Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

What happened on those two face-offs near the end? Chiasson won both of them, but not very strongly. I would expect the right play is for the closest point man to come get the puck. Both times, Clendening (I think) did not charge the puck, and we blew two great chances to set up a play with the goalie pulled. Frustrating.

I swear that in one of those two 2002 playoff losses to Maine (HE Playfofs or NCAA's, don't remember which), twice we won faceoffs cleanly but split our pointmen and the puck went out of the zone killing chances of setting up a play with the goalie pulled.

Must be some kind of hex when we play Maine.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Was noonan on the one where 5 had to take the penalty. I believe my audible yell of "Move Your ***!" was heard a few houses over-- but not by 13
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
        I only got to see the first 18 minutes. They had their chances, 3-4 I remember from the first period alone. I ffwd through the rest when I came home from dinner.
        Not sure what you were watching in the first 18 minutes. They had a few break in opportunities but BU was dominated by Maine for the whole period. BU had 6 shots on net.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
          Dumb question - doesn't BU normally start over on the helmet paws with the hockey quarters or am I super mistaken and the startover is normally for NCAAs?
          Yes "super" dumb question, who gives a crap about paws on the helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Chickod, BU hasn't had consistent success over the past 10 plus years...perhaps that's the problem in regard to lack of fan support. Apathy? Anyway, I'm sure it will be the same way in the final. Will feel like a home game for maine.
            There will be MORE Maine fans there tonight. I saw tons of people on their cell phones as I was leaving telling their friends they were looking for more tickets (I promptly sold mine).

I hear you, but I'm going way back to when Parker took over in 1973. Three national championships ('78, '95, '09) and consistently high positions in the league. Have they had the success that BC has had? No...but it's not like they've been out of the playoffs much (or even the NCAA picture). They've come up short in some big games lately, but I have to give this team a pass...they were down to bare bones. I thought they played hard last night, although apparently some on this thread don't agree. I didn't say "smart" or that they did all the right things. But the guy (on the game thread) who said they have tons of talent but don't play "together" may have hit the nail on the head (he said the forward and defensemen were "disconnected"). But none of this, in my mind, expalins the deal with the fans. If it's your team, you go and cheer for them, win or lose (emphasis on the word "CHEER" - not sit there like a cadaver). If you've ever played sports, it's hard to play when you are overwhemlmingly outnumbered in support. This thing about they play better with "adversity" is a bunch of crap. Yeah, they had a better road record, but that's typically an anomaly. It might work for a while, but most programs are much better with consistent support. It's demoralizing to walk into a place like last night when the fans from a school 200 miles away outnumber you 4 to 1.

But again, this is academia. It's not Wisconsin or USC. So I guess I shouldn't expect more... we don't even have football. Even Fitchburg State has football. That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
              Not sure what you were watching in the first 18 minutes. They had a few break in opportunities but BU was dominated by Maine for the whole period. BU had 6 shots on net.
              Well, hang on there. Whoever the idiot was on the shot clock was WAY OFF all night. In the BC game, I looked up at the START of the second period and shots were 11 apiece. With eight minutes left in the period, they were still 11 apiece. There's no way we only had 6 shots in the first period (and I'll go back and watch the tape if I have to). It said "13 to 6" after the first period. They weren't even registering the shots real time. At the end of the game it said 49 - 31 Maine. In the game story last night on http://www.hockeyeastonline.com it said that Millan was one save short of 40 (that would make 39 saves and 5 goals for 44 shots). And I wouldn't say they were "dominated" by any stretch. We were sitting at that end and BU was buzzing all around the Maine net for a good part of the period. As the game went on, our pressure waned, but not in the first 18 minutes. Wrong. And that's why I said I have to give them a pass. We're all disappointed they lost, but they just don't have any depth and were exhausted by the end of the game. All of the people who were saying, "The team is BETTER without Coyle and Trivino" probably aren't saying that now, huh?

Comment

^^^ it seemed like every ten minutes or so they would update the SOG totals in the BC-PC game, i noticed it too. Weird, it is usually done in real time or close to it. What's up with the filthy nets again like we had in the Beanpot? reminded me of the old days in the old Garden

Comment

alright... if harvard and sioux win (and others go as expected)...

bc - afa // duluth - bu (worcester)
                  michigan - hu // gophs - umo (st paul)
                  sioux - sparty // bueller - denver (green bay)
                  miami - cornell // union - chiefs (bridgeport)

if union and sioux win, worcester stays the same.
                  if union and denver win, same.
                  if harvard and denver win, bu falls from 9 to 10 (and gophs move up to 9 while duluth stays at 8). this will cause some flipping to be done but i'd guess worcester stays the same.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                    ^^^ it seemed like every ten minutes or so they would update the SOG totals in the BC-PC game, i noticed it too. Weird, it is usually done in real time or close to it. What's up with the filthy nets again like we had in the Beanpot? reminded me of the old days in the old Garden
                    those white nets will be used this afternoon.. then the black ones return tonight.

if the hea commissioner had a nad, he'd move to providence. f jacobs. that is horsechit they can let the college teams use the good nets (beanpot had the practice nets too)

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      alright... if harvard and sioux win (and others go as expected)...

bc - afa // duluth - bu (worcester)
                      michigan - hu // gophs - umo (st paul)
                      sioux - sparty // bueller - denver (green bay)
                      miami - cornell // union - chiefs (bridgeport)

if union and sioux win, worcester stays the same.
                      if union and denver win, same.
                      if harvard and denver win, bu falls from 9 to 10 (and gophs move up to 9 while duluth stays at 8). this will cause some flipping to be done but i'd guess worcester stays the same.
                      In your Union and Sioux win scenario, I think BU would actually be in St. Paul. You'd have UMD 7, Minnesota 8, BU 9, Maine 10. In that scenario, I think they'd keep 8 vs. 9 and 7 vs. 10, so it would be Minnesota-BU in St. Paul and UMD-Maine in Worcester.
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Just turned on the NESN broadcast that I recorded last night. They asked Parker what BU needed to do to win. He said, be careful about penalities and do a good job penalty killing. And don't turn the puck over. How did that work out? THAT'S why we lost the game...you can't beat anybody when you give up 4 power play goals...and the defensmen were bad again at the blue line...
                        Last edited by chickod; 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                          I'm sure Millan would like a couple of those back as well.
                          I am not a Millan fan but I completely disagree. I don't fault him for any of the goals last night.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            Well, hang on there. Whoever the idiot was on the shot clock was WAY OFF all night. In the BC game, I looked up at the START of the second period and shots were 11 apiece. With eight minutes left in the period, they were still 11 apiece. There's no way we only had 6 shots in the first period (and I'll go back and watch the tape if I have to). It said "13 to 6" after the first period. They weren't even registering the shots real time. At the end of the game it said 49 - 31 Maine. In the game story last night on http://www.hockeyeastonline.com it said that Millan was one save short of 40 (that would make 39 saves and 5 goals for 44 shots). And I wouldn't say they were "dominated" by any stretch. We were sitting at that end and BU was buzzing all around the Maine net for a good part of the period. As the game went on, our pressure waned, but not in the first 18 minutes. Wrong. And that's why I said I have to give them a pass. We're all disappointed they lost, but they just don't have any depth and were exhausted by the end of the game. All of the people who were saying, "The team is BETTER without Coyle and Trivino" probably aren't saying that now, huh?
                            My opinion is we were done in by issues that have been there all year: 1. Inability to finish off good scoring chances; 2. turnovers, 3. penalties, and 4. we seemed to be over relying on Kieran Millan to deliver us to the promised land.

Did it appear to people as it did to me that we were collapsing into our goaltender and thus creating problems for ourselves?I thought we could have done a better job had we played a more aggressive defense.

I don't understand brackets, tucs etc but I can't imagine us being in Worcester for NCAA. Of course I have been wrong before.

The 3 losses to Maine this year were concluded with empty net goals by Maine

Hopefully Spencer Abbott will be OK, The hit was at the far end from me and I didn't see a replay. There is a shot in the Globe of Abbott down and Sean Escobedo adjacent to him. How would Brendan Shanahan rule?

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                              Yup on both counts.

The nets were disgusting again. First noticed it at the Beanpot and assumed they were the warmup nets and would be replaced for the game guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                What happened on those two face-offs near the end? Chiasson won both of them, but not very strongly. I would expect the right play is for the closest point man to come get the puck. Both times, Clendening (I think) did not charge the puck, and we blew two great chances to set up a play with the goalie pulled. Frustrating.

I swear that in one of those two 2002 playoff losses to Maine (HE Playfofs or NCAA's, don't remember which), twice we won faceoffs cleanly but split our pointmen and the puck went out of the zone killing chances of setting up a play with the goalie pulled.

Must be some kind of hex when we play Maine.
                                That was in Worcester. And it may have been three faceoffs where that happened.
                                Go BU!

Comment

Working...
                                X