The other comes in the opposite, blowing yet another lead.
          Goon, in regards to your signature, I'll be supporting the Revolution tonight.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Foster actually played well last night, BC didnt score 5 on 5 mostly as a result of Foster standing very tall in the net. BC scored 4 PPGs, atleast 2 deflected in off his own players on shots from the point.

Overall, UNH's team defense is very suspect and their offense does not attempt to possess the puck. They are very geared toward transition hockey; I get the feeling they will be outshot heavily on most nights.

They do have talent up front that can make up for it, you really only need a few good rushes each game to score 2 or 3 goals when you have talented forwards, but the question will be how they continually keep other teams from scoring if they are constantly chasing the puck around.
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
              Foster actually played well last night, BC didnt score 5 on 5 mostly as a result of Foster standing very tall in the net. BC scored 4 PPGs, atleast 2 deflected in off his own players on shots from the point.

Overall, UNH's team defense is very suspect and their offense does not attempt to possess the puck. They are very geared toward transition hockey; I get the feeling they will be outshot heavily on most nights.

They do have talent up front that can make up for it, you really only need a few good rushes each game to score 2 or 3 goals when you have talented forwards, but the question will be how they continually keep other teams from scoring if they are constantly chasing the puck around.
              Based on your synopsis will the smaller ice surface at Tsongas help or hurt UNH? From what I read in the BC/UNH thread there wasn't a lot of checking last night.
              Let's go Lowell.

Comment

This pretty much sums up the prototypical UNH team in the Umile era. Find a top goalie and speedy forwards and let 'er rip.

Speaking of an offense which attempts to possess the puck - I thought BC was exceptional last night at moving the puck around in their offensive zone during the first period. A typical sequence involved multiple passes around the zone with one or more quality shots. As the game wore on, particularly in the 3rd period, BC seemed to be much less successful at controlling the puck in their zone. Did BC change on purpose or did UNH overcome BC's style?
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

In the too little, too late department my 2 tickets in Section A are still available for tomorrows game.

If anyone is in the Stoneham/Reading/Woburn area tonight let me know and I'll give you the tix.
                  Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
                    Based on your synopsis will the smaller ice surface at Tsongas help or hurt UNH? From what I read in the BC/UNH thread there wasn't a lot of checking last night.
                    hard to say, traditionally the small ice would slow down the quick UNH teams of the past. This years team didnt strike me as fast as those teams, especially through all 4 lines, so they might be just fine on smaller surfaces anyway.

But yah, it was alarming the lack of hitting on both sides. Atkinson, who filled in for an injured Kreider, for BC got levelled - but that was about it. If the defenses get in the faces of these forwards and make life uncomfortable for them, both teams (bc and unh) will struggle to score goals 5 on 5.

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                    Speaking of an offense which attempts to possess the puck - I thought BC was exceptional last night at moving the puck around in their offensive zone during the first period. A typical sequence involved multiple passes around the zone with one or more quality shots. As the game wore on, particularly in the 3rd period, BC seemed to be much less successful at controlling the puck in their zone. Did BC change on purpose or did UNH overcome BC's style?
                    probably a little bit of both, as in BC changed and UNH adapted. BC did not change on purpose though; it was just a youthful team that took its foot off the pedal and paid dearly. That said, UNH picked up the pace and played very well even in the 2nd period. The play was atleast even, if not tilted toward UNH for the 2nd period and the overwhelming majority of the third. I have no answers for what happened to them in the first other then UNH was simply not ready to play at that pace. They were losing individual battles all over the ice and were just not getting to loose pucks.
                    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

hard to say, traditionally the small ice would slow down the quick UNH teams of the past. This years team didnt strike me as fast as those teams, especially through all 4 lines, so they might be just fine on smaller surfaces anyway.

But yah, it was alarming the lack of hitting on both sides. Atkinson, who filled in for an injured Kreider, for BC got levelled - but that was about it. If the defenses get in the faces of these forwards and make life uncomfortable for them, both teams (bc and unh) will struggle to score goals 5 on 5.
                      I think you know that Lowell is a big, physical, team so that should help in the corners and on every contested possession against the boards.

I would like to see a repeat of the 8-3 shellacking that Lowell handed UNH last November
                      Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                        Does Umile continue to stick with 3.95/.877 Brian Foster?
                        Umile has no choice. Foster's numbers are deceiving; he played great last weekend in Wisconsin.
                        AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

I would like to see a repeat of the 8-3 shellacking that Lowell handed UNH last November
                          Backup sieve will not be playing.
                          AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Smaller ice has hurt and will hurt UNH until Lake Whitt is drained a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mowers10 View Post
                              Smaller ice has hurt and will hurt UNH until Lake Whitt is drained a bit.
                              What was the reason behind the Olympic size sheet when they built the Whitt?
                              Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Working...
                              X