Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Maine 2009 season thread:The Revenge of TIMMAY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Maine 2009 season thread:The Revenge of TIMMAY!!!

Nice win for the team. Got to say saw timmay during the break at the Alfond, he looked his normal confused self, but have to give credit the team is playing better(minus the 3 goals on the 5min major). Calling timeouts, getting a bench minor for arguing, did somebody give him, hockey coaching for dummies for xmas?
    Let's hope the team can have a strong second half of the year and win some key HE games. Still need to get some recruits lined up who will show up and play for Maine in the future.

Comment

Hopefully the weather won't mess with UNB fans travelling to Orono on Saturday.

For those who don't follow CIS hockey (which understandably is probably most folks here), the Varsity Reds are undefeated against CIS and NCAA teams so far this season. They are 15-0 in AUS conference play and 10-0 in exhibition games against CIS and NCAA schools (with wins against PC, UMass and Vermont). Their only loss has been against the AHL's Portland Pirates. They stayed home for the holidays and and won their own Peterbilt Pete Kelly Cup tourney last night, defeating archrival Moncton 4-1 in a game that had lots of emotion for a exhibition game, including the first fighting major for star forward (and leading CIS scorer) Hunter Tremblay. He will have to sit out UNB's next conference game, and can't serve the suspension against Maine.

The Varsity Reds are the reigning CIS champions, and have been ranked #1 all season. They are probably the best conditioned team in the CIS, and by Canadian standards they are a fast team. Of course they are older than NCAA teams, and almost every player is a former Major Junior, and a couple have some minor pro experience. As good as they are they don't have high NHL draft picks - those kids play Major Junior or NCAA.

There is one American on the team - Luke Lynes from Michigan who grew up in the Washington, DC area. He opted to play in the OHL with Brampton, and played last fall in the minor pros before joining UNB after Christmas.

UNB plays a puck possession - puck pursuit game and seldom dumps the puck in. They are pretty big, and compared to most NCAA teams they play a more methodical, "pro style" game. UNB's defence is relatively inexperienced, and their goaltending tends to be untested -- they average over 40 shots per game and usually only give up just over 20.

UNB's top line features veteran John Scott Dickson on one wing and star Hunter Tremblay on the other, centred by the leading rookie in the conference, Chris Culligan. Daine Todd was injured last year in the second game against Maine and missed all of last season, so he is starting all over again as a rookie centre. He also quarterbacks the first power play unit. UNB gets scoring from all of their lines. The top defenceman now is Jonathan Harty, a second year player, but he is coming off knee surgery and may only play a period or so. Hard to miss is rookie Josh Kidd, a hulking 6'5" d-man. Rookie Ben Shutron won a Memorial Cup with Windsor and was the tournament MVP at the Pete Kelly Cup.
      Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM.
      "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Yikes--I don't like the sound of that at all! But thanks for the UNB rundown.... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
          Hopefully the weather won't mess with UNB fans travelling to Orono on Saturday.

For those who don't follow CIS hockey (which understandably is probably most folks here), the Varsity Reds are undefeated against CIS and NCAA teams so far this season. They are 15-0 in AUS conference play and 10-0 in exhibition games against CIS and NCAA schools (with wins against PC, UMass and Vermont). Their only loss has been against the AHL's Portland Pirates. They stayed home for the holidays and and won their own Peterbilt Pete Kelly Cup tourney last night, defeating archrival Moncton 4-1 in a game that had lots of emotion for a exhibition game, including the first fighting major for star forward (and leading CIS scorer) Hunter Tremblay. He will have to sit out UNB's next conference game, and can't serve the suspension against Maine.

The Varsity Reds are the reigning CIS champions, and have been ranked #1 all season. They are probably the best conditioned team in the CIS, and by Canadian standards they are a fast team. Of course they are older than NCAA teams, and almost every player is a former Major Junior, and a couple have some minor pro experience. As good as they are they don't have high NHL draft picks - those kids play Major Junior or NCAA.

There is one American on the team - Luke Lynes from Michigan who grew up in the Washington, DC area. He opted to play in the OHL with Brampton, and played last fall in the minor pros before joining UNB after Christmas.

UNB plays a puck possession - puck pursuit game and seldom dumps the puck in. They are pretty big, and compared to most NCAA teams they play a more methodical, "pro style" game. UNB's defence is relatively inexperienced, and their goaltending tends to be untested -- they average over 40 shots per game and usually only give up just over 20.

UNB's top line features veteran John Scott Dickson on one wing and star Hunter Tremblay on the other, centred by the leading rookie in the conference, Chris Culligan. Daine Todd was injured last year in the second game against Maine and missed all of last season, so he is starting all over again as a rookie centre. He also quarterbacks the first power play unit. UNB gets scoring from all of their lines. The top defenceman now is Jonathan Harty, a second year player, but he is coming off knee surgery and may only play a period or so. Hard to miss is rookie Josh Kidd, a hulking 6'5" d-man. Rookie Ben Shutron won a Memorial Cup with Windsor and was the tournament MVP at the Pete Kelly Cup.
          Should be a good game then !! Hopefully we can see what Sirman can do.
          What should Maine do, sit out some key players to prevent injuries going down the stretch?

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Chit you guys, I'm really starting to believe!! And I must say it feels GOOD!!!
            well, like I said a few weeks ago, after seeing them make Lowell look like a HS team, I thought about booking seats out to Ford Field.

Then I realized that the next bunch of games were all wins against crappy teams.

after the CC win, I think Maine can play with the big boys, and that is a vast improvement over last season.

DrewS was right again

Comment

Im still waiting for the success to go to their headz....I think House's pic on the front of USCHO shud unfortuneately do the trick.

Against UNB, think you gotta let everyone who hasnt gotten ice time play in this one. Wouldnt sit the top couple of lines though...keep em as sharp as possible against a very strong opponent in UNB. Hey Freddie, when you guyz gonna send down another Scott Pellerin our way?
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

By the sound of the weather UNB better get here friday. It will be a good scrimmage if no one gets hurt and guys who haven't got to play much get some time. I'd split the goalie time with Sirman and Willie. Keep the lines together but get different folks on PK and PP.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'd play all 3 goaltenders.........

1st period - Darling
                  2nd period - Willie
                  3rd period - Sirman

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                    I'd play all 3 goaltenders.........

1st period - Darling
                    2nd period - Willie
                    3rd period - Sirman
                    Good Idea...let them all get some action...even if Wilson and Sirman have not played much...it's pretty obvious that Darling will carry this team from here on in....

Comment

I'd play Sirman the whole game and get a good long look at him. Willy is gone and we've seen plenty of him already. Darling has earned a night off. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

Comment

Oh yeah, Happy New Year to all youz nutcases!

Comment

Oh yeah, Happy New Year to all youz nutcases!
                          Same here bubba...Ima already halfway to happiness.
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                            Same here bubba...Ima already halfway to happiness.
                            I hope you stuffed the towels tightly under the door

Happy New Year to my fellow Maine fans, Lets hope they keep playing hard and the wins follow
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'd play Sirman the whole game and get a good long look at him. Willy is gone and we've seen plenty of him already. Darling has earned a night off. I just hope nobody gets hurt.
                              Ditto!

Happy New Year!

Comment

Happy New Year to all Maine hockey fans. It's going to be a very interesting second half of the season. Maine has more wins now then all of last season.

Comment

Working...
                                X