X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things DU XXV - Murray Up and Get The Chevy Out of The Repair Shop

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    I did see it, it happened very close to where I sit. I have it on my DVR and have watched it over and over, even in slow motion. LaFranchise came across the ice laterally, he bent over and Wiercioch flipped right over LaFranchise's HIP, as far as I can see there was no knee involved.

My husband thought it was a knee initially (at the game) but after watching the replay he now thinks it was a clean hip check. Opposing fans are never going to agree on hits like this, and it really does no good to argue it over and over. The fact is, he continued to play and skated just fine. Watching him, there was no indication of him being injured in the least.
    Well, good to hear that it wasn't a dirty play. We DU fans are a little touchy on potential knee to knee hits after losing Bozak last year.

Dave: you're right. I can't even aspire to Mr. Baer's impressive post count. Some people are just on a different level, and I'll have to be content with my 3K status.

Comment

In other news, the Pioneer women's soccer team will play in the NCAA tourney again, and await their bracket assignment, which will be announced on ESPNNews at about 6 pm MT today.

Most of the amateur poster 'bracketologists' on the Big Soccer.com forum are predicting that DU is likely to be sent to the Portland (Ore.) regional to probably face Oregon State, and should they get by the Beavers, they would play the winner of top-seeded Portland and Boise State to advance. DU lost to OSU already this year in Corvalis, so revenge will be on the docket....

DU's RPI is about #66 out of 300+ teams.

Also, one of the DU soccer players, Emily Stewart, is the daughter of former Pioneer hockey forward Bill Stewart, who was a good forward on the high scoring DU teams of the very early 80s:
      http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...&Q_SEASON=2009
      Last edited by Puck Swami; 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

All of the analysis has been right on. In my case, I've kinda boiled it down to one question: watching UAA get three goals in two minutes or whatever it was, I asked myself: weren't we the ones who were supposed to be doing that?
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
          Dave: you're right. I can't even aspire to Mr. Baer's impressive post count. Some people are just on a different level, and I'll have to be content with my 3K status.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            Since it was a clipping penalty, it doesn't matter what part of LaFranchise hit Wiercioch; it just matters where he hit Wiercioch. If it was below the waist(which I'm guessing it might be if he flipped), then it's a penalty.

It sounds like UAA could really use a lesson on how to hit people in the torso.
            It was called clipping, and changed to kneeing. It was neither, it was a great hip check.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              All of the analysis has been right on. In my case, I've kinda boiled it down to one question: watching UAA get three goals in two minutes or whatever it was, I asked myself: weren't we the ones who were supposed to be doing that?
              There were several DU defensemen who simply didn't show up on Saturday night. I will repost what I put in the Wisconsin/UAA thread:

It was interesting to watch what happened just before the LaFranchise penalty. Leinweber was behind Salazar, he touched him with his stick, took his stick away, and Salazar went down like a sack of potatoes. I don't ever want to hear DU fans talk about Clark taking dives, because Salazars performance was worthy of an Oscar.

One thing that DU needs to brush up on is their defense. UAA's 6th and 7th goals were scored by UAA getting past TWO defensemen and taking the puck to the net. Wiles got past Wrenn and Lee, and Lunden got past Donovan and Colborne. Wrenn didn't make a big impression on the home town fans. He was a huge liability for DU, taking two penalties each night.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                Forget the Saturday night issues. Forget the goaltending problems.

This is a team that has trailed in every game its played this season except for Chevy's three shutouts against Ohio State & Minnesota (2). To me this is the real problem. These guys don't start playing until they are trailing by two goals. I guess the good news is that they are talented enough to stage comebacks, but its getting ridiculous.

Vermont - Trailed 1-3. Won 5-4
                Vermont - Trailed 3-5. Lost 4-6

Ohio State - Won 2-0
                Ohio State - Lost 0-4
                Minnesota - Won 3-0
                Minnesota - Won 3-0
                MSU-M - Trailed 1-2. Won 4-3
                MSU-M - Trailed 0-2. Tied 4-4
                UAA - Trailed 0-1. Won 3-2
                UAA - Trailed 2-6. Lost 3-7

Comment

If there is a "star" of DU's impressive freshmen class so far, it has definitely been Donovan. The others will be very good players, too. But as is alluded to below, I think guys like Wrenn and Murray have been thrown into the fire a little too quickly. They're definitely still adjusting to the college game, and Gwoz has not shirked from giving them big responsibilities in the meantime. This could pay dividends as the season progresses, but for now we will struggle a bit until they get up to speed.

I was just thinking, for all the doom and gloom from us DU fans, we should remember that we're what, 6-3-1? Not a horrible record for a team that is still finding its way, with 2 of its stars hampered by injuries, and guys like Maiani and Salazar who really haven't even started playing real hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Forget the Saturday night issues. Forget the goaltending problems.

This is a team that has trailed in every game its played this season except for Chevy's three shutouts against Ohio State & Minnesota (2). To me this is the real problem. These guys don't start playing until they are trailing by two goals. I guess the good news is that they are talented enough to stage comebacks, but its getting ridiculous.
                    Good points.

As the more talented team than most of the teams they've played, the propensity for DU to trail early in games is often due to horrendous early goalie play ('Glenn Fisher Deflating Softie Syndrome'). DU has also been slow to score goals early which seems to be more of a motivational issue. Both areas need to be rectified.

Comment

I think we need to get more Physical, put Gifford on first line with Rett and Tyler. go in the corners and muscle up. Is Colborne Healthy enough to take faceoffs yet. if so put him on line two, have Shore center line three and put a physical player with two finess players on three even lines instead of six finesse players on the two first lines especailly against ND. they will be out to crunch all our little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJUq42Nzk1o

Video made by our comrade - ACHSDU17
                        Aren't rivalries great? They get the blood flowing, they raise the level of play on the ice, and the level of sound in which the game is played.

And they override reason with emotion. Take this video as Exhibit #1, where a Denver Pioneers fan compares his own coach with Colonel Nathan R. Jessup. Yes, that murderous, raving lunatic. Yes, that Colonel who chooses which rules to abide by and which he can ignore. Yes, that Colonel who lied through his teeth about the truth. Now, if it were my coach, I wouldn't want that comparison made.

But hey, its your video. Whatever fires you up.

Aren't rivalries great?

P.S. My compliments on the video. Very professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                          Aren't rivalries great? They get the blood flowing, they raise the level of play on the ice, and the level of sound in which the game is played.

And they override reason with emotion. Take this video as Exhibit #1, where a Denver Pioneers fan compares his own coach with Colonel Nathan R. Jessup. Yes, that murderous, raving lunatic. Yes, that Colonel who chooses which rules to abide by and which he can ignore. Yes, that Colonel who lied through his teeth about the truth. Now, if it were my coach, I wouldn't want that comparison made.

But hey, its your video. Whatever fires you up.

Aren't rivalries great?

P.S. My compliments on the video. Very professional.
                          Jessup was fictional, and we need all the help we can get. Without the DU students in the building (they will be in final exams, and there are no student tickets for this series), this is going to sound like a North Dakota home series, as there are thousands of North Dakotans who have escaped to live in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            Jessup was fictional, and we need all the help we can get. Without the DU students in the building (they will be in final exams, and there are no student tickets for this series), this is going to sound like a North Dakota home series, as there are thousands of North Dakotans who have escaped to live in Denver.

Any chance that one of Rakhshani's finals is scheduled for the evening of Friday the 20th?

That said ... Gwozdecky always finds a way to push the right buttons when the Pioneers play the Sioux. I'm hoping the injury bug stays away from UND for a while (its not contagious is it?) and that DU has a full complement; its more fun that way. Mr Fixit indeed. Or maybe Ty and the gang can do an Extreme Hockey Team Makeover.

For the record, the reason all those North Dakotans move to the Front Range is that its easier to get Sioux tickets there...

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              Since it was a clipping penalty, it doesn't matter what part of LaFranchise hit Wiercioch; it just matters where he hit Wiercioch. If it was below the waist(which I'm guessing it might be if he flipped), then it's a penalty.

It sounds like UAA could really use a lesson on how to hit people in the torso.
                              Kane Lafranchise, whistled for “clipping” Saturday in Anchorage is the player I mentally “adopted” when Mark Smith was done in 07. I’ve watched him more than any other D-man on UAA. His game is not cheap. He play in 33 of UAA’s 36 games as a freshman, with 3 goals (1 PP) and 5 assists good for 12th place on UAA’s season scoring list, and was whistled for 4 penalties totaling 8 minutes. Last season in 31 games (out for 2 series before the Christmas break), he was 10th in scoring with 3 (1 PP)-7-10 and was assessed 7 trips to the box for 25 minutes. IIR that included a 5 minute checking from behind and the accompanying DQ.

This year, playing in UAA’s first 10 games, he has 1 (the PP game winner vs ND)-4-5 totals and 3 penalties for 20 minutes. Against Robert Morris in Fairbanks (CCHA officials) he was call for a 5 minute boarding, (one of 3 boarding calls, although the only major penalty in the game) but no misconduct or DQ. For this year, the total is 2 bogus majors and the (10 min game DQ).

Lafranchise’s game DQ has to stand, and he will be in civvies on Friday, although AD Cobb has authorized another ticket to Madtown. Per the WCHA, there was no foul, but the NCAA forbids a conference from affecting a remedy. Having the referee crew from the DU v UAA series sitting in the stands, or on a barstool, somewhere this weekend is the best the WCHA can do.
                              Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. - Lily Tomlin

Comment

Bye week agrees with DU hockey team
                                GO AVS!!!

.\ \
                                ..\ \
                                ...\ \ _____ GO DU!!!
                                ....\_////////)

Comment

Working...
                                X