Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Midwest Regional: Michigan, Ferris, Denver and Cornell

Alright, time for a local food guide.

Here's a large scale, city-wide guide from Green Bay Hub.

I've also created a two custom maps on googlemaps. One is for food within walking distance of the Resch Center. As you could imagine, it's mostly sports bars in the first few blocks around the stadium. Anduzzi's and Stadium View are probably the two most popular in the area, and are sure to be good watering holes. Kroll's (on the northwest side of Lambeau) is a little more of a sports bar meets family diner, but that's another good local standout. The Green Bay Distillery is newer, and also not exactly a sports bar, but I think it's pretty good. Walking a little further away from the Resch Center on Oneida, you'll find an area with a few franchise eateries (Moe's burritos, Jimmy John's, Buffalo Wild Wings), and there's also more of a deli-meets-cheesecake place that I really like called Cheesecake Heaven. As you venture further down Oneida, you start getting a little bit out of walking range, but you will find plenty more places to eat (including a good Vietnamese restaurant and a good place for Gyros), and you'll find tons of options, mostly franchises as you get closer to the mall.

The other map I made features some of my personal favorites around town if you want to venture out. There might be a few of you who would like to know that there's a place in town that will sell you some pretty good pasties to go (Grandma A's Pasties/Cakes From Scratch). My personal favorite when it comes to getting the "Northern Wisconsin" flavor is to go to a supper club. If you feel like venturing out on Saturday, there are quite a few good ones around town. River's Bend and the Eagle's Nest are two of my favorites, but there are plenty more around if you look for them. St. Brendan's Inn is a really good Irish restaurant on the other side of the river ("really good Irish restaurant" is not a phrase I throw around lightly). There's a section of Main St and Reid Ave in De Pere (right next to the St. Norbert's campus) that has a lot of great options, including a gyro/kabob place, and a decent place for Chicago style hot dogs. A little closer to the Resch Center on Oneida is a really good bbq joint called Bates City BBQ. The area by Broadway and Walnut in downtown Green Bay also has quite a few of the city's more interesting restaurants. I'm not sure what the best place would be to go to for a hearty breakfast, but I do like going to Lox Stock and Bagels for bagels, and yes they do have smoked salmon.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ajh258 View Post
      Au contraire, a few of us Cornell fans are making our way from Ithaca and the Northeast area to Green Bay this weekend. We look forward to out numbering you at your host regional.
      Ugh. They are not hosting. ****ed Easterners...
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Alright, time for a local food guide.

Here's a large scale, city-wide guide from Green Bay Hub.

I've also created a two custom maps on googlemaps. One is for food within walking distance of the Resch Center. As you could imagine, it's mostly sports bars in the first few blocks around the stadium. Anduzzi's and Stadium View are probably the two most popular in the area, and are sure to be good watering holes. Kroll's (on the northwest side of Lambeau) is a little more of a sports bar meets family diner, but that's another good local standout. The Green Bay Distillery is newer, and also not exactly a sports bar, but I think it's pretty good. Walking a little further away from the Resch Center on Oneida, you'll find an area with a few franchise eateries (Moe's burritos, Jimmy John's, Buffalo Wild Wings), and there's also more of a deli-meets-cheesecake place that I really like called Cheesecake Heaven. As you venture further down Oneida, you start getting a little bit out of walking range, but you will find plenty more places to eat (including a good Vietnamese restaurant and a good place for Gyros), and you'll find tons of options, mostly franchises as you get closer to the mall.

The other map I made features some of my personal favorites around town if you want to venture out. There might be a few of you who would like to know that there's a place in town that will sell you some pretty good pasties to go (Grandma A's Pasties/Cakes From Scratch). My personal favorite when it comes to getting the "Northern Wisconsin" flavor is to go to a supper club. If you feel like venturing out on Saturday, there are quite a few good ones around town. River's Bend and the Eagle's Nest are two of my favorites, but there are plenty more around if you look for them. St. Brendan's Inn is a really good Irish restaurant on the other side of the river ("really good Irish restaurant" is not a phrase I throw around lightly). There's a section of Main St and Reid Ave in De Pere (right next to the St. Norbert's campus) that has a lot of great options, including a gyro/kabob place, and a decent place for Chicago style hot dogs. A little closer to the Resch Center on Oneida is a really good bbq joint called Bates City BBQ. The area by Broadway and Walnut in downtown Green Bay also has quite a few of the city's more interesting restaurants. I'm not sure what the best place would be to go to for a hearty breakfast, but I do like going to Lox Stock and Bagels for bagels, and yes they do have smoked salmon.
        Well done, sir.

I would add:

* for breakfast, try The Pancake Place on Military Avenue north of the Resch, or Nicolet Restaurant in De Pere.

* Titletown Brewing Co. is a brewpub in an old railroad depot in downtown Green Bay. Great beers (and homemade orange, grape & root beer for those that don't indulge) and great desserts, so would be a good place after the game, too.

I think the Cornell fans won over some locals during the 2006 visit with their enthusiasm and fun. Might find some support again..
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the local German restaurant in town, the Lorelai Inn.

http://www.lorelei-inn.com/

Not a good as what you'll fin in Milwaukee, and a little Americanized, but it's still pretty good.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
            Ugh. They are not hosting. ****ed Easterners...
            True, but what's the difference?
            Let's Go Red!

Comment

Many Denver fans have not seen Ferris State play this season. Earlier today I was sent a note by a fan whose team played Ferris State four times this season. Here is a brief description from that fan about the manner in which this year's Ferris team plays.

==> Be forewarned that FSU clogs everything, blocks shots and plays a huge trap-style--including having too many men often in the neutral zone for "line changes." <==
              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

FWIW, I sent an e-mail to some folks at the Resch Center regarding whether people will be able to leave the building in between games on Friday. I got this response:

I have been told that the building will allow re-entry. The patron on exit will receive a stamp on there ticket and hand. In order to be allowed back in, the patron will need to show the ticket and hand that is stamped, THEY NEED BOTH. This is to stop any possible passing of a ticket. Enjoy the games!

Comment

Just bought my tickets, 15 rows up from the face-off dot in the Michigan corner. There are, er, plenty of good seats available, from what my scan of the Ticketstar website suggests. Getting great seats with four together was a breeze, at least for Friday.

Can anyone tell me how steep the rake of the seats is?
                  Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                    Just bought my tickets, 15 rows up from the face-off dot in the Michigan corner. There are, er, plenty of good seats available, from what my scan of the Ticketstar website suggests. Getting great seats with four together was a breeze, at least for Friday.
                    Can anyone tell me how steep the rake of the seats is?
                    It's not shallow but it's not overwhelming steep. Not really any bad seats unless you are waaaay up in a corner. Row O is right as you walk out from the concourse, so that's about the middle.

Certainly not as shallow as the Kohl Center or most baseball stadiums. Certainly not as steep as the upper deck of the Bradley Center or new Conisky in Chicago.
                    St. Norbert College Green Knights
                    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    ---
                    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      FWIW, I sent an e-mail to some folks at the Resch Center regarding whether people will be able to leave the building in between games on Friday. I got this response:
                      My brother and I will be at the Stadium View between games, no sense in staying inside when there is beer to drink
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                        It's not shallow but it's not overwhelming steep. Not really any bad seats unless you are waaaay up in a corner. Row O is right as you walk out from the concourse, so that's about the middle.

Certainly not as shallow as the Kohl Center or most baseball stadiums. Certainly not as steep as the upper deck of the Bradley Center or new Conisky in Chicago.
                        As long as you're up above the glass the sitelines are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                          Many Denver fans have not seen Ferris State play this season. Earlier today I was sent a note by a fan whose team played Ferris State four times this season. Here is a brief description from that fan about the manner in which this year's Ferris team plays.

==> Be forewarned that FSU clogs everything, blocks shots and plays a huge trap-style--including having too many men often in the neutral zone for "line changes." <==
                          Uh oh... our secret is out!

In Big Rapids we have gotten five or six DU games on tv.
                          "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                          - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                          CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Big Rapids Industrial School? We are playing an associate degree-granting institution formerly known as the Big Rapids Industrial School? I'd be ROTFLMAO if we hadn't lost in the Regionals a couple years ago to a school formerly known as the Rochester Mechanics Institute.

Sarbanes-Oxley requires me to disclose that we used to be the Colorado Seminary..and occasionally play like choirboys, but the Big Rapids Industrial School? Give me a break.
                            Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

Chris Peters breaks down the Midwest bracket.
                              http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...west-regional/
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

*****https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295110_947011409781_40002801_38322062_1258933660_n .jpg******
                                "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                                - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                                CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X