Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: # days until Jutting is collecting unemnployment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
    Since this hasn't been posted here yet....

And this one out of nowhere....
    There are so many great coaches who don't have degrees. Wes Walz would make a great coach. IMO, some of these guys should earn a degree.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      If Eades really is that interested, and if I were Mankato's AD, he'd already be booked for an interview at 9 AM Monday. I'd want to go after someone truly interested in the position, and with the qualifications to hang onto that highly touted freshman class.

Even as a fan of a different program, I think the nWCHA would be that much stronger as a conference with a coach like Eades leading MSUM.
      I agree with you one hundred percent. Of we could somehow find a way to get Eades, I'd be so happy with our university it would be crazy. No to mention how excited id be with the talent I have coming back.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        They still had some left?!? I'd imagine the ticket office there is similar to Munchkinland after that house landed on that broad
        Great line!
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Shane Frederick Mankato Free Press

MANKATO — If all goes perfectly, the Minnesota State men’s hockey team could have a new coach in a little more than two weeks.

“My goal, my self-imposed deadline is before school gets out,” MSU athletic director Kevin Buisman said. “That’s an absolute, sort of an outside limit.”

The last day of classes at the university is April 27, with finals week scheduled for April 30-May 5.

However, Buisman said it would be ideal to have a coach in place by the time the American Hockey Coaches Association convention and conference meetings take place a bit earlier in Naples, Fla.

The convention is April 26-29, with Western Collegiate Hockey Association coaches meetings on April 25. Buisman said he will attend other WCHA meetings scheduled for April 28-30.

“There could be a lot of twists and turns along the way, but it would be nice to be down at those very important meetings with our new head coach,” he said.

The job opening was posted on the Minnesota State website Wednesday, three days after coach Troy Jutting was removed as head coach and reassigned to an administrative role. Officials may begin reviewing applicants Tuesday.

Buisman credited MSU President Richard Davenport for helping expedite the process. Davenport said he will be closely involved with the search, which will remain open until a coach is hired. University officials also have begun identifying candidates that they believe will be good fits.

“We don’t want to be hasty about it,” Buisman said. “This is a defining moment for the program.”

Since Jutting was removed Sunday, Buisman said most of his working hours have been spent on the search for a replacement.

“It’s fair to say there’s been a lot of interest,” Buisman said. “The eyes of college hockey are upon us. What we believed to be true has been affirmed by the interest.”

During Monday’s press conference explaining the decision to reassign Jutting to an administrative role after 12 seasons as coach, Jutting, Buisman and Davenport all made the case that the opening would attract a variety of interest.

Indeed, names of potential candidates have begun to surface, including a few prominent WCHA assistant coaches.

The Mavericks had the top-scoring freshman class in the WCHA last season, led by the team’s leading scorer, Matt Leitner, and conference all-rookie selection Jean-Paul LaFontaine.

They also have an incoming recruiting class of eight players that includes at least two top-end forward prospects, Teddy Blueger of Shattuck-St. Mary’s in Faribault and Bryce Gervais, who was one of the top goal scorers in the British Columbia Hockey League.

Currently, Mavericks associate head coach Darren Blue and assistant coach Todd Knott are running the hockey operations. They’re monitoring spring workouts with the current players, communicating with incoming recruits and making other preparations for next season.
          Also from the Free Press, the list:

MANKATO — Kevin Buisman said he had a short list of potential candidates to be the next coach of the Minnesota State men’s hockey team. While the MSU athletic director is keeping that list close to the vest, that hasn’t stopped the speculation about who might end up getting the job.

“I’m confident the names being bandied about are the kind of coaches we can attract for this job,” Buisman said. “They’re not out of the realm of possibility in terms of candidates for this opportunity.”

Following is a look at potential candidates, some of whom just might be on that short list:

Mike Guentzel, Minnesota associate head coach: Minnesota State is the only Division I team with a vacancy right now, but Guentzel would be at the top of anyone’s list. After three years away and stops with three different teams, the longtime Gophers assistant returned to his alma mater and helped them reach the Frozen Four (Minnesota was eliminated by Boston College on Thursday). He seems content at Minnesota but has said recently that he wants to be a head coach.

Cary Eades, North Dakota associate head coach: Eades is the only person who has been public about applying for the MSU job and is interested. He has been at North Dakota, his second stint on the bench for his alma mater, since 2004. He also won three state titles coaching Warroad High School and also was a successful junior coach in Dubuque, Iowa, for two years.

Mike Hastings, Nebraska-Omaha associate head coach: There’s been speculation that Hastings is the heir apparent in Omaha when Dean Blais retires. But when will that happen? Hastings has been with the red Mavericks for three seasons and spent one season on the bench at Minnesota. He was also a successful junior coach with the Omaha Lancers where he became all-time winningest coach in USHL history.

John Harrington, former St. John’s head coach: Harrington’s name has come up several times since MSU’s coaching change. A member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Olympic team, Harrington spent 15 seasons with the Division III Johnnies. He has also been a Division I assistant at Denver and St. Cloud State. Harrington was a one of three finalists for the job when Troy Jutting was hired in 2000 (current Minnesota Duluth coach Scott Sandelin was the other).

Tom Ward, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School prep coach/hockey director: Ward has coached some of the best players to play college hockey over the last 10 years — as well as NHL star Sidney Crosby — at the Faribault hockey factory. Current Maverick Eli Zuck played for him, as did future MSU players Teddy Blueger and Ryan Schwalbe, who just led the Sabres to the USA Hockey 18 & Under national title.

Others of note: Derek Lalonde, head coach/general manager, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL); Steve Rohlik, associate head coach, Ohio State; Eric Rud, assistant coach, Colorado College.
          AF 99

Comment

Hastings (and probably Mike G) are not going anywhere.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Hastings (and probably Mike G) are not going anywhere.
              I would agree that Hastings is probably the least likely. I'm kind of puzzled on Guentzel. I'm sure he's looking into it, the possibilities he'd have, etc, and trying to weigh that in over his possibilities at the U.

I think that realistic options as of right now, and the favorites, so to speak, are...

1. Cary Eades
              2. Derek Lalonde
              3. John Harrington/Tom Ward-Tom is an interesting candidate as he has always had a great relationship with Jutting.
              AF 99

Comment

I'd say Eades. You'd be fools not to hire him, given his success/name/etc. I will refrain from UND's rep as a goon squad, as it really has no bearing for what MSUM is looking for.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'd say Eades. You'd be fools not to hire him, given his success/name/etc. I will refrain from UND's rep as a goon squad, as it really has no bearing for what MSUM is looking for.
                  I agree one hundred percent. He's fiery and has been a part of a huge winning tradition as well. It's really a no brainer, and the fact he has publicly stated he's interested already shows he's committed and ready do be the head coach.
                  AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    I agree one hundred percent. He's fiery and has been a part of a huge winning tradition as well. It's really a no brainer, and the fact he has publicly stated he's interested already shows he's committed and ready do be the head coach.
                    The big question, of course, will be how much $ these "name" guys want, compared to what MSU is willing to pay.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                      The big question, of course, will be how much $ these "name" guys want, compared to what MSU is willing to pay.
                      To save the program, they have no other choice then to pay the money. Also is Lalonde considered a "name" guy?

If they don't pay the money, like they should, my bet is the hire Harrington.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        Boom.

Agreed.

Although with Eades publicly showing support, he probably cost himself a little money.....

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          I'm kind of puzzled on Guentzel. I'm sure he's looking into it, the possibilities he'd have, etc, and trying to weigh that in over his possibilities at the U.
                          If you are honest, the Mankato situation isn't without some sizable risks for a guy in Guentzel's situation. He knows that in his current spot, he is the unquestioned heir apparent for the Gophers. Especially after this recent season. Nobody would blink an eye around here if Guentzel were handed the head coach job at Minnesota this summer. If he leaves, he opens up the door for somebody else to step in and potentially take that top spot because Lucia won't be bringing in a "dog" asst coach like John Hill ever again. He learned his lesson there. Not to mention, if Guentzel did leave it won't help his case as the next Gopher coach if he has anything less than stellar results elsewhere. If he remains in his situation at Minnesota, the team is probably going to contend for trophies most years and he maintains his status.

It was funny when Cardinal noticed that Eades started following Mankato recruit Bryce Gervais on Twitter the day before Eades's name came out in the Mankato paper as a (very vocal) candidate. Kind of tipped the hand a bit because you don't tend to see an asst. coach for a different college team start following the recruit of another college team... I'll be pretty surprised if Eades isn't the guy. He actually appears to really want the gig.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Boom.

Agreed.

Although with Eades publicly showing support, he probably cost himself a little money.....
                            He'll make that up by demanding his contact contain a monthly expense account for mustache combs and mustache wax.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

The new coach will be announced in the next few days, and fans "will be impressed," according to MSU President Richard Davenport.
                              http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...r-to-new-coach

Comment

My guess, Eades
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X