Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part VI: Sweet Meteor of Death

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Did you at least keep the out of state plates so you don't get any demerit points?

When I'm on those roads I don't set the cruise control because it's more gas efficient to hyper-mile the hills (and since I can barely get a tank out of a trip there, I need every ounce I can spare).
    Nope, I've had a NYS license and plates since early '08. I've only had one ticket that resulted in 2 points, the couple others were reduced to violations essentially by showing up to court and being the only person not dressed in torn jeans and a ratty t-shirt.
    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
      You are bringing back memories for me Doc. My brother graduated from Paul Smiths and I took that same drive to bring him back and forth to school during the winters of '83 and '84. Slow in the snow but very little police presence! Had a vacation in Blue Mountain lake about 5 years ago. Lots of interesting history there with Edison and the robber barons!
      Our house is built on the property where the old Blue Mt Hotel was that Edison wired for electricity. When we first bought up there we had no knowledge of the families that owned all the property around us-the Durants, The Vanderbilts, Marjorie post, etc. Truly the area was the campground for the elite. If you have the time, make sure to visit the Adirondack Museum on Blue Mt Lake. Wonderful exhibits and a great way to learn the history of the region.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
        The supercomputer behind playoffstatus.com has given RPI a 6% chance of getting by Union, and a 1% chance of winning the marbles. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...easonprob.html
        I tend to view playoffstatus as a little too smoke-and-mirrors for my taste. I'd recommend burgie's excellent thread on the odds which utilize KRACH and Bradley-Terry rankings to come up with the chances for each team.
        APBWiki

Comment

You obviously didn't spend much time on NY 30, or times have changed. Nowadays they crawl ALL OVER that road.
          Someone told me that the NYSP receives some homeland security funding for operations within 100 miles of the border...this might explain their increased presence in the north country (either way, there's no denying it).
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

You obviously didn't spend much time on NY 30, or times have changed. Nowadays they crawl ALL OVER that road.
            We have had a home in the Adirondacks for a very long time. The roads were never patroled. You could wait for ever to see a State Police car and there was virtually no local police in any of the towns and we rarely had to even look at the speedometer. As you mention-that has all changed. We still cruise the roads up there at decent speed but not without a decent radar detector. In all the years I have only been stopped twice. Once in a fully loaded Suburban doling less than the speed limit between North Creek and Indian lake (an area we call the flats) where they love to set up radar traps that you cannot possibly see(and the truck had NJ plates on it). And once in my 911 absolutely flying on the road up to Tupper from Long Lake. I deserved a ticket but the State Police officer was very understanding when he realized i was rushing a neighbor up to Saranac Hospital as a medical emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Someone told me that the NYSP receives some homeland security funding for operations within 100 miles of the border...this might explain their increased presence in the north country (either way, there's no denying it).
              They used that money to set up border patrol checkpoints along NY 30 (maybe? not sure) and I-87 definitely (also a backup on US 9 in case "smart" Canadians decided to try to avoid the border patrol). Obviously the money per year is then used to operate the checkpoints in certain days out of the year.

I think the main reason they started patrolling NY 30 more is because it's a very wide well-kept road where people would easily want to go over the state speed limit of 55.
              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I think the main reason they started patrolling NY 30 more is because it's a very wide well-kept road where people would easily want to go over the state speed limit of 55.
                Very true-there are lots of sections where you feel like the song "I Can't Drive 55" but what keeps you grounded is that you just do not want to hit an animal at those speeds (I don't really ever want to hit one).

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Very true-there are lots of sections where you feel like the song "I Can't Drive 55" but what keeps you grounded is that you just do not want to hit an animal at those speeds (I don't really ever want to hit one).
                  I don't think any of the younger posters will understand the meaning behind that song (despite that I qualify as part of that group, I do know our country's motor vehicle history). But you're right, hitting a deer isn't fun, even if you just nick it and it takes out your headlight.
                  Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

RIP Nathan Marsters.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      RIP Nathan Marsters.
                      Exactly RB-At any decent rate of speed, you just do not want to hit anything. RIP Nate

Comment

So after all of this, does anyone know if the team is staying out of town? I can't see the Union approving the expense although it does make sense.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They used that money to set up border patrol checkpoints along NY 30 (maybe? not sure) and I-87 definitely (also a backup on US 9 in case "smart" Canadians decided to try to avoid the border patrol). Obviously the money per year is then used to operate the checkpoints in certain days out of the year.

No, I was referrring to federal monies allocated to state and county law enforcement agencies whose patrol areas fall within 100 miles of the us border. The I-87 checkpointsyou refer to are operated by ICE when their budget allows. The NYSP will on occasion assist in this effort with manpower, dogs, etc.

There has never been a larger police presence in northern NY, and its isn't because people like to drive fast on Rte. 30. (Think drug runners and Homeland Security). But I will return to hockey thoughts now, before I am reprimanded by RB.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

The locals don't call it "PotsBlam" for nothin'...

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              But I will return to hockey thoughts now, before I am reprimanded by RB.
                              Is there a game?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Is there a game?
                                I don't see a thread in the Scores section yet, so I'm guessing no.

Comment

Working...
                                X