X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: College Hockey: By the Decade

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    If you have extra time (and the data) you should swap out the 1999-2000 season for the 1989-1990 season in your formula and see how it stacks up with the CHW formula.
    Don't have the 1989-90 stats and I'm too lazy to look them up

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

CHW's Top 13 from the 1990s (where they are on Priceless' list in parenthesis)
    1. Maine (3)
    2. Michigan (1)
    3. LSSU (4)
    4. BU (2)
    5. Wisconsin (11)
    6. North Dakota (5)
    7. Northern Michigan (13)
    8. BC (10)
    9. Minnesota (7)
    10. Michigan State (6)
    11. Clarkson (9)
    12. New Hampshire (8)
    13. Colorado College (12)
    You guys need to learn how to cook the stew. The UND guy likes the Mainer's list, and the Mainuh likes the UND guy's list.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    The main reason for the differences are that I used 1991-2000 and CHW used 1990-1999. That adds a national title for Wisconsin (1990) and subtracts the UND national title in 2000. Northern Michigan is a unique case because they switched conference affiliations.
    If you have extra time (and the data) you should swap out the 1999-2000 season for the 1989-1990 season in your formula and see how it stacks up with the CHW formula.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Very interesting. It certainly is surprising how different Wisconsin (and NMU) was on the two lists, especially when the two formulas (CHW uses a formula to determine their "Best Programs" of the decade lists) are actually very similar. It must be that the two formulas weighed things differently. The rest of the teams, for the most part, are in similar ranges, and each formula generates the same "Top 13."

CHW's Top 13 from the 1990s (where they are on your list in parenthesis)
    1. Maine (3)
    2. Michigan (1)
    3. LSSU (4)
    4. BU (2)
    5. Wisconsin (11)
    6. North Dakota (5)
    8. BC (10)
    9. Minnesota (7)
    10. Michigan State (6)
    11. Clarkson (9)
    12. New Hampshire (8)
    The main reason for the differences are that I used 1991-2000 and CHW used 1990-1999. That adds a national title for Wisconsin (1990) and subtracts the UND national title in 2000. Northern Michigan is a unique case because they switched conference affiliations.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Very much. Primarily conference and record vs top 10. Success in the NCAA tournament was paramount. You can find the formula and the list here. That thread also has the top programs of the 2000s. The formula and the 1990s list are found near the very end of the thread.
    Very interesting. It certainly is surprising how different Wisconsin (and NMU) was on the two lists, especially when the two formulas (CHW uses a formula to determine their "Best Programs" of the decade lists) are actually very similar. It must be that the two formulas weighed things differently. The rest of the teams, for the most part, are in similar ranges, and each formula generates the same "Top 13."

CHW's Top 13 from the 1990s (where they are on your list in parenthesis)
    1. Maine (3)
    2. Michigan (1)
    3. LSSU (4)
    4. BU (2)
    5. Wisconsin (11)
    6. North Dakota (5)
    8. BC (10)
    9. Minnesota (7)
    10. Michigan State (6)
    11. Clarkson (9)
    12. New Hampshire (8)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Interesting. Was there a strength of schedule component/weighting/factor involved?
    Very much. Primarily conference and record vs top 10. Success in the NCAA tournament was paramount. You can find the formula and the list here. That thread also has the top programs of the 2000s. The formula and the 1990s list are found near the very end of the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

My list ignored NCAA violations.
    Interesting. Was there a strength of schedule component/weighting/factor involved?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How did you treat Wisconsin's NCAA violations?
    My list ignored NCAA violations.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Wow is Wisconsin rated high on that list!
    How did you treat Wisconsin's NCAA violations?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

College Hockey Weekly has put out the Best Programs of the 1990s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...-Programs.html
    Wow is Wisconsin rated high on that list!

My list was
    #1 Michigan Wolverines
    #2 Boston University Terriers
    #3 Maine Black Bears
    #4 Lake Superior State Lakers
    #5 North Dakota Fighting Sioux
    #6 Michigan State Spartans
    #7 Minnesota Golden Gophers
    #8 New Hampshire Wildcats
    #9 Clarkson Golden Knights
    #10 Boston College Eagles
    #11 Wisconsin Badgers
    ETA: Ah, and now I see why. That list is 1990-1999 and I did 1991-2000, so it did not include Wisconsin's national title in 1990. It also accounts for LSSU's higher winning percentage.

The 1993 Frozen Four remains the only that featured all four of the top teams. That FF was amazing.
    Last edited by Priceless; 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

College Hockey Weekly has put out the Best Programs of the 1990s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...-Programs.html

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by ski View Post
    Reading through some of your posts, I assumed as much but thanks for the clarification. I do enjoy the site and the lists you guys come up with. You guys do a nice job. Pass it on.
    Thank you. I will let them know. You can always email them as well at editor@collegehockeyweekly.com

Leave a comment:

• ski
    replied

I contribute to the site (basically that means that I get a vote on things, and am on the weekly conference call, along with a few other things). A group of friends of mine actually run and maintain the site. One of them usually writes the articles. I sometimes help with research, and I wrote the articles (and came up with the formula) for the "Greatest Teams" thread. I would love to do more, but I teach and I'm in law school right now, and that takes up the majority of my time. At one point there was talk that they would bring me on as an editor and have me write a weekly piece called "23s Take." I declined for two main reasons: 1) I don't think many people would care about my opinions, as it would probably focus more on western hockey than college hockey in general, and 2) I just don't have 5ish extra hours in a week to write an article.
    Reading through some of your posts, I assumed as much but thanks for the clarification. I do enjoy the site and the lists you guys come up with. You guys do a nice job. Pass it on.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Man, some of these career point totals are staggering from these guys in the 90s.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by ski View Post
    Good stuff.

FS23, what's your relationhip to this site? Is it yours? You write this stuff?
    I contribute to the site (basically that means that I get a vote on things, and am on the weekly conference call, along with a few other things). A group of friends of mine actually run and maintain the site. One of them usually writes the articles. I sometimes help with research, and I wrote the articles (and came up with the formula) for the "Greatest Teams" thread. I would love to do more, but I teach and I'm in law school right now, and that takes up the majority of my time. At one point there was talk that they would bring me on as an editor and have me write a weekly piece called "23s Take." I declined for two main reasons: 1) I don't think many people would care about my opinions, as it would probably focus more on western hockey than college hockey in general, and 2) I just don't have 5ish extra hours in a week to write an article.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X