Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D.
    replied
    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

I never buy the lack of hunger excuse. It's an easy cop out. These are college kids...they all want it. They don't wanna lose to rivals on the big stage. BU consistently gets top talent. It's meshing as a team and playing well at the right time that has elluded them. The players change, so I think you have to look at the one constant. He had his typical postgame remarks as well. I don't know how the players and you fans put up with it. It would drive me crazy.

Speaking of parker, I can see him doing a facepalm after watching gaudet on that first maine goal. I've never seen anything quite like that.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by mwade View Post
    In the past they've used the 'real' nets for the games and practice nets for warmups for the first game at least (second game depending on timing), but this year, they haven't used the Bruins nets at all. Don't know what prompted the change in policy, but it isn't a timing or lazy thing.
    Cheap bastid Jacobs!! DAMMIT!!!

Leave a comment:

• mwade
    replied
    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    Yup on both counts.

The nets were disgusting again. First noticed it at the Beanpot and assumed they were the warmup nets and would be replaced for the game guess not.
    In the past they've used the 'real' nets for the games and practice nets for warmups for the first game at least (second game depending on timing), but this year, they haven't used the Bruins nets at all. Don't know what prompted the change in policy, but it isn't a timing or lazy thing.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Chickod, BU hasn't had consistent success over the past 10 plus years...perhaps that's the problem in regard to lack of fan support. Apathy? Anyway, I'm sure it will be the same way in the final. Will feel like a home game for maine.

And when I say success, it hasn't been the success you all expect.
    I don't know about the apathy due to lack of consistent success... but even in the 90's Maine would outdraw BU and other teams to these games. They have always traveled very well.

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

I don't follow BU that closely, so take it with a grain of salt.

Just beware of turnover in the coaching staff. BC hiring York and improving dramatically right away is an exception to the rule. Turnover in a program can be rough.

Leave a comment:

• carltonbarrett
    replied

You'd have to think that with Trivino, Coyle and Nicastro in the line, things could have been different. BU's lower level guys saw too much ice time and at the same time, the top guys were gassed by the 3rd period.

Leave a comment:

• chickod
    replied

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    I hate to say this, but I will anyway...I just don't expect BU to win these games anymore. I don't invest as much emotional energy into BU Hockey as I once did, but when you've seen the script play out in the same manner over the past 15 years, you can't expect any surprises.
    Well, of course, everything you say is correct. And when I responded to JD by saying that the program has had consistent "success," I guess I conveniently left out the fact that those last 30 years have been skewed - most of the success was in the first 15 years and not much in the last 15, as you have said. On the other hand, and this is difficult for the "younger" fans to understand (and not to get philosophical), is that over time everything evens out. BU was not going to win these games forever, just as the Canadiens weren't going to win forever. Things go in cycles, and although you have to look at things in the present, I just think that there are things beyond our control. I think that, for whatever reason, BU just doesn't seem as hungry in these games. Their reputation precedes them, and it's interesting when you say you just don't expect BU to win these games anymore, because I think the players DO think they will (and that's part of the problem) - almost as if when they pull on the sweater it gives them some kind of advantage. If that's the case, it's the wrong attitude. And I still think they have as much talent as most teams. Yes, the defense was terrible last night, but they had MANY chances to win this game (and I have to throw in there, what about O'Neill tripping Gill right in front of us in the last minute or so when he was rushing in to potentially bury a rebound that would have tied the game?). Breaks even out too. We might have gotten that call 15 years ago. And it's not like the old days, where we got all the good talent because there were fewer schools that played D1 hockey. That's why we have players from all over the continent...but there are more schools with good programs now competing for that talent. It's just not that easy...

Leave a comment:

• buoldtimer
    replied

I hate to say this, but I will anyway...I just don't expect BU to win these games anymore. I don't invest as much emotional energy into BU Hockey as I once did, but when you've seen the script play out in the same manner over the past 15 years, you can't expect any surprises. Prior to 1998, I always expected BU to win a game such as last night's.

With that said, one man's opinion...

1. Rodrigues, sheesh! He missed a wide-open net against UNH last Sunday, also.

2. Penalties. The team has taken bad penalties for several years, now. Despite what JP says, if it's gone on this long, it's his responsibility.

3. The thought of Adam Clendening playing defense at a level higher and faster than D1 is hilarious. It's the exception when he wins a one-on-one battle for the puck, not the rule. He's so easy to knock off the puck.

4. Did someone lock Craig Janney in a donut shop?

Leave a comment:

• chickod
    replied

Originally posted by kbz View Post
    I am not a Millan fan but I completely disagree. I don't fault him for any of the goals last night.
    Agreed...I wonder which ones he thinks he would "like to have back?" The one where Gaudet dove and PUSHED HIM INTO THE NET with the puck? How about the one that rung off the goalpost and in? Or the one where he was screened by six players and never saw?

I watched the rest of the tape. I counted twelve times where a BU guy SKATED AFTER a Maine player to give him a little shove or punch or stick AFTER the whistle. It's happened all year and it has never been corrected. This team is UNDISCIPLINED. They lost this game for three reasons: penalites...penalties...penalties...

Leave a comment:

• Bomber
    replied

Confession. This loss hurts more than I thought it would. I really wanted to see them beat Maine. And I wanted a chance to win a trophy.

Go Black Bears!

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by blackbearsfan45 View Post
    How would Shanahan rule? He'd probably suspend both of them!
    diamond would have gotten it for the hit after

Leave a comment:

• blackbearsfan45
    replied

Originally posted by CDRAL View Post
    My opinion is we were done in by issues that have been there all year: 1. Inability to finish off good scoring chances; 2. turnovers, 3. penalties, and 4. we seemed to be over relying on Kieran Millan to deliver us to the promised land.

Did it appear to people as it did to me that we were collapsing into our goaltender and thus creating problems for ourselves?I thought we could have done a better job had we played a more aggressive defense.

I don't understand brackets, tucs etc but I can't imagine us being in Worcester for NCAA. Of course I have been wrong before.

The 3 losses to Maine this year were concluded with empty net goals by Maine

Hopefully Spencer Abbott will be OK, The hit was at the far end from me and I didn't see a replay. There is a shot in the Globe of Abbott down and Sean Escobedo adjacent to him. How would Brendan Shanahan rule?
    How would Shanahan rule? He'd probably suspend both of them!

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    In your Union and Sioux win scenario, I think BU would actually be in St. Paul. You'd have UMD 7, Minnesota 8, BU 9, Maine 10. In that scenario, I think they'd keep 8 vs. 9 and 7 vs. 10, so it would be Minnesota-BU in St. Paul and UMD-Maine in Worcester.
    or... i could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• smyler3
    replied

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    What happened on those two face-offs near the end? Chiasson won both of them, but not very strongly. I would expect the right play is for the closest point man to come get the puck. Both times, Clendening (I think) did not charge the puck, and we blew two great chances to set up a play with the goalie pulled. Frustrating.

I swear that in one of those two 2002 playoff losses to Maine (HE Playfofs or NCAA's, don't remember which), twice we won faceoffs cleanly but split our pointmen and the puck went out of the zone killing chances of setting up a play with the goalie pulled.

Must be some kind of hex when we play Maine.
    That was in Worcester. And it may have been three faceoffs where that happened.

Leave a comment:

• claver2010
    replied

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    ^^^ it seemed like every ten minutes or so they would update the SOG totals in the BC-PC game, i noticed it too. Weird, it is usually done in real time or close to it. What's up with the filthy nets again like we had in the Beanpot? reminded me of the old days in the old Garden
    Yup on both counts.

The nets were disgusting again. First noticed it at the Beanpot and assumed they were the warmup nets and would be replaced for the game guess not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X