Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching experiment at Princeton failing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching experiment at Princeton failing?

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
    I'm going to go hide now.
    Music to my ears!!
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

You have until 7PM tonight to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Round 1.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Sycamore View Post
        I know someone close to the goings on at Princeton, and the word I got from him/her is that Prier is a complete maniac. I've heard stories of screaming tantrums, military-like workouts, breaking sticks and chairs, incoherent ramblings......not good. Seems the program is spiralling of control. If they keep Prier, they better get a good shovel to dig the team out of the ground....because it looks like he's burying it. TimU, you must not know anyone who's played for him.
        I know Bob Prier well. IF you don't want him, we'll gladly take him back. He is as competitive as they come. He doesn't tolerate excuses and doesn't make excuses for himself. There is not a harder worker in the business. Even though he was an assistant at Princeton, I was sorry to see him leave for that job. The position at Princeton is tough. Hockey is a red-headed step-child to Lacrosse and Basketball, the program has never had great success no matter who their head coach has been, and presently all the top players with the academic credentials to get into Princeton seem to be going to Yale and Harvard who have had their pick amongst the top student athletes.

If you don't like screaming tantrums, tough work outs, and broken equipment then I'd stay clear of many, if not most, D1 Hockey programs. Prier was extremely well-liked by the SLU players who affectionately nicknamed him Sarge. Not getting in the lineup was a bummer because those not dressing on game days usually were treated to a nice long run. Prier was not following them in the golf cart but leading them himself.

Prier loves to win. He is extremely competitive. His prototypical player is bigger, tougher than most not unlike him as a player. I think Joe Marsh would probably still rate him as one of his two best captains of all time. I didn't see this 2 years ago. But what TimU said still stands true.

It will take time to create a mentality that will mesh with BP. In the end, I have every confidence in Bob and Princeton should too because he is honest, ethical, hard-working and competitive. I would imagine there are some old-regime guys not liking BP. To them I say touch ****. Do you want to win and get on the good side of your coach? Play you guts out and leave nothing out there. The turnaround will come. Trust me it is not happening enough for Prier either, but he will keep going and keep working which is all anyone can do.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Again, my info is all of the 'second hand' variety. Apparently the story goes like this: Prier was an assistant under Marsh for many years, but the SLU players couldn't stand Prier. They had a party after he left. Why would Prier have given up a chance to coach at his alma mater and keep his family from relocating? He must have known Marsh was retiring. Story goes he wasn't getting the head coaching job at SLU because, A) He was only kept on as an assistant at Marsh's request, B) the AD had grown tired of having a maniac assistant coach. Prier probably knew he wasn't getting the job.

No one wants to be screamed at, it's not fun. Yellers and screamers get tuned out. These players are adults, very intelligent adults. They'll learn from teachers that speak to them, not yell.They came to college to study and play hockey, they didn't join the Marine Corps. I'd doubt that any of the professors at both SLU and PU yell and scream and break things when students underachieve. If PU let's him go, you can have him. Maybe he'll get the idea theat his methods just plain don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sycamore View Post
            Again, my info is all of the 'second hand' variety. Apparently the story goes like this: Prier was an assistant under Marsh for many years, but the SLU players couldn't stand Prier. They had a party after he left. Why would Prier have given up a chance to coach at his alma mater and keep his family from relocating? He must have known Marsh was retiring. Story goes he wasn't getting the head coaching job at SLU because, A) He was only kept on as an assistant at Marsh's request, B) the AD had grown tired of having a maniac assistant coach. Prier probably knew he wasn't getting the job.

No one wants to be screamed at, it's not fun. Yellers and screamers get tuned out. These players are adults, very intelligent adults. They'll learn from teachers that speak to them, not yell.They came to college to study and play hockey, they didn't join the Marine Corps. I'd doubt that any of the professors at both SLU and PU yell and scream and break things when students underachieve. If PU let's him go, you can have him. Maybe he'll get the idea theat his methods just plain don't work.
            Ummm, ya. Most of this "story" is laughable, at best, as far as the stuff at SLU goes. Bobby P is as fierce a competitor as they come, of course he is going to try lighting a fire under his guys when things aren't going well, any coach worth a pinch of salt would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sycamore
              Well, Bi-Polar Bob Prier 'resigned' last night. I can't say it surprises me, or that it upsets me. I hope he didn't drag Scott Garrow down with him. The poor guy leaves a regularly successful program at Cornell to take a chance on a first time head coach, and ends up being part of a monumental disaster.
              I read that he was forced to resign.
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by Sycamore
                Well, Bi-Polar Bob Prier 'resigned' last night. I can't say it surprises me, or that it upsets me. I hope he didn't drag Scott Garrow down with him. The poor guy leaves a regularly successful program at Cornell to take a chance on a first time head coach, and ends up being part of a monumental disaster.
                Stop calling a very decent guy 'bi-polar'. Your information about his position at SLU is 100% wrong and I am guessing so is your information about his job at Princeton. I'm not going to dignify your comments further but now I can go back to watching Princeton be the doormat of the league. No one knew Joe Marsh was going to retire either. He talked about it. He disliked watching players get concussions. But his health issues combined with finding an heir in Carvel expedited his retirement.
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

"Where there's smoke, there's fire"
                  Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    I know Bob Prier well. IF you don't want him, we'll gladly take him back. He is as competitive as they come. He doesn't tolerate excuses and doesn't make excuses for himself. There is not a harder worker in the business. Even though he was an assistant at Princeton, I was sorry to see him leave for that job. The position at Princeton is tough. Hockey is a red-headed step-child to Lacrosse and Basketball, the program has never had great success no matter who their head coach has been, and presently all the top players with the academic credentials to get into Princeton seem to be going to Yale and Harvard who have had their pick amongst the top student athletes.

If you don't like screaming tantrums, tough work outs, and broken equipment then I'd stay clear of many, if not most, D1 Hockey programs. Prier was extremely well-liked by the SLU players who affectionately nicknamed him Sarge. Not getting in the lineup was a bummer because those not dressing on game days usually were treated to a nice long run. Prier was not following them in the golf cart but leading them himself.

Prier loves to win. He is extremely competitive. His prototypical player is bigger, tougher than most not unlike him as a player. I think Joe Marsh would probably still rate him as one of his two best captains of all time. I didn't see this 2 years ago. But what TimU said still stands true.

It will take time to create a mentality that will mesh with BP. In the end, I have every confidence in Bob and Princeton should too because he is honest, ethical, hard-working and competitive. I would imagine there are some old-regime guys not liking BP. To them I say touch ****. Do you want to win and get on the good side of your coach? Play you guts out and leave nothing out there. The turnaround will come. Trust me it is not happening enough for Prier either, but he will keep going and keep working which is all anyone can do.
                    Blah, Blah, Blah 25-58-12 Next

Comment

List of potential candidates for Princeton opening:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...yopyk-ben-barr
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                        List of potential candidates for Princeton opening:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...yopyk-ben-barr
                        Any D-III coaches getting a look?

Comment

Cornell associate head Ben Syer has applied for the head coach opening at Princeton. He's one of a handful of applicants getting interviewed......per Mike McMahon.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

John Buccigross @Buccigross · Jun 5
                            Princeton needs head hockey coach. Darren Yopyk/Keith Fisher/Anthony Noreen/Bill Riga/Joe Dumais in mix. Rumors even Scott Owens/Ron Rolston
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              Princeton needs head hockey coach. Darren Yopyk/Keith Fisher/Anthony Noreen/Bill Riga/Joe Dumais in mix. Rumors even Scott Owens/Ron Rolston
                              Got to like RR.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                DY's job to lose
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X