RPI 2011-12 Part VI: Sweet Meteor of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part VI: Sweet Meteor of Death

If it was 3-2, we forechecked hard for 60 minutes and stayed out of the box, I might have a different opinion. We took stupid penalties, and they led to goals. For the first 30 minutes, we clearly did not follow the game plan.

160 minute effort tonight, or we're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I would like our chances a whole lot better if we knew that we will get a fairly called game tonight(not saying at all that last night was as bad as we have seen). After putting a pretty good scare into the number 1 seed last night, it will be interesting to see if any changes in the offical crew are made. Will we see Kotyra? Murphy?
      Doc, we can't control the zebras. We have to go out and play our game and what will be will be.
      I didn't have a lot of complaints about last nights officiating. I could count at least four times when our own announcers said that we got away with obvious penalties.
      I do think that the refs were trying to stay out of the way. As for the holding call late in the game, who knows where that came from.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

My tops 6 takeaways from last night.
        1- grossnick drops early on almost every shot.
        2- that ice was awful last night, players falling, puck bouncing.
        3- Merriam was livid with the ref after allowing that 3rd goal, and played better mad.
        4- if we played 5-5 for 60 minutes we would beat union every time.
        5- after they ran Merriam twice, the game was very chippy the rest of the way.
        6- ecac refs, linemen are the dumbest in hockey.
        Let's go red tonight.
        I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
          My tops 6 takeaways from last night.
          1- grossnick drops early on almost every shot.
          2- that ice was awful last night, players falling, puck bouncing.
          3- Merriam was livid with the ref after allowing that 3rd goal, and played better mad.
          4- if we played 5-5 for 60 minutes we would beat union every time.
          5- after they ran Merriam twice, the game was very chippy the rest of the way.
          6- ecac refs, linemen are the dumbest in hockey.
          Let's go red tonight.
          These are some very good points. To elaborate more:
          1) Both goals went in high. Cullen needed to shoot high on his breakaway, would have been an easy goal but he did at least make a good move first before shooting, gave him a chance to score low.
          2) The ice at that dump is traditionally awful, nothing you can do about it. The description that always sticks with me was "like skating on plastic" several years back.
          3) I'm used to the fact that when we play Union, they're going to score either a moronic goal, a BS goal, or a questionable goal, and that was the first. It was legit, just had some dumb circumstances surrounding it, like Chip McDonald, shocker of shocks, being in about the worst possible position.
          4) Mm... maybe, maybe not. Union dominated 5x5 in the first period, which is their gameplan. They also fell back into the trap after going up 3-1, which gave us more puck possession.
          5) Definitely. The first one was potentially an accident but the second one was really reckless.
          6) No question about this one.

If I'm RPI (and Bryce Merriam), I'm more upset over Union's even-strength goal than anything. Bad turnover and both Merriam and the defender (forget who it was) played a defensible 2-on-1 poorly. Merriam should have sealed the short side, and the defender had a good angle to cut down the pass but pursued Novak instead, which really left him with two goodoptions - shoot or pass, either could have worked.

All in all, it's a loss I can live with for a couple of reasons. First, easily the best show we've put against them this year. Second, it wasn't a knockout blow by any stretch of the imagination. It would be tough, but one can still see RPI, if they play the way they did last night two more times, coming away with a pair of Ws and moving on. Last night was more of a "Union won this round" type deal, but we got some good blows in at the end so we're ready for Round 2 regardless.

If not, so what, we're not supposed to win this weekend anyway. We've got no pressure at all.
          Last edited by Red Cloud; 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Par the course, we took the usual screw job from the ECAC refs. Where to begin, how do you call that holding with six minutes to go in a close game like that..nickel and dime at best. This is where the ego of Mr. Stewart permeates down to his crews. Let them play, stop the ticky tack calls especially at these junctures of the games. From my vantage point and a few others that was goaltending interference on the third goal. And can anyone explain why they had to review Alex's goal which was clearly a goal.
            I don't know how you can complain about the officiating last night! RPI averages 14 penalty minutes per game, so statistically, it was a below average night. I thought the officials missed a few calls both ways, and besides, a penalty is a penalty, regardless of what point of the game you are at. Your hatred towards Mr. Stewart is evident, which I think sometimes clouds your judgement of the officials.

I hardly think the officials screwed RPI last night. However, I will say that at times, they do call "ticky tack" penalties. To answer your question as to why they reviewed Alex's goal, is because they could, and why not get it right if you have the TV cameras there to do so. Besides, Union may have requested it and all goals scored are reviewable.
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              All in all, it's a loss I can live with for a couple of reasons. First, easily the best show we've put against them this year. Second, it wasn't a knockout blow by any stretch of the imagination. It would be tough, but one can still see RPI, if they play the way they did last night two more times, coming away with a pair of Ws and moving on. Last night was more of a "Union won this round" type deal, but we got some good blows in at the end so we're ready for Round 2 regardless.
              +1
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                I would like our chances a whole lot better if we knew that we will get a fairly called game tonight(not saying at all that last night was as bad as we have seen). After putting a pretty good scare into the number 1 seed last night, it will be interesting to see if any changes in the offical crew are made. Will we see Kotyra? Murphy?
                OFFICIALS: Friday’s officials are Peter Feola and Chip McDonald (referees) and Jim Briggs and Richard Patry (linesmen) ... On Saturday, the referees are Bob Ritchie and Scott Whittemore ... The linesmen are Brad Leblanc and Joe Testa
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  I don't know how you can complain about the officiating last night! RPI averages 14 penalty minutes per game, so statistically, it was a below average night. I thought the officials missed a few calls both ways, and besides, a penalty is a penalty, regardless of what point of the game you are at. Your hatred towards Mr. Stewart is evident, which I think sometimes clouds your judgement of the officials.

I hardly think the officials screwed RPI last night. However, I will say that at times, they do call "ticky tack" penalties. To answer your question as to why they reviewed Alex's goal, is because they could, and why not get it right if you have the TV cameras there to do so. Besides, Union may have requested it and all goals scored are reviewable.
                  Which kool aid did you drink that Stewart and Hagwell gave you, the orange or the red?
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    OFFICIALS: Friday’s officials are Peter Feola and Chip McDonald (referees) and Jim Briggs and Richard Patry (linesmen) ... On Saturday, the referees are Bob Ritchie and Scott Whittemore ... The linesmen are Brad Leblanc and Joe Testa
                    If you need a ticket for Sunday email me and yes I believe there will be a Sunday.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Union is playing as well now as they were earlier in the year. Seth has RPI playing better. A better game plan. It appears they are chipping it in more and using their toughness and quickness below the hash marks. Earlier in the year they were forcing passes in the neutral zone and turning the puck over.

I thought that RPI played with or outplayed Union most of the game. A 5 to 10 minute lapse killed them

Running Merriam twice earlier? I would think you would have seen a little more anger from Seth or the Engineer players. Cooler heads, very good

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                        Union is playing as well now as they were earlier in the year. Seth has RPI playing better. A better game plan. It appears they are chipping it in more and using their toughness and quickness below the hash marks. Earlier in the year they were forcing passes in the neutral zone and turning the puck over.

I thought that RPI played with or outplayed Union most of the game. A 5 to 10 minute lapse killed them

Running Merriam twice earlier? I would think you would have seen a little more anger from Seth or the Engineer players. Cooler heads, very good
                        Voice of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          Which kool aid did you drink that Stewart and Hagwell gave you, the orange or the red?
                          Neither. It is pretty obvious in my opinion how you operate. You always seem to sit back and criticize when it comes to either of these two, or the officials for that matter. But that is the position they are in and are open to criticism. You're one to talk about drinking kool aid!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                            It appears they are chipping it in more and using their toughness and quickness below the hash marks. Earlier in the year they were forcing passes in the neutral zone and turning the puck over.
                            This looks like the only way we're going to get the puck deep against Union. They spent much of the game last night with 5 guys stacked between the blue lines.
                            APBWiki

Comment

Ticky tacky penalties in the Colgate game also!! Dell was there! Let em play FFS !!!
                              Last edited by sshablak; 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                                This looks like the only way we're going to get the puck deep against Union. They spent much of the game last night with 5 guys stacked between the blue lines.
                                I thought both teams at certain points of the game clogged up the neutral zone. I found RPI to be most effective at creating turnovers when they were playing real physical. Kudos to Goulet on the PK.....what a shot! Then Union got another PP and I was expecting another Ben Barr repeat!

Comment

Working...
                                X