Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied
    Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by Bale View Post
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. It's just the reality that they almost dropped it. I'm just contrasting the two schools. I think financially, MSU's athletic department is a little bit healthier, but there is an argument to be made that it's at the expense of the hockey program getting the funding it needs/wants.
    I'm not either, just mentioning another school that had the same problem and came up with a solution to fund both hockey and football. Your mileage may vary, and I can't say whether there are rich Mankato alums willing to do the same here.

Not to dump on MSU-Mankato - you guys have been respectable in the WCHA, and I think you will do better when out of the shadow of the U, UMD and SCSU - but I'm looking forward to the day when there are enough D-I hockey schools to make a D-II league and championship feasible again. Preferably, it would have a fair amount of mobility between it and D-I to allow D-II schools to play up and fall back as their program needs dictate, without having to outright drop the program like many CHA and CCHA schools.

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    Lots of schools have almost dropped their football programs. See Michigan Tech for an example of a school whose program dramatically improved (and has stayed at .500+) after football was canceled, then reinstated with generous alumni support.
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. It's just the reality that they almost dropped it. I'm just contrasting the two schools. I think financially, MSU's athletic department is a little bit healthier, but there is an argument to be made that it's at the expense of the hockey program getting the funding it needs/wants.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by Bale View Post
    There's also the added factor that SCSU almost dropped their football program over the last couple years due to funding issues.

As for MSU's admin not caring about hockey, that's not exactly true. No, they haven't done the same things that other schools have done, but they did what they had to do to get to D1 and now their hands are tied due to some of the agreements they had to make (ie the financial package they accepted to have VWC built). They probably place more emphasis on women's sports than a lot of people would like, but that's the direction that MSU has chosen to make. It doesn't sit well with a lot of hockey supporters.
    Lots of schools have almost dropped their football programs. See Michigan Tech for an example of a school whose program dramatically improved (and has stayed at .500+) after football was canceled, then reinstated with generous alumni support.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Yep, except it appears that their administration cares about their hockey program, unlike ours.
    Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

SCSU was invited to be a bottom in the NCHC. Hope they like it...

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied

Oh, for some reason I thought that SCSU had just jumped to D-I. Maybe it was speculation that they would consider it, with NDSU and UND both up a division. In other words, SCSU and MSU-Mankato are almost entirely identical - right?
    There's also the added factor that SCSU almost dropped their football program over the last couple years due to funding issues.

As for MSU's admin not caring about hockey, that's not exactly true. No, they haven't done the same things that other schools have done, but they did what they had to do to get to D1 and now their hands are tied due to some of the agreements they had to make (ie the financial package they accepted to have VWC built). They probably place more emphasis on women's sports than a lot of people would like, but that's the direction that MSU has chosen to make. It doesn't sit well with a lot of hockey supporters.

Leave a comment:

• MavsFan
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Mankato is completely happy being good to great at basketball and wrestling. "Hockey? We're D-1. That's good enough."
    Correct, except I think they'd like to excel at football too.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Mankato is completely happy being good to great at basketball and wrestling. "Hockey? We're D-1. That's good enough."

Leave a comment:

• MavsFan
    replied

Oh, for some reason I thought that SCSU had just jumped to D-I. Maybe it was speculation that they would consider it, with NDSU and UND both up a division. In other words, SCSU and MSU-Mankato are almost entirely identical - right?
    Yep, except it appears that their administration cares about their hockey program, unlike ours.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by Mav Fan View Post
    MSU and SCSU are both Div II. They are both in the NSIC in other sports, along with UMD and Bemidji.

Leave a comment:

• Mav Fan
    replied

I'm still not sure what "like-minded" even means. But, MavsFan has a point that Mankato is broadly equivalent to SCSU, excepting its NCAA division and recent hockey success. You could feasibly recruit them to the NCHC.
    MSU and SCSU are both Div II. They are both in the NSIC in other sports, along with UMD and Bemidji.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Is it plausible that the BSU guy misspoke (or the writer misheard/miswrote) and meant to say UW-Milwaukee?
    Isn't UWM something of a commuter school? I see it being something like Wayne State's foray into D-1 men's hockey, unless it really is a different environment there.

Either way, if a non-B1G D-1 school adds hockey in the Midwest, the NCHC will fight tooth-and-nail to grab it before the WCHA does. Even if it would be a better fit for the WCHA.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Green Bay was also reported in the Fairbanks rag a few weeks ago. Who knows how true the rumor is, but it's been floating around for a while.
    I'll quote Rob Demovsky (who covers UWGB for the GB Press Gazette), who had this to say when I emailed him after that Fairbanks story got out (I also asked about the rumors of the Resch Center for the WCHA tourney):

David:
    The UWGB hockey thing isn't happening. That athletic department couldn't fund that. Plus, there would be major Title IX issues. The school issued a statement saying it doesn't know why its name would be mentioned in that story because it has had no discussions with the WCHA.
    Not sure about the Resch Center as a possible venue for that tournament. I will look into it.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Is it plausible that the BSU guy misspoke (or the writer misheard/miswrote) and meant to say UW-Milwaukee?
    Green Bay was also reported in the Fairbanks rag a few weeks ago. Who knows how true the rumor is, but it's been floating around for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Flashy Man
    replied

Here's what a Green Bay Press Gazette reporter had to say on twitter.
    Originally posted by @weshod
    Talked with @GBPhoenix AD Ken Bothof, who reiterated there are no plans at this time to add men's hockey to the school's sports programs
    Have no plans doesn't mean they haven't explored it. It could have been as simple as asking the WCHA for budgets from all it's members. As well as, what AD is going to just tell a reporter of big plans that a hockey team would be.

Leave a comment:

• scsutommyboy
    replied

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Where did you get 168k for St. Cloud? 120 at most, but I don't understand what exactly they call the St. Cloud area. If you can count St. Cloud as a suburb of MSP, then you might as well call Brainerd a suburb of St. Cloud.. or Cheyenne a suburb of Denver

irrelevant, but I always go crazy driving from MSP to St. Cloud. It's anything but a suburb, an economy on its own.
    I know what you are saying, but the crazy thing is if you go up hwy 10, there is maybe 15 miles tops of no development otherwise it is all city the whole way up. Still not a suburb, but gettting real close. Also, 20% of people in St. Cloud drive to the twin cities to work.
    Last edited by scsutommyboy; 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X