RPI 2011-12 Part VI: Sweet Meteor of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part VI: Sweet Meteor of Death

One of my best friends on the FD down here is an owner at White Pine Camp and a Paul Smith's graduate, stayed there a couple times, very cool and historical. I had the chance to go to Smith's but chose elsewhere due to free tuition. One month of Fortran and Cobol @ Southern CT State was all I could stand. Fortunately I was appointed to the Fire Department the next year. Just made 31 years.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Ed Weaver's Thursday article Engineers view Union series as a road trip
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        We always felt we lived in the middle of nowhere in Blue Mt Lake. But then we took the ride up through Long Lake and then over to Newcomb and really saw where nowhere was located.
        I spent five years covering parishes in Hague, Chesterown & North Creek. I know that 8/9/28 corridor well. And as Doc wrote, beautiful place. One of my personal favorites, NY 8 five miles west of Hague village center, just west of North Pond, looking northwest into heart of Adirondacks... and there's always any summer/fall night sky. Don't forget NY 74, driving east into Ticonderoga... I always wondered just how fast a bobsled could go down that road in January.

For folks looking for quiet lake views (and little/no cellphone signal) the east side of Schroon Lake/town of Adirondack is seriously underrated.
        Last edited by fr joe; 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM.
        Here we come!

Comment

Excellent story in the TU about the band, and Luke Curadi (and babo!) sticking up for them at Clarkson.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...nd-3390188.php

EDIT: Clarkson sucks.
          Last edited by Red Cloud; 03-08-2012, 06:17 AM.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Excellent story in the TU about the band, and Luke Curadi (and babo!) sticking up for them at Clarkson.

Sweetness! It's a class group, and I'm glad to have been a part of it for a couple years.

In case people didn't see an article about the band 3 years ago on this site (about 1/3 of the way down the page): http://www.uscho.com/2009/03/12/this...march-12-2009/

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post

For folks looking for quiet lake views (and little/no cellphone signal) the east side of Schroon Lake/town of Adirondack is seriously underrated.
              A couple of years ago we got a cell tower at the top of Blue Mountain. Until then, there was no reception once we left Warrensburg and headed up 28 through Wevertown (blink and you miss it!), North Creek, North River and Indian Lake. Now we have pretty decent coverage at least around town near our house. I guess progress has finally reached the heart of the Adirondacks.
              Your comment about the town of Adirondack-always loved that east side of Schroon Lake. Used to make that turn by the Word of Life Camp and head up that east side. Had a part time job in a small little general store in Adirondack eons ago. I think I remember being paid 40¢ an hour(and was glad to get it). Loved taking a tiny boat with a small motor out on that lake-heading across to Scaroon Manor to try to pcik up girls (almost always unsuccessfully).
              Things are changing in that entire area-it is losing the rustic charm that was there for so long. But i have all those great memories of the area. Right now though, would trade a few of those memories for 2 solid road wins in Schenectady
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I don't think the band has much to worry about with Luke protecting them-If I got into a bar fight somewhere, I think I would want Luke on my side (along with my wife Jenny with her notorious Italian temper)

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                  After a Quebecois couple died along the Northway near Exit 29, they put a cell phone tower up at that location that all carriers are able to reach. However, if you don't have Verizon, your best bet for reception is to try to pick up a Burlington tower across the lake. Except for Verizon, there's no coverage in the 'dacks, still. Gosh darn APA.

Most of Essex County is underrated.

Comment

Great article. My first RPI hockey game was special because of the band. The made the HFH rock. They were enthusiastic and fun to watch and listen to. The games are not the same when they are not in the building.
                    The Curadi's are team players, and I am not surprised to hear them come out for part of the team.
                    Now lets go out and make Unions life miserable.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      After a Quebecois couple died along the Northway near Exit 29, they put a cell phone tower up at that location that all carriers are able to reach. However, if you don't have Verizon, your best bet for reception is to try to pick up a Burlington tower across the lake. Except for Verizon, there's no coverage in the 'dacks, still. Gosh darn APA.

Most of Essex County is underrated.
                      Not exactly true. While Verizon is still the best coverage, AT&T has also benefitted from the new towers they are installing in the I-87 cooridor - an effort which followed the high profile accidents/deaths. The plan is for several shorter towers to be installed along the northway to "daisy chain" cell signal from tower to tower along the interstate. In addition to these, the biggest improvement to come on line is the franken pine tower located behind the Neighborhood House in Keene - which has drastically improved coverage in the High Peaks. As part of the APA approvals, in an effort to minimize redundancy, the new towers are being shared by the providers so all of the companies are benefitting. I'm in the area several times a month for work and pleasure - and am able to test the system regularly as I have both Verizon and AT&T phones. The coverage is much better - but still has dark zones - the worst of which being north of Exit 30 in the Lewis/Willsboro stretch of I-87.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        Not exactly true. While Verizon is still the best coverage, AT&T has also benefitted from the new towers they are installing in the I-87 cooridor - an effort which followed the high profile accidents/deaths. The plan is for several shorter towers to be installed along the northway to "daisy chain" cell signal from tower to tower along the interstate. In addition to these, the biggest improvement to come on line is the franken pine tower located behind the Neighborhood House in Keene - which has drastically improved coverage in the High Peaks. As part of the APA approvals, in an effort to minimize redundancy, the new towers are being shared by the providers so all of the companies are benefitting. I'm in the area several times a month for work and pleasure - and am able to test the system regularly as I have both Verizon and AT&T phones. The coverage is much better - but still has dark zones - the worst of which being north of Exit 30 in the Lewis/Willsboro stretch of I-87.
                        I'm well aware, as I grew up in one of those "dark zones" not too far from Exit 31 (although I could travel a few miles down the road and hit Burlington). Since I have TracFone, my coverage runs off AT&T, but the company does have an agreement for telephones bought in that area for primary service in that area that Verizon allows usage from their towers. However, since my number is based out of Troy, my telephone does not work from the town's tower.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

RPI Athletics' take, including game notes and a picture of Johnny Rogic's "superman" from last year: http://rpiathletics.com/news/2012/3/...308124158.aspx

Comment

Story on Merriam: http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...-bryce-merriam

I believe it's now 7 years since a dessert course.

Comment

Friday's officials are Peter Feola and Chip McDonald (referees) and Jim Briggs and Richard Patry (linesmen) ... On Saturday, the referees are Bob Ritchie and Scott Whittemore ... The linesmen are Brad Leblanc and Joe Testa.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                I am not exactly sure-but i think the tower on top of Blue Mountain which has been up there for over 5 years is AT&T. Coverage around us is still incredibly spotty as one would suspect with most of the peaks at 3500 feet or higher and roads winding through much lower. I am a novice at this kind of stuff so i am not sure what towers allow you to connect to them. For example, Audi uses T-Mobile as its internet connection and i wonder if that would allow connection to the verizon or AT&T towers up in the Adirondacks?

Comment

Working...
                                X