No announcement yet.

MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    There has been some notice of the success of UNO hockey in Kansas City, particularly by city officials who have a white elephant building, and some sentiment has been developed down there that "hey, maybe we can do this, too". The story I read led me to believe that this is more city than school driven.
    Link?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
      Also, anyone want to call up Ohio University, University of Illinois-Chicago and Saint Louis University and convince them to get back into D-1 men's hockey?
      Findlay!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Link?
        I knew somebody was gonna ask this. I'll try and find it and post it. This was, I think in the Kansas City Star right about the time of the announcement of the Icebreaker for next season. I am from Kansas City, although I have lived in Omaha for the past 22 years, and I am there about twice a month, and it may be that I saw it in something like "The Pitch", instead, which is a local weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
          Findlay!
          Get the Illitches on the phone too, 'cause Wayne State still needs their on-campus arena and Red Wings practice facility.
          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
            I wasn't aware that the Air Force paid all the teams in the Atlantic Hockey to fly there. Or that any CCHA or WCHA teams going to Alaska got their airfare covered by any means other than their own either.
            So that means Mankato and Northern Michigan and Bemidji should all add a $10-15,000 flight to their expenses, right. And what I was referring to with Air Force and flights was the fact that they head east 7 times a year. Maybe geography is the wrong term, maybe it's cost, because it's either an expensive flight or an extra day on the road each way, additional missed class time, which when you add a trip to Alaska to your schedule and some runs from Mankato to Bowling Green or Bemidji to Ferris becomes a concern too.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

SCSU was invited to be a bottom in the NCHC. Hope they like it...
              Pretty sure we can compete with Omaha, Duluth, Western Michigan, CC and Miami.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I have a feeling UAH is going to get screwed over.....AGAIN. Hopefully I'm wrong.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  I have a feeling UAH is going to get screwed over.....AGAIN. Hopefully I'm wrong.
                  I am curious. How so?

Comment

I am curious. How so?
                    Let me take a crack at it.

Hypothesis: College X, within the WCHA's footprint, has a big donor willing to fund a men's D-I hockey team. College X approaches the WCHA and says, "Daddy Warbucks says he will fund our new hockey team, and we would like to join your conference starting in Fall 2013. See, we've already started to gather players and a coach, and we're breaking ground on an arena in July!" The WCHA leaps at the opportunity and saves the tenth spot for College X, despite UAH's pleas.

Fast forward to Fall 2013. Daddy Warbucks' stock value fell, and now he can only give $15 million to College X. College X can't scrape up the rest, so they tell the WCHA, "Give us one more year." Meanwhile, Chris Luongo puts together a .350 season in Huntsville.

Fast forward to late Spring 2014. Daddy Warbucks goes to prison for tax evasion, and College X is stuck with half a stadium and an overpaid gym instructor. The WCHA tells College X to screw off and immediately offers a conference spot to UAH the week before the university plans to announce the hockey program's cancellation. UAH takes the spot, but Luongo's miracle season has already gotten him a job in the ECAC. They promote an assistant and go ahead regardless.

Fast forward to Spring 2015. UAH finishes dead last in the WCHA with 2 conference points (a 1-1 tie and a 0-0 tie), two forfeits (since they couldn't afford to go to UAF) and an average attendance of 325 people per game. The university decides, "We can't keep embarrassing ourselves," and pulls the plug. Geof Morris cries in his beer for three months.

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                      Let me take a crack at it.

Hypothesis: College X, within the WCHA's footprint, has a big donor willing to fund a men's D-I hockey team. College X approaches the WCHA and says, "Daddy Warbucks says he will fund our new hockey team, and we would like to join your conference starting in Fall 2013. See, we've already started to gather players and a coach, and we're breaking ground on an arena in July!" The WCHA leaps at the opportunity and saves the tenth spot for College X, despite UAH's pleas.

Fast forward to Fall 2013. Daddy Warbucks' stock value fell, and now he can only give $15 million to College X. College X can't scrape up the rest, so they tell the WCHA, "Give us one more year." Meanwhile, Chris Luongo puts together a .350 season in Huntsville.

Fast forward to late Spring 2014. Daddy Warbucks goes to prison for tax evasion, and College X is stuck with half a stadium and an overpaid gym instructor. The WCHA tells College X to screw off and immediately offers a conference spot to UAH the week before the university plans to announce the hockey program's cancellation. UAH takes the spot, but Luongo's miracle season has already gotten him a job in the ECAC. They promote an assistant and go ahead regardless.

Fast forward to Spring 2015. UAH finishes dead last in the WCHA with 2 conference points (a 1-1 tie and a 0-0 tie), two forfeits (since they couldn't afford to go to UAF) and an average attendance of 325 people per game. The university decides, "We can't keep embarrassing ourselves," and pulls the plug. Geof Morris cries in his beer for three months.
                      So are they going to get screwed over? Or are they getting screwed over?

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        Pfft... Still in second

----

There's a big difference between Air Force and UAH... it's a little easier when you have a trillion dollar bankroll.
                        And your own planes and pilots.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

So are they going to get screwed over? Or are they getting screwed over?
                          Yes, most likely.

Comment

Nothing too new in this, but some more information none the less:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/59221/
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Link?
                              Still looking around for this.

However, in that process, another country was heard from:

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2012/2/...one-ice-hockey

KU?

The blog is pure conjecture and the writer makes erroneous or laughable statements, like about the elimination of UAH's program or then he goes on to talk about the inevitability of Texas adding D-1 hockey and how KU should get the drop on them in that regard. LOL. He even suggests a head coach for KU to poach for their non-existent program.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                KU?

The blog is pure conjecture and the writer makes erroneous or laughable statements, like about the elimination of UAH's program or then he goes on to talk about the inevitability of Texas adding D-1 hockey and how KU should get the drop on them in that regard. LOL. He even suggests a head coach for KU to poach for their non-existent program.
                                I think that's the same guy who runs http://thecollegehockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X