Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    by the way- here are the facts, gopher fan, DU fan, or otherwise. it was from the front, not from behind. it was not late (half second after the pass)- it was finishing a check. in the .5 seconds after the pass- rau took zero strides towards zucker. no charging. he glided into the hit. he didnt launch himself into the hit. he got his hands up- it was hands to the head. thats a 5 minute penalty. he deserved getting ejected. no suspension is necessary.
    He skated half way across the ice at full speed and hit him. That is either a charge or boarding, how ever you want to call it. The replay is not that good, but it looks like his hands came in at chest level and pushed up. I would say that giving him 5 and a game was a good call. I am not sure if I would DTQ him and make him sit another game. This is not a easy call to make for the league. If the league is trying to send a message that if you take a run at someone you are going to be suspended I could see making him sit tonight. However, if they do that then they need to be consistant and do it all the time. This is where the league always fails. They are so inconsistant it drives me nuts......
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
      The WCHA has announced a 1 game ban for Kyle Rau which he'll be required to serve tonight. That is according to the WCHA website under press releases.
      I have no argument against that.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

by the way- here are the facts, gopher fan, DU fan, or otherwise. it was from the front, not from behind. it was not late (half second after the pass)
        He had time to avoid Zucker and made no attempt to do so despite the fact Zucker had gotten rid of the puck. That by definition is a late hit and makes what you just said opinion, not fact (and a horribly inaccurate opinion at that).
        - it was finishing a check. in the .5 seconds after the pass- rau took zero strides towards zucker. no charging.
        The call was boarding, so claiming charging or not is a moot point here. Given the NCAA rules on the subject at hand, it doesn't matter in terms of the penalty that was assessed.
        he got his hands up- it was hands to the head. thats a 5 minute penalty. he deserved getting ejected. no suspension is necessary.
        The last two statements are also clearly opinions. If you stuck to facts, you'd say that by rule, if contact to the head is made, a major and game misconduct or DQ is warranted. Since the call on the ice was a game misconduct, it'll be up to the league to review it and determine if additional punishment is necessary. This area is more subjective and really depends on whether or not the league wants to make an example of Rau and say this crap is going to be brought to a halt and that suspensions will now be handed out with increasing regularity for this sort of dangerous hit. They could also make an example of the Duluth player that took a run at Blood last night - that was also a vicious dangerous hit (and from behind).

Edit: and with the info per Dubbie, the league apparently does want to make an example of him. I support their decision and hope that others will also be handed out for other such hits, whether or not the victimized players were injured in the process. Suspensions have reduced fighting in college hockey to an uncommon event, so perhaps they will do likewise for the dirty hits (if consistently applied of course).
        Last edited by Bakunin; 02-11-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

What about Zucker? Will he be suspended for weenieness? Seriously, being knocked around by a little twerp? Just disgraceful!
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
            He had time to avoid Zucker and made no attempt to do so despite the fact Zucker had gotten rid of the puck. That by definition is a late hit and makes what you just said opinion, not fact (and a horribly inaccurate opinion at that).

The call was boarding, so claiming charging or not is a moot point here. Given the NCAA rules on the subject at hand, it doesn't matter in terms of the penalty that was assessed.
            the call was boarding? that was a bad call. i assumed it was contact to the head. as for avoiding zucker- in real time the hit is half a second after the pass. if thats a hit that could have been avoided- the majority of hits in hockey should be avoided. id agree he should have kept his hands down.

rau got a 1 game suspension. if anyone thinks rau didnt get the maximum suspension warranted- look at the history of the league. to be honest im surprised his hit was looked as equal in the eyes of the league as the hit in the link below (which got a 1 game suspension). skating past the puck to hit a player while launching off the ice at the head. then again.. this is the wcha. league officials dont know what theyre doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_hmLt7Pew

Comment

this is the wcha. league officials dont know what theyre doing.
              Stop the presses! jerryj is about to hold a school lesson on what WCHA league officials should be doing. Enlighten me...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Stop the presses! jerryj is about to hold a school lesson on what WCHA league officials should be doing. Enlighten me...
                how about calling suspensions constistently? when the hit below doesnt draw a suspension (even sioux fans on SS are saying it should have considering raus did), and raus does, thats inconsistency. forearm to the back of the head into the boards- no suspension. hands get high on the front of a player into the boards- suspension. i dont like inconsistency. i think its weird that you love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpvD489Heg
                Last edited by jerryj; 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

The hit served no purpose
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The fact of the matter is this, it is not 1980 anymore. The game is faster, kids are stronger and better equipment makes skaters feel less vulnerable. The leagues and the NCAA needs to take a strong stance against these hits. Too many injuries to justify the big hits, no excuses. They need to call it aggressively and punish severely.

And I mean this for all the schools, all the players, every game.

JMHO.
                    UMD: tHobey Baker University.

Comment

by the way- here are the facts, gopher fan, DU fan, or otherwise. it was from the front, not from behind. it was not late (half second after the pass)- it was finishing a check. in the .5 seconds after the pass- rau took zero strides towards zucker. no charging. he glided into the hit. he didnt launch himself into the hit. he got his hands up- it was hands to the head. thats a 5 minute penalty. he deserved getting ejected. no suspension is necessary.
                      All of this.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I disagree - I thought it was late and it was most definitely a charge.
                      Watch it in real time if you think it's late. Definitely falls into the finishing a check category. Obviously whether he should've checked him in the first place is up for debate.

Comment

how about calling suspensions constistently? when the hit below doesnt draw a suspension (even sioux fans on SS are saying it should have considering raus did), and raus does, thats inconsistency. forearm to the back of the head into the boards- no suspension. hands get high on the front of a player into the boards- suspension. i dont like inconsistency. i think its weird that you love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpvD489Heg
                        Well, I think it's weird that you have decided for me that "I love it". But, yeah, thanks for deciding my emotions for me.

Just because there is an inconsistency does NOT mean that rau should go unpunished.

Comment

He was already punished! Maybe more than he should've been. A suspension is just further proof that WCHA officiating is a complete and utter joke.

Comment

Just watched it. Dirty, dirty play. Puck was long gone and the hit came from behind.
                            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                              Just watched it. Dirty, dirty play. Puck was long gone and the hit came from behind.
                              Late? Yes. High? Yes. From behind? Definitely not.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

No argument from me with the suspension. If they (the WCHA) are using Rau as an example of what happens to players who make cheap/dangerous hits from here on out, great.

Comment

Working...
                                X