Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biddco
    replied
    Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    We would be cheering against MSU-Moorhead.
    Probably. It's nice not to have to worry about two MSU-M's.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if our economy wasn't as bad. What if we had the economy of the 1990's when all this conference change was occurring?
    We would be cheering against MSU-Moorhead.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    Let me take a crack at it.

Hypothesis: College X, within the WCHA's footprint, has a big donor willing to fund a men's D-I hockey team. College X approaches the WCHA and says, "Daddy Warbucks says he will fund our new hockey team, and we would like to join your conference starting in Fall 2013. See, we've already started to gather players and a coach, and we're breaking ground on an arena in July!" The WCHA leaps at the opportunity and saves the tenth spot for College X, despite UAH's pleas.

Fast forward to Fall 2013. Daddy Warbucks' stock value fell, and now he can only give $15 million to College X. College X can't scrape up the rest, so they tell the WCHA, "Give us one more year." Meanwhile, Chris Luongo puts together a .350 season in Huntsville.

Fast forward to late Spring 2014. Daddy Warbucks goes to prison for tax evasion, and College X is stuck with half a stadium and an overpaid gym instructor. The WCHA tells College X to screw off and immediately offers a conference spot to UAH the week before the university plans to announce the hockey program's cancellation. UAH takes the spot, but Luongo's miracle season has already gotten him a job in the ECAC. They promote an assistant and go ahead regardless.

Fast forward to Spring 2015. UAH finishes dead last in the WCHA with 2 conference points (a 1-1 tie and a 0-0 tie), two forfeits (since they couldn't afford to go to UAF) and an average attendance of 325 people per game. The university decides, "We can't keep embarrassing ourselves," and pulls the plug. Geof Morris cries in his beer for three months.
    :chuckle: I don't think UAH makes it to 2014-15 without a conference, and I know that our conference preference is the WCHA.

Crying in my beer is not fun at all. Mack Portera got me there for about four days before someone told me that we weren't done fighting. "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Considering the WCHA really, really wants to be at 10 or 12 teams, the door for Huntsville is about as wide open as its ever going to be.
    I have the truck backed up to the loading dock. Let's do dis.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Huntsville or bust!
    Considering the WCHA really, really wants to be at 10 or 12 teams, the door for Huntsville is about as wide open as its ever going to be.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if our economy wasn't as bad. What if we had the economy of the 1990's when all this conference change was occurring?
    Probably (maybe?) we'd have more than 58 teams right now, but there would also certainly have been more Fairfields, Findlays and Wayne States.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    I thought this part was interesting.
    In addition to the financial implications of adding a premier sport, the decision was influenced by upcoming changes in conference affiliations. Membership shakeups from the formation of the Big 10 Hockey Conference and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference won't take effect until 2013-14, but the changes created a limited window of opportunity. To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.
    Seems to me conference changes were the reason they prematurely announced they were bringing in Div 1 hockey. Why announce when so far from the goal? Hoping it will bring in further funds?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.
    Huntsville or bust!

Leave a comment:

• Flashy Man
    replied

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    Minnesota State University Moorhead will not be adding hockey. I received an official E-Mail from the MSUM Alumni Association with the full press release, but here's the Fargo Forum article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352296/

Minnesota State University Moorhead President Edna Szymanski is expected to announce today that the school has decided not to add Division I ice hockey to its athletic program.

In a letter she released to the MSUM faculty, Szymanski said the school has fallen short of raising the necessary money to fund a Division I men's and women's hockey team "due to the current econmic climate."
    I thought this part was interesting.
    In addition to the financial implications of adding a premier sport, the decision was influenced by upcoming changes in conference affiliations. Membership shakeups from the formation of the Big 10 Hockey Conference and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference won't take effect until 2013-14, but the changes created a limited window of opportunity.
    To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.

Leave a comment:

• Pump It Up
    replied

And I got beat to the punch. Better post above both of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Pump It Up
    replied

In the car so no link, but KFGO radio is reporting President Edna has announced MSUM will pull the plug on the hockey dream. They just couldn't raise the funds, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied

Minnesota State University Moorhead will not be adding hockey. I received an official E-Mail from the MSUM Alumni Association with the full press release, but here's the Fargo Forum article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352296/

Minnesota State University Moorhead President Edna Szymanski is expected to announce today that the school has decided not to add Division I ice hockey to its athletic program.

In a letter she released to the MSUM faculty, Szymanski said the school has fallen short of raising the necessary money to fund a Division I men's and women's hockey team "due to the current econmic climate."

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
    I think that's the same guy who runs http://thecollegehockeyblog.com
    Appears that way.

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/about/

Thanks for stopping by our sweet little spot on the web. If you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, etc. please e-mail me at fetch9 [at] gmail.com and I will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Thanks for reading.
    Either way, he doesn't sound like he has the ear of anyone AT Kansas, just that he would like it a lot, and that he's having college hockey withdrawals.

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    KU?

The blog is pure conjecture and the writer makes erroneous or laughable statements, like about the elimination of UAH's program or then he goes on to talk about the inevitability of Texas adding D-1 hockey and how KU should get the drop on them in that regard. LOL. He even suggests a head coach for KU to poach for their non-existent program.
    I think that's the same guy who runs http://thecollegehockeyblog.com

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Link?
    Still looking around for this.

However, in that process, another country was heard from:

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2012/2/...one-ice-hockey

KU?

The blog is pure conjecture and the writer makes erroneous or laughable statements, like about the elimination of UAH's program or then he goes on to talk about the inevitability of Texas adding D-1 hockey and how KU should get the drop on them in that regard. LOL. He even suggests a head coach for KU to poach for their non-existent program.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X