No announcement yet.

MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
    I think that's the same guy who runs http://thecollegehockeyblog.com
    Appears that way.

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/about/

Thanks for stopping by our sweet little spot on the web. If you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, etc. please e-mail me at fetch9 [at] gmail.com and I will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Thanks for reading.
    Either way, he doesn't sound like he has the ear of anyone AT Kansas, just that he would like it a lot, and that he's having college hockey withdrawals.
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Minnesota State University Moorhead will not be adding hockey. I received an official E-Mail from the MSUM Alumni Association with the full press release, but here's the Fargo Forum article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352296/

Minnesota State University Moorhead President Edna Szymanski is expected to announce today that the school has decided not to add Division I ice hockey to its athletic program.

In a letter she released to the MSUM faculty, Szymanski said the school has fallen short of raising the necessary money to fund a Division I men's and women's hockey team "due to the current econmic climate."

Comment

In the car so no link, but KFGO radio is reporting President Edna has announced MSUM will pull the plug on the hockey dream. They just couldn't raise the funds, apparently.

Comment

And I got beat to the punch. Better post above both of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
            Minnesota State University Moorhead will not be adding hockey. I received an official E-Mail from the MSUM Alumni Association with the full press release, but here's the Fargo Forum article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352296/

Minnesota State University Moorhead President Edna Szymanski is expected to announce today that the school has decided not to add Division I ice hockey to its athletic program.

In a letter she released to the MSUM faculty, Szymanski said the school has fallen short of raising the necessary money to fund a Division I men's and women's hockey team "due to the current econmic climate."
            I thought this part was interesting.
            In addition to the financial implications of adding a premier sport, the decision was influenced by upcoming changes in conference affiliations. Membership shakeups from the formation of the Big 10 Hockey Conference and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference won't take effect until 2013-14, but the changes created a limited window of opportunity.
            To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.
              Huntsville or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                I thought this part was interesting.
                In addition to the financial implications of adding a premier sport, the decision was influenced by upcoming changes in conference affiliations. Membership shakeups from the formation of the Big 10 Hockey Conference and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference won't take effect until 2013-14, but the changes created a limited window of opportunity. To me it seems the WCHA may have decided on a 10th member.
                Seems to me conference changes were the reason they prematurely announced they were bringing in Div 1 hockey. Why announce when so far from the goal? Hoping it will bring in further funds?

Comment

I wonder what would have happened if our economy wasn't as bad. What if we had the economy of the 1990's when all this conference change was occurring?
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    I wonder what would have happened if our economy wasn't as bad. What if we had the economy of the 1990's when all this conference change was occurring?
                    Probably (maybe?) we'd have more than 58 teams right now, but there would also certainly have been more Fairfields, Findlays and Wayne States.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Huntsville or bust!
                      Considering the WCHA really, really wants to be at 10 or 12 teams, the door for Huntsville is about as wide open as its ever going to be.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                        Let me take a crack at it.

Hypothesis: College X, within the WCHA's footprint, has a big donor willing to fund a men's D-I hockey team. College X approaches the WCHA and says, "Daddy Warbucks says he will fund our new hockey team, and we would like to join your conference starting in Fall 2013. See, we've already started to gather players and a coach, and we're breaking ground on an arena in July!" The WCHA leaps at the opportunity and saves the tenth spot for College X, despite UAH's pleas.

Fast forward to Fall 2013. Daddy Warbucks' stock value fell, and now he can only give $15 million to College X. College X can't scrape up the rest, so they tell the WCHA, "Give us one more year." Meanwhile, Chris Luongo puts together a .350 season in Huntsville.

Fast forward to late Spring 2014. Daddy Warbucks goes to prison for tax evasion, and College X is stuck with half a stadium and an overpaid gym instructor. The WCHA tells College X to screw off and immediately offers a conference spot to UAH the week before the university plans to announce the hockey program's cancellation. UAH takes the spot, but Luongo's miracle season has already gotten him a job in the ECAC. They promote an assistant and go ahead regardless.

Fast forward to Spring 2015. UAH finishes dead last in the WCHA with 2 conference points (a 1-1 tie and a 0-0 tie), two forfeits (since they couldn't afford to go to UAF) and an average attendance of 325 people per game. The university decides, "We can't keep embarrassing ourselves," and pulls the plug. Geof Morris cries in his beer for three months.
                        :chuckle: I don't think UAH makes it to 2014-15 without a conference, and I know that our conference preference is the WCHA.

Crying in my beer is not fun at all. Mack Portera got me there for about four days before someone told me that we weren't done fighting. "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        Considering the WCHA really, really wants to be at 10 or 12 teams, the door for Huntsville is about as wide open as its ever going to be.
                        I have the truck backed up to the loading dock. Let's do dis.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          We would be cheering against MSU-Moorhead.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            We would be cheering against MSU-Moorhead.
                            Probably. It's nice not to have to worry about two MSU-M's.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                            X