X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2011-12 Part II

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    He doesn't seem to me to be a similar type of player to Lee.
    Compare http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99515 with http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=133548

First year in the USHL, both have very low point totals, and average about a PIM per game. Second year in the USHL, they average right around 0.5 points per game, and each see their penalty minutes drastically increase to over one per game (to be fair, DeVito's went way up to nearly two per game). We'll see what happens their third year (Lee saw his scoring go up to about a point per game, and penalty minutes increase another 30% or so). They also have similar body types, as far as their listed heights and weights go (DeVito's weight will surely balloon upon starting in with an NCAA training staff).

What are the differences that you see? Sure, DeVito gets in more fights. But that is irrelevant, since that portion of the game is absent in the NCAA.
    Last edited by knsmith; 07-23-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
      What are the differences that you see? Sure, DeVito gets in more fights. But that is irrelevant, since that portion of the game is absent in the NCAA.
      I beg to differ. Guys that get into lots of scraps in juniors tend to end up still being tough guys in college. I think Bo Dolan is really the only exception that I've seen. Bailen fought a lot but he doesn't mind throwing hits in college either.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        I beg to differ. Guys that get into lots of scraps in juniors tend to end up still being tough guys in college. I think Bo Dolan is really the only exception that I've seen. Bailen fought a lot but he doesn't mind throwing hits in college either.
        Sure, but the deeper point is that any aspect of DeVito's fighting that might transfer to RPI clearly was -- and is -- present in Lee in any event. The point is that the PIMs, though different in absolute value between Lee and DeVito, really aren't a distinguishing point. Indeed, I can't find any meaningful distinctions in their trajectories.

Comment

That was indeed the point that crossed my mind. Although Devito probably won't throw a lot of punches in college, he will likley still get in many scraps.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Dolan's mixed it up at least once during college; there's national proof of that. Whether or not they're "tough", one thing that they definitely are is aggressive. Certainly there's a learning curve as to how much physicality is allowed in the college game (ask AspyDad where that one's going ), but it's that toughness and physicality that makes the ECAC the ECAC.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Dolan's mixed it up at least once during college; there's national proof of that. Whether or not they're "tough", one thing that they definitely are is aggressive. Certainly there's a learning curve as to how much physicality is allowed in the college game (ask AspyDad where that one's going ), but it's that toughness and physicality that makes the ECAC the ECAC.
              One doesn't make a trend.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There are Captains who lead by example and those who lead by taking charge. We really need more of the former kind than we have had lately.
                Precisely RB. There are different kinds of leadership...guys who rally and pump guys up, others leading by example -- doing the dirty work in corners, getting the puck to the front of the net (knowing full well they're going to get hammered)blocking shots,etc. etc.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

One doesn't make a trend.
                  It can start a trend, though.

Comment

It can start a trend, though.
                    But you don't know in which direction.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Happy last day of July! Just a little closer to the beginning of the season! Here we come!
                      Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                        Happy last day of July! Just a little closer to the beginning of the season! Here we come!
                        Wrong thread.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wrong thread.
                          Are we even going to have any merge time with the recruit thread, or are we going to end up going right to next year?

Comment

Are we even going to have any merge time with the recruit thread, or are we going to end up going right to next year?
                            It doesn't look like we will have any merge time unless we get many off-topic posts.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wrong thread.
                              But it's the thought that counts.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Happy last hours of July! Can't wait to see the recruits hit the ice! Wonder if any of them will be at the Golf Outing? Here we come!
                                Here we come!

Comment

Working...
                                X