X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine thread (cont) - Hobey Abbott goes Dancing

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    learn the game.
    I logged on to delete my mean spirited post, but I am gonna leave it up...
    maybe it would be good for your boyfriend to read that not everyone who is a Maine fan thinks that it is ok to float all the time and to rest on points against UVM.

look at the bright side, monday night he will be playing for a team that might make some playoffs that matter.... and getting $650 a week
    I think you are the one who needs to learn the game mr Oconner is the best on the team.........U have to be the worst Maine fan going...........but im sure you have been in the Hobey running and know the game that much better than all of Maine and the forums.

Have fun at mens league, keyboard warrior!

Comment

I have two views of what went on... the first is that MC instigated all night long...a hit after every whistle... adn if maine just took it, no calls were made... but if maine hit back, then matching minors.
      the lesson there, is that Maine has to hit first after whistles and not play timmy's ghandi game.... until they cannot take it anymore.

the other thought is that MC is doing what Jackie's and Shawn;s teams did/do....and doing it very well.
      it is frustrating when someone elese beats ya at a game that you were so good at for so long.

it woudl have been nice if benedetto had noticed what was going on and called 2 minors on MC and one on maine when maine hit back.. then mc would have cut the shyt
      ...but they didn't and abbott adn diamond sat all night long... point dennehy
      Exactly. It's not like they reffed 4 different games in one night. It was what it was. As a team, you can either figure that out or you can keep running into a brick wall, complaining each time that the wall shouldn't be there.

I think Maine could have figured it out. I'm not sure they were disciplined enough to want to.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

It's this simple. Dennehy outcoached Whitehead.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
          It's this simple. Dennehy outcoached Whitehead.
          100%, thought they would have figured it out after the first.

Comment

I have two views of what went on... the first is that MC instigated all night long...a hit after every whistle... adn if maine just took it, no calls were made... but if maine hit back, then matching minors.
            the lesson there, is that Maine has to hit first after whistles and not play timmy's ghandi game.... until they cannot take it anymore.

the other thought is that MC is doing what Jackie's and Shawn;s teams did/do....and doing it very well.
            it is frustrating when someone elese beats ya at a game that you were so good at for so long.

it woudl have been nice if benedetto had noticed what was going on and called 2 minors on MC and one on maine when maine hit back.. then mc would have cut the shyt
            ...but they didn't and abbott adn diamond sat all night long... point dennehy
            Absolutely agree !! Refs lost control of the game by not calling instigator penalties..........then they tried to give Maine the game at the end with the best players in the box in an attempt to fix the stat sheet............
            Tim should have also recognized what was happening and let loose his 4th line guys to to target key MC players...........They should have had an all out brawl right off early in the game......I thought that the officials were in over their heads on this one..........

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
              Absolutely agree !! Refs lost control of the game by not calling instigator penalties..........then they tried to give Maine the game at the end with the best players in the box in an attempt to fix the stat sheet............
              Tim should have also recognized what was happening and let loose his 4th line guys to to target key MC players...........They should have had an all out brawl right off early in the game......I thought that the officials were in over their heads on this one..........
              Thought so too, refs did not call the instigator penalties in the beginning, but Maine did fall into the trap. Don't think the refs were ready for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyj65 View Post
                Thought so too, refs did not call the instigator penalties in the beginning, but Maine did fall into the trap. Don't think the refs were ready for this one.
                They tried. Called matchings 13 seconds after the drop. Only problem was the message Merrimack got wasn't "cut the crap" it was "keep it up and we'll send 2 to the box."

Whitehead knew it. From USCHO recap: “Credit to Merrimack, they got it done, they had a strategy and it worked,” Maine coach Tim Whitehead said. “They wanted to get our best players in the box and they got it accomplished.” and “After every whistle, you try to grab a guy and find a way to bring bring him to the box. It’s no secret, it’s a good strategy, and it worked – hats off to them.”

What he said to the guys about it between periods, we'll never know but by then either its too late or the emotions had taken over.

And also kudos to Whitehead for saying it and saying it in a way that doesn't sound like whining. Plants some seeds for the way tomorrow's called, maybe.
                Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Glad I didn't pay admission for that fiasco. I left with 3:27 to go...when I left the press box Joe Kennedy was starting to announce the penalties that were assessed and he had just finished when I hit the doors on the other side of the arena. What a mess. Is it too late to ship Benny to BU and we get Bunyon for tonight's game?

On the bright side, even with a loss tonight Maine is in the tournament unless one or more of these teams win their conference:
                  CCHA: Bowling Green
                  ECAC: Harvard, Yale, Quinnipiac, Colgate
                  Hockey East: Providence
                  WCHA: Michigan Tech, Wisconsin, SCSU

But I'd really like to see the Bears playing next week in Boston...just please don't give us Officer Benny.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    They tried. Called matchings 13 seconds after the drop. Only problem was the message Merrimack got wasn't "cut the crap" it was "keep it up and we'll send 2 to the box."
                    unfortunately for you, I agree wholeheartedly... but since I have never been considered for a hobey, you must be wrong.

This was a game that Joey might have wanted to run Cannata at full speed... not that I am condoning, it, but at least he would have taken someone to the box with him when they retaliated AND he would have gotten a lick in... instead, Maine never got any licks in.

why do I think that Shawn or Grant would have known just what to say in order to keep Maine out of the box and not retaliating...
                    nd why do I think Brent Shepherd would have known just what to say to get Merrimack players (and coaches) to throw punches at him and get thrown out of the game

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

Whitehead knew it. From USCHO recap: �Credit to Merrimack, they got it done, they had a strategy and it worked,� Maine coach Tim Whitehead said. �They wanted to get our best players in the box and they got it accomplished.� and �After every whistle, you try to grab a guy and find a way to bring bring him to the box. It�s no secret, it�s a good strategy, and it worked � hats off to them.�

What he said to the guys about it between periods, we'll never know but by then either its too late or the emotions had taken over.

And also kudos to Whitehead for saying it and saying it in a way that doesn't sound like whining. Plants some seeds for the way tomorrow's called, maybe.
                      Good comments by Timmy, aside from the "hats off" part...

MC played a BS game from the get-go, Maine played right into their hand, and the refs had no clue at all. I don't think taking my hat off to anyone involved is justified. That was one brutal game to watch.

Being back in Maine again, I've heard some things from people I haven't seen in a while to the effect that Whitehead's job is on the line if he doesn't find a way to get The Bears to Boston. Talk is cheap, sounds like BS from here, etc..., but tonight's game is nevertheless a litmus-test for me, as far as Timmy goes.

Maine can skate rings around Merrimack. If TW can't come up with a decent game-plan, and impose that on the team, it's really all on him.

Comment

Just a brutal game and exactly what I expected from Merri-hack! But Maine allowed it to happen. Friday night despite penalties the game had flow and Maine easily controlled the tempo. There was no flow what-so-ever last night and thus it was perfect Merrihack hockey.

Spencer, Joey, and Flynn need to stay out of the box at all costs tonight and concentrate on what they do best putting pucks in the net. Any after whistle scrums they need to be turning back and allow the d-men to do the pushing. Maine was the team finishing checks on Friday to. The 'hackers can not skate with Maine, but if they are allowed to slow the game down we will not be seeing the Garden once again.

Also after a perfect game Friday night clearing rebounds and blocking shots Sullivan was hung to dry on so many occasions. Forget about the coaching BS in this thread that everyone wants to get back to. I am sure every body on the staff was imploring them to turn the other cheek, but they did not do it, they were not the more desperate team last night and it showed. JOEY's first 5 could have been the worst penalty he has taken all year, he had actually drawn a penalty and we are down 3 goals and he picks up a 5! They have got to play smart tonight!

Maine must set the tempo early and force Merrihack to be the team marching to the box. And the power play needs to get a goal early as they have been struggling of late! Hope I see the team that played Friday tonight!

Comment

sweeper... did you put together another video of all the great passes from the Saturday night game?

and to the Joey haters... anyone else commit a lot of stupid penalies?
                          The first facemask call was absolutely stupid, MC players have enough discipline to take the first penalty and then just stand there and let Maine do what they want and Joey was more than happy to oblige.

Anyone else think Tim should have pulled the goalie way earlier than he did?

Maine is mentally soft and have been for years,
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Good comments by Timmy, aside from the "hats off" part...
                            Hats off is the right call, MC has a plan that allowed them to win, Did Maine?, totally outcoached, totally outplayed and Dennehy gets his players to actually do what he says.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Was I seeing things or at one point did Benadetto (sp?) pull on the MC coaches tie while he was leaning over talking about a penalty that had just been called?

Comment

Not a great way to play for a team that wants to go to the NCAA's, that's for sure. They'd get their keisters handed to them 9 times out of 10, playing the way they did Saturday night.

Wise up, guys. You have the talent to skate around MC and figure out the MC goalie a number of times. Playing MC's game isn't going to do it.

As if they'd listen or read these posts

Edit: it looks like it was a record of sorts, penalty-wise...

"Both teams combined to take 50 penalties, a single-game Hockey East tournament record, for a total of 184 minutes, including three game misconducts and six ten-minute misconducts. Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2012/03/...#ixzz1ooQgaqir "
                                Last edited by whatever; 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X