Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HockeyTown? Ya gotta be kidding me

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
    Yes, you support the NHL fanatically, which is why the Wild are 16th in attendance, and 18th by percentage of capacity. Hockey hotbeds like San Jose and Washington fill more of their buildings. That's really rabid support you have there.

You Minnesotans crack me up.
    What part of "support as a whole" do you not understand? Check attendance, players in the sport, etc etc etc, at all levels. Then get back to me. Thank you. Next.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yes, 16th in attendance. Also 30th in scoring.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        What part of "support as a whole" do you not understand? Check attendance, players in the sport, etc etc etc, at all levels. Then get back to me. Thank you. Next.
        2010-11 US Hockey registrations: 54,251 Michigan, 54,325 Minnesota. Pretty much dead even.

Comment

Actually better yet. Tell me a state that outdraws the high school tourney, and/or the WCHA tourney at any time. If you want bonus points, make that proof consistently.

Some cities only have pro teams to live off of. So, again, have another shot at it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

104,173 at the Big House for one Michigan-Michigan State game blows away any WCHA tournament total weekend attendance, ever.

Not to mention that they'll not only sell out Michigan Stadium again for Wings-Leafs on January 1, but will easily sell out Comerica Park for a Wings-Leafs alumni game the same weekend, and probably for the GLI too. Top that.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
              104,173 at the Big House for one Michigan-Michigan State game blows away any WCHA tournament total weekend attendance, ever.

Not to mention that they'll not only sell out Michigan Stadium again for Wings-Leafs on January 1, but will easily sell out Comerica Park for a Wings-Leafs alumni game the same weekend, and probably for the GLI too. Top that.
              Those are gimmicks. Apples and oranges.

This thread is stupid.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

CCHA keeps the games at JLA a closely guarded secret. The sad facts are that unless Michigan is playing, JLA will not attract hockey fans. Even Sparty doesn't draw. Went to the NCAA Championship game several years ago. It was something like Colgate vs. RPI and I'll bet that there were't 2,000 fans there. Even if the CCHA or NCAA pours four times the normal advertising dollars into promoting these types of games, there is just too much competition for the hockey dollar in the Detroit metro area.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                  CCHA keeps the games at JLA a closely guarded secret. The sad facts are that unless Michigan is playing, JLA will not attract hockey fans. Even Sparty doesn't draw. Went to the NCAA Championship game several years ago. It was something like Colgate vs. RPI and I'll bet that there were't 2,000 fans there. Even if the CCHA or NCAA pours four times the normal advertising dollars into promoting these types of games, there is just too much competition for the hockey dollar in the Detroit metro area.
                  I am not sure which year you are referring to. In 1985 (more than a few years ago), RPI defeated Providence at the JLA, but attendance was listed as 16,282 (source 1985-86 RPI Media Guide). It couldn't be that far wrong.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The marketing campaign for my team is better than the marketing campaign for your team!!!!
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I am not sure which year you are referring to. In 1985 (more than a few years ago), RPI defeated Providence at the JLA, but attendance was listed as 16,282 (source 1985-86 RPI Media Guide). It couldn't be that far wrong.
                      Maybe 1990? Combined attendance for the two semifinals and the finals is listed at 24,569, and I can see most of those numbers coming from the two games involving Wisconsin, and notsomuch the Colgate - Boston University semi-final.

Comment

Agreed, that as a whole minnesota has more of a hockey culture, especially amatuer hockey, than Michigan. Having said that, Michigan supports NHL hockey better. If you listen to the radio here the Wings are a constant point of discussion, but not the whalers, or any of the universities, (but even here people still mispronounce Lidstrom constantly.)

As far as how this relates to a tournament, the final five is unique in college sports. It's a shame it's going away. All of the new leagues will have to come up with creative ways to handle their tourney's to keep up attendance. Holding it in Minnesota is one way to up attendance, no question.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The biggest part of the reason why it looks like we don't support NHL hockey is because we're sick of the fact that the Wild are a horse**** team. Why go watch the Wild when we can go watch a Minnetonka-Edina game, or go watch a top-10 Gopher team. It's really a no brainer. The Wild get their act together, and that attendance will be right back where it was 5 years ago.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            The biggest part of the reason why it looks like we don't support NHL hockey is because we're sick of the fact that the Wild are a horse**** team. Why go watch the Wild when we can go watch a Minnetonka-Edina game, or go watch a top-10 Gopher team. It's really a no brainer. The Wild get their act together, and that attendance will be right back where it was 5 years ago.
                            I agree. And considering the fact that the Wild are so brutal (4th to last in the entire league and 1 point out of 2nd to last), 16th in the league in average attendance at roughly 17,730 per game isn't really bad IMO. They're ahead of plenty of teams with records much better than ours:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Couple of questions....

so- you get a raise for being hockeytown or denying it?

do you get more nookie if you are the state of hockey or try to illustrate that it's not?

Seriously- why does it even matter?

Michigan fans go to football over basketball over hockey, big deal. Detroit fans would rather see the Red wings, so what.

Minnesota fans like HS hockey over pro- sounds like Indiana and basketball- WHO CARES?

It's not as if you actually gain anything out of this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Couple of questions....

so- you get a raise for being hockeytown or denying it?

do you get more nookie if you are the state of hockey or try to illustrate that it's not?

Seriously- why does it even matter?

Michigan fans go to football over basketball over hockey, big deal. Detroit fans would rather see the Red wings, so what.

Minnesota fans like HS hockey over pro- sounds like Indiana and basketball- WHO CARES?

It's not as if you actually gain anything out of this argument.
                                Youth hockey is a source of pride in Minnesota, but you're right, the monikers really don't matter.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X