Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: # days until Jutting is collecting unemnployment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Just thinking out loud here but what happens that, on the day he was hired and for several years after, he is a great coach but sometime in there he loses his abilities and gets canned? Certainly some coaches are better than others, but I wonder, if he is such a crummy coach, why did you hire him in the first place.?
    Ask Jamie Russell.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
      First, he still has a job, just not coaching hockey. Second, isn't the point of the game to score more goals than the other team? He failed to achieve his goals (pun intended) and got sacked.
      I understand that part fully. What I don't understand are people who revel in others getting fired, no matter what their job. Like I said in the earlier post, had he taken another job for more money after MSU-M made the NCAA, he'd have been disloyal, chasing the buck, a traitor and such. Fans are fickle for sure, and basic human decency goes out the window in support of our teams. Must be time to head for Kentucky or Vancouver and burn stuff, because that's what fans do and that's what should be expected.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here but what happens that, on the day he was hired and for several years after, he is a great coach but sometime in there he loses his abilities and gets canned? Certainly some coaches are better than others, but I wonder, if he is such a crummy coach, why did you hire him in the first place.?
        Sometimes you were wrong on the initial hire. Sometimes coaches get burned out and just don't put as much into it as they used to. Sometimes they don't keep up with changes in the game. There are dozens and dozens of reasons.

He had exactly two seasons out of twelve with a conference record of over .500. He made the Final Five and the NCAA once in those twelve years. I don't think anyone would say he was "a great coach for several years."
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

You can still be a "good coach" and still not get the job done. There are way to many factors to just say that good coaches win and bad coaches lose, much more goes into it than that.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Would not surprise me to see Jutting end up in some role with USA Hockey. He has been an active participant in the past, and they seem to provide a soft landing for those who help with the program.

Comment

I don't wish ill on Troy Jutting. I don't know the man at all. It was simply time to try something else, because the current situation clearly wasn't working.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                I don't wish ill on Troy Jutting. I don't know the man at all. It was simply time to try something else, because the current situation clearly wasn't working.
                I totally agree and it wasn't working in Houghton either. Once the decision was made or more likely before, the university spent more money. So now the question is, does Mankato have a mandate to spend more? what are they going to do going forward?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                  Eric Means?
                  I would believe they'd want someone outside of Jutting's staff at any time.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Out of curiosity, does Mankato have any alums that are in coaching elsewhere (whether juniors, college, pro)?

I can't see Eades or Hastings at Mankato. I do think a Lalonde or a Rud would be a good fit. Maybe not quite the bigger names some Mavs fans may wish for but youngish guys that probably would have some fire in their belly to show their stuff.
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Just curious, if a Mankato fan loses their job, would it be acceptable for Troy Jutting to post on a message board how happy he is? Would it be classy for anyone to say, "I'm glad that so and so lost their job" They funny thing is, many who are cheering Jutting losing his job, would have ripped him if he had left for a more lucrative offer the year after they went to the NCAA/
                      First, it's not like we want Troy to go burn in hell, we think he's a terrible person, etc. He hasn't been the right guy for an investment many of us make, spending 300 dollars a seat to watch an insufficient product for our investment. Should we be happy? Why not? Our administration has finally understood what we believed was the problem, which was that Troy has done all that he can with our program. We're grateful Troy took us to an NCAA tournament, but our program hasn't evolved since, and it time to move on, which generates excitement someone new can maybe begin to take the program a step further.
                      Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: # days until Jutting is collecting unemnployment

Frankly, he got hired due to his ties to MSU. He's been affiliated with the school for 26 years running. He's a good dude that played here, was an assistant coach here, and then became the coach because he was hand picked by Don Brose. He's not a bad guy and probably not a bad coach, but a new voice was needed. I don't condone the "reveling" that people are doing. And I always was uncomfortable with the "Fire Jutting" chants (as I am with anyone having to hear that). I can't imagine what it's like to hear that kind of thing about your spouse or dad. That would be horrible.

Unfortunately, all civility goes out the window when it comes to sports. No team is immune to it because people feel that them paying $17 for a ticket gives them the right to say or do anything. It's unfortunate, but I do think most of these guys understand what they're getting into when they are hired. They know at some point it's going to happen to them. That doesn't make it right, it just makes it realistic.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbayguy View Post
                          Would not surprise me to see Jutting end up in some role with USA Hockey. He has been an active participant in the past, and they seem to provide a soft landing for those who help with the program.
                          I don't think he will. The man bleeds purple and gold. He loves MSU and the athletics program. The things that he's done behind the scenes to help MSU hockey and other MSU athletic teams is something you won't see from most coaches. Check out the story below from CHN. Maybe he'll end up somewhere else over time and I could be wrong. Wherever he is, he will be an asset to that organization.

Jutting a Class Act All the Way
                          Posted by: Dan Myers

A lot has been said by fans over the years about the job done by now-former Minnesota State coach Troy Jutting.

Some have been supportive. Some have been critical. Some have been ridiculously critical. Ask Shane Frederick of the Mankato Free Press. Moderating his live blog on game nights has become a bigger and bigger chore for him over the years.

Calling for a coach’s job is nothing new. Since the advent of talk radio and message boards on the internet, it’s become almost customary. Heck, as a sophomore at Minnesota State, I once wrote an editorial calling for Jutting’s job. I even named guys I would replace him with.

A couple of months later, I was handed the men’s hockey beat.

Talk about awkward. The guy I wrote a scathing story about, calling for his job, was now a guy I was going to have to cover on a daily basis. To his credit, he never held it against me. He gave me his cell phone number, said I could give him a call anytime. He gave me incredible access to his team, when he didn’t have to. He allowed an aspiring journalist — someone who had always wanted to cover football — to fall in love with covering hockey.

Anyone that has covered the Mavericks and the WCHA for any amount of time has their favorite Jutting stories. For those that don’t know him on that level, trust me when I say, there is only one Troy Jutting. I seriously hope Shane writes the book someday. We’ve spent countless hours on the road, going to Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Bemidji… re-hashing old Jutts stories. They never get old.

Talk to Jutting about MSU sometime and you can feel his genuine passion for the school he has dedicated more than a quarter of a century to building. After the women’s golf coach resigned midseason back in 2006, Jutting volunteered to take over. He had never coached women. He had never coached golf. But the school was in a tough spot, and he answered the call. “I can’t judge their golf swings. But I can judge desire and competitiveness,” he said at the time. I have friends that played on the team and they adore Troy for doing what he did.

He’s had plenty of success at MSU at the rink too. Not many coaches have won a pair of WCHA Coach of the Year awards, but Jutting has. But in the end, the losing became too much. Injuries ravaged Mavericks early-on this year and it set them back from the very beginning. Despite a very respectable second half, MSU had dug too deep of a hole, finishing in 11th place for the second straight season.

Jutting’s legacy at MSU is a good one. He is one of the best players to ever wear purple and gold. He was an assistant under Don Brose for a decade, taking over a young WCHA program in its infancy and bringing it to a Final Five and an NCAA Tournament. But it’s been almost 10 years since it happened, and some think perhaps Jutting has brought this team as far as he can.

Certainly, the next coach will have a great opportunity to pick up where he left off. MSU’s best players will be sophomores next season. They have a rock-solid freshman group on its way in. If everyone sticks around, the Mavs have some solid upperclassmen sprinkled in too.

Whomever takes over will have success and will get a lot of credit. Hopefully Troy Jutting gets his share too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            Out of curiosity, does Mankato have any alums that are in coaching elsewhere (whether juniors, college, pro)?

I can't see Eades or Hastings at Mankato. I do think a Lalonde or a Rud would be a good fit. Maybe not quite the bigger names some Mavs fans may wish for but youngish guys that probably would have some fire in their belly to show their stuff.
                            The only alum that I know of is Ryan McKelvie, but he's still a bit inexperienced as he's in his first year at Lake Forest (D3).

I still think that Kato is a bit more attractive to "bigger" names. It's still one of a very limited amount of jobs out there. Yes, there are challenges, but those guys have a simple question to ask: do I want to be "the man" or do I want to be answering to "the man"? If they want to be a head coach, they are going to need to elsewhere in many cases. You don't get the best job right from being the assistant very often and the supposedly better jobs don't open up that often. MSU has a good core group of kids that just need some direction. If there is an on-ice group to hit the ground running with, this very well could be it.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              First, it's not like we want Troy to go burn in hell, we think he's a terrible person, etc. He hasn't been the right guy for an investment many of us make, spending 300 dollars a seat to watch an insufficient product for our investment. Should we be happy? Why not? Our administration has finally understood what we believed was the problem, which was that Troy has done all that he can with our program. We're grateful Troy took us to an NCAA tournament, but our program hasn't evolved since, and it time toove on, which generates excitement someone new can maybe begin to take the program a step further.
                              Well said.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I saw a tweet yesterday that Shjon Podein may be a candidate. The jump from coaching at St. Louis Park to going to the WCHA would be quite huge...
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X