Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingdobbs
    replied
    Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    The New WCHA thread mentions that a Green Bay reporter confirmed that UW-GB hasn't spoken to the WCHA. Reading into it, I think that means they just aren't that interested in hockey, rather than meaning "we haven't talked to the WCHA, but have to the NCHC." Iowa State has come up on USCHO before, but I don't have any references - it might just have been speculation based on their club team's success.
    Is it plausible that the BSU guy misspoke (or the writer misheard/miswrote) and meant to say UW-Milwaukee?

Leave a comment:

• bunt_q
    replied

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Where did you get 168k for St. Cloud? 120 at most, but I don't understand what exactly they call the St. Cloud area. If you can count St. Cloud as a suburb of MSP, then you might as well call Brainerd a suburb of St. Cloud.. or Cheyenne a suburb of Denver
    Totally not hockey related, but if you're curious, census metropolitan area definitions info is here: http://www.census.gov/population/metro/

Although, I would say "do you go crazy driving between the two?" might be a better criteria than anything the Census uses.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Where did you get 168k for St. Cloud? 120 at most, but I don't understand what exactly they call the St. Cloud area. If you can count St. Cloud as a suburb of MSP, then you might as well call Brainerd a suburb of St. Cloud.. or Cheyenne a suburb of Denver

irrelevant, but I always go crazy driving from MSP to St. Cloud. It's anything but a suburb, an economy on its own.
    Ask the US Census Bureau, it was their choice. The development from Minneapolis to St. Cloud IS a lot more continuous than that from Minneapolis to Mankato, but otherwise I don't see there being a big difference.

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    If that area along the 94 corridor continues to expand than in 20 or 30 years we may look at St. Cloud as that...

So odd that they mention UW-GB and yet it sounds like they have no interest in even starting a hockey team.
    Very true.

Yup. It's early for the WCHA leadership to be grasping at straws, it seems like they must have spoken with SOMEone at Green Bay.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

irrelevant, but I always go crazy driving from MSP to St. Cloud. It's anything but a suburb, an economy on its own.
    If that area along the 94 corridor continues to expand than in 20 or 30 years we may look at St. Cloud as that...

So odd that they mention UW-GB and yet it sounds like they have no interest in even starting a hockey team.

Leave a comment:

• UMD21
    replied

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
    I don't think the difference between Mankato and St. Cloud has anything to do with the schools themselves, or even really hockey. It has to do with Mankato being part of a metropolitan area of ~97,000, versus St. Cloud being a metropolitan area of ~168,000 and part of the larger Minneapolis-St. Paul CSA. Basically, it's as close as a non-rodent school can be to the Twin Cities.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

I don't think the difference between Mankato and St. Cloud has anything to do with the schools themselves, or even really hockey. It has to do with Mankato being part of a metropolitan area of ~97,000, versus St. Cloud being a metropolitan area of ~168,000 and part of the larger Minneapolis-St. Paul CSA. Basically, it's as close as a non-rodent school can be to the Twin Cities.
    I don't think there's an appreciable difference here. St. Cloud happens to be in the MSP CSA, but in reality it's only 20 miles and 15 minutes closer than Mankato. The population of the Mankato MSA is definitely smaller than that of the St. Cloud MSA, though both schools draw from the entire population of Minnesota and have name recognition throughout the state (unlike, say, Southwest State or U of M-Crookston.)

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Seriously, though, does Goeb have to go on with his claims? I guess the MSU and UAH ones are a given. But UWGB is total bull**** and this would be the first anyone has heard of Iowa State, right?
    The New WCHA thread mentions that a Green Bay reporter confirmed that UW-GB hasn't spoken to the WCHA. Reading into it, I think that means they just aren't that interested in hockey, rather than meaning "we haven't talked to the WCHA, but have to the NCHC." Iowa State has come up on USCHO before, but I don't have any references - it might just have been speculation based on their club team's success.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    and this would be the first anyone has heard of Iowa Stte, right?
    I know I've never heard of Iowa Stte.

I know about Iowa State, but not his other one....

Leave a comment:

• hattrick16
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Even numbers are nice, but not necessary. If you have a lazy league schedule maker, than an odd number of teams isn't their dream job.

I have seen a very prelim BSU schedule for next year. Right now, depending on what the NCAA allows for the opening weekend, they have five open weekends with one non-conference series left to schedule, so net four open weekends. Since every team in your league has basically the same amount of open weekends and the same amount of non-conference games, an odd numbered league can work. You just have to get a little creative with the amount of teams in league play (an even number) and the amount of teams in non-conference play or on byes (an odd number).
    The current CCHA has an odd number of teams. When you're talking about 9, 10, 11 or 12 teams the odd/even thing is really irrelevant because it is really not difficult to schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Yeah, the most recent numbers I saw said SCSU had more individual students, but Mankato had more credit-hour production, meaning more full-time students.
    Yeah, MSU just took the lead this semester in the number of students according to MnSCU's official numbers. Not that 200 students really is that big of a differnce.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Seriously, though, does Goeb have to go on with his claims? I guess the MSU and UAH ones are a given. But UWGB is total bull**** and this would be the first anyone has heard of Iowa Stte, right?

Leave a comment:

• bunt_q
    replied

Fair enough - SCSU appears to just edge MSUM in terms of students served (21k vs. 18k, not sure how many of those are on campus).

But, MavsFan has a point that Mankato is broadly equivalent to SCSU, excepting its NCAA division and recent hockey success.

Leave a comment:

• MavsFan
    replied

Fair enough - SCSU appears to just edge MSUM in terms of students served (21k vs. 18k, not sure how many of those are on campus).
    Yeah, the most recent numbers I saw said SCSU had more individual students, but Mankato had more credit-hour production, meaning more full-time students.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    If you're talking about student enrollment, Mankato and St. Cloud are just about identical in size.

I wouldn't mind adding Iowa State to the NCHC - it fits geographically, and they're a big school. I was happy to be rid of them in football when Colorado moved to the PAC, but for hockey, it'd be good.

But...we'd need another. Even numbers of teams are good. I'd love to coax Air Force over. Alabama... hmm... it's "national" for sure, but not "like minded" by any stretch.
    I'm still not sure what "like-minded" even means. But, MavsFan has a point that Mankato is broadly equivalent to SCSU, excepting its NCAA division and recent hockey success. You could feasibly recruit them to the NCHC.

On the other hand, I hope that rather than let itself contract further, the WCHA is keeping up a dialogue with the SCSU, WMU, and UMD ADs.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Even numbers are nice, but not necessary. If you have a lazy league schedule maker, than an odd number of teams isn't their dream job.

I have seen a very prelim BSU schedule for next year. Right now, depending on what the NCAA allows for the opening weekend, they have five open weekends with one non-conference series left to schedule, so net four open weekends. Since every team in your league has basically the same amount of open weekends and the same amount of non-conference games, an odd numbered league can work. You just have to get a little creative with the amount of teams in league play (an even number) and the amount of teams in non-conference play or on byes (an odd number).

Leave a comment:

• bunt_q
    replied

I wouldn't mind adding Iowa State to the NCHC - it fits geographically, and they're a big school. I was happy to be rid of them in football when Colorado moved to the PAC, but for hockey, it'd be good.

But...we'd need another. Even numbers of teams are good. I'd love to coax Air Force over. Alabama... hmm... it's "national" for sure, but not "like minded" by any stretch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X