Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Cows
    replied
    Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    I'm discounting UW-GB for now, since they don't appear to be interested.

If Iowa State did create a hockey program, as much as I'd want them to go to the WCHA, I'd expect them to go to the NCHC despite their upstart status. They're closer to UNO geographically than to MSU-Mankato, and closer in size to UNO, SCSU, WMU, Miami, et al than to MTU, Mankato, Ferris, Bemidji, et al. ISU also has more name recognition than most of the WCHA schools, more comparable to NCHC schools.

So, let's hope the WCHA is beating the bushes at the UW satellite schools, NDSU and SDSU, and any other D-I/II schools in the Upper Midwest.

Another school that has at least discussed the possibility of D-1 hockey is the University of Missouri-Kansas City. As far as I know, this hasn't gone past pure media conjecture and questioning by them and by the City of Kansas City of some school officials there.

The thinking down there has been thus:

1. UMKC is a member of the Summit League with UNO.

2. There would be a potential natural rivalry with their new Summit Conference mates in another sport.

3. The City of Kansas City, in a complete knee jerk reaction to Omaha's construction of the Centurylink Center, ran around yelling "the sky is falling" and built the Sprint Center with absolutely no tenant to put in it other than some vague hope of getting an NHL team.

There has been some notice of the success of UNO hockey in Kansas City, particularly by city officials who have a white elephant building, and some sentiment has been developed down there that "hey, maybe we can do this, too". The story I read led me to believe that this is more city than school driven.

Side bar of note is that the next season's Ice Breaker Tournament is being held at the Sprint Center in KC, featuring Army, Notre Dame, Maine, and none other than UNO. Another thing that got city fathers to thinking about this. As a UMKC alum myself, I must say I would enjoy seeing the addition of the "Kangaroo" moniker to college hockey. It would be great just on comedic value alone.

The "Fighting Sioux versus the Kangaroos" just has some sort odd allure to it. Sounds like some sort of bizzaro wrestling tag-team match.

The Sprint Center seats 17,544 for hockey, by the way. In that regard, its a tad bigger than the Centurylink Center here in Omaha.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

If there are enough colleges looking to add hockey, there will be another conference realignment out west. Maybe it'll be a Pacific conference including the Alaskas, maybe it will be a Great Plains conference with DU, CC, UNO and a few more, or maybe it'll be centered around the eastern Great Lakes. I do hope that all of the teams listed (or UW-M instead of UW-GB, at least) decide to add hockey, but that's unlikely.

Failing a realignment, the WCHA or a similar conference (WIHL take two?) is here to stay, and a group of schools will stay with a NCHC-like league.

Leave a comment:

• GopherBigGuy911
    replied

Maybe they will blow all our minds and add 3 teams to the W ;-)

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Originally posted by gochargers View Post
    Do you think WCHA is forcing Moorhead to "put or shut up" by the end of February to allow a March decision for the 10th member? My guess is that this all hinges around the Frozen Four. If UAH is "out", WCHA announces earlier in March so as not to detract from the Frozen Four and prevent awkwardness for the host school. If UAH is "in", you announce it in Tampa while the rest of the hockey world and ESPN are present.

If Moorhead has been kicking this around doing something for several years, my guess is that from a political standpoint, the other Minn schools are having to give them an opportunity to be in. Throwing a list of school names is common in coaching searches to give the impression that there is much wider search going on when in reality they know who they want. I would think this is the same situation and just trying to mask the real politics going on. we will see shortly.....................
    I thought it was the other way around, that Moorhead wouldn't start the program if they aren't assured of joining the WCHA. At least, that's what I understand the case being in years prior. I certainly don't blame them for not pulling the trigger if they had to be an independent for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

In my opinion having 10, 11 or 12 teams in the WCHA is really not that important. Everyone blows a gasket about having an even number of teams to schedule your season, but with 10 or more teams it's not that big of a deal. ANY team that wants to get into the WHCA should be evaluated on their own merit, not just rush someone in to get a certain number. There will be some growing pains starting in 2013 anyway so the first few years are bound to be a bit rough until things smooth out. Whether 1 or 2 more teams join before the 2013 season is set up does not really matter. The only real "rush" to get the teams set is so that a schedule can be created. How many teams you are scheduling for doesn't really matter.

Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• slowe
    replied

I don't know why the decision would be either Moorhead OR UAH though. If I were the WCHA, I'd definitely take both and go to 11. Sure 10 is a nice round number for scheduling, but let's think about this. One of the larger concerns now is having a bunch of smaller schools and the possibility of two trips up to Alaska. Alaska teams subsidize travel, so it's seems the primary concern is more just the hassle of the long and frequent travel. Why not add all the schools that you can into the mix so you are less likely to have to go up there frequently? Sure 11 is a little more difficult to schedule, but the CCHA has been doing it. You can't always have a round number. Let in UAH. If Moorhead comes up with the funding, let them in too. Travel to UAH can't be that bad. And if they also help subsidize travel, it takes away a major reason not to let them in. UAH has to demonstrate they are serious to the program and will committ financially, but if they can do that I see no reason to not let them in.

Leave a comment:

• gochargers
    replied

Do you think WCHA is forcing Moorhead to "put or shut up" by the end of February to allow a March decision for the 10th member? My guess is that this all hinges around the Frozen Four. If UAH is "out", WCHA announces earlier in March so as not to detract from the Frozen Four and prevent awkwardness for the host school. If UAH is "in", you announce it in Tampa while the rest of the hockey world and ESPN are present.

If Moorhead has been kicking this around doing something for several years, my guess is that from a political standpoint, the other Minn schools are having to give them an opportunity to be in. Throwing a list of school names is common in coaching searches to give the impression that there is much wider search going on when in reality they know who they want. I would think this is the same situation and just trying to mask the real politics going on. we will see shortly.....................

Leave a comment:

• HumRsky
    replied
    Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Where did you get 168k for St. Cloud? 120 at most, but I don't understand what exactly they call the St. Cloud area. If you can count St. Cloud as a suburb of MSP, then you might as well call Brainerd a suburb of St. Cloud.. or Cheyenne a suburb of Denver

irrelevant, but I always go crazy driving from MSP to St. Cloud. It's anything but a suburb, an economy on its own.
    Official MSAs go by county, so the 168k figure is merely the population of Stearns and Benton counties (even though part of St. Cloud is in Sherburne County, its population is not included because it is officially part of the Minneapolis-St. Paul MSA). The population for St. Cloud, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, Waite Park, St. Joseph, St. Augusta and immediately surrounding areas is about 110k. The 91k figure for Mankato is also the counties, the more immediate area is around 55k.

Leave a comment:

• MUnRPI
    replied

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
    No. More. Huskies.
    Says the MAC hockey 'proponent'...

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Hey New WCHA member schools: How about Northern Illinois University?
    No. More. Huskies.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Confirmed: not happening. Makes you wonder where some people get their information.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...0101/202080537
    Apparently the big binder of information that the Bemidji and UAf use is filled with printouts from USCHO.com.

Hey New WCHA member schools: How about Northern Illinois University?

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I'll quote Rob Demovsky (who covers UWGB for the GB Press Gazette), who had this to say when I emailed him after that Fairbanks story got out (I also asked about the rumors of the Resch Center for the WCHA tourney):
    Confirmed: not happening. Makes you wonder where some people get their information.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201202080407/GPG020101/202080537

Leave a comment:

• scsutommyboy
    replied

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
    You must have missed this article back in December. It appears his telling the NCHC to "pound sand" was never sincere, and contradicted by lots of behind the scenes emails lobbying for entry into the NCHC. Ah, the joys of being a public school - the media (in this case, the St. Cloud Times) can request to read all of your emails.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20111...ockey-shake-up
    Actually if you read all the e-mails he really did mean it. they were trying to save the WCHA and never knew about the NCHC. Once they knew than yes it was a bunch of backdoor meetings to get in. He is an idiot because his own consultant and AD knew they still had a shot to get in and he opened his big mouth because he was mad. Then in turn he looks like an idiot because there was no way Gino or Motzko was going to stand for them not getting in.

Leave a comment:

• scsutommyboy
    replied

Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

SCSU was invited to be a bottom in the NCHC. Hope they like it...
    You have it mixed up. The President told them to go pound sand. The AD and coach wanted to get in very badly. I along with other SCSU supporters were e-mailing the AD and he was telling us hold on I think we will still get in right after Potter opened his big yap. I have been told boosters pretty much put Potter in his place after he did that. Potter made a fool out of himself and our University with how he delt with this situation and the cancelling of homecoming. It is my opnion he should be removed due to his lack of leadership. Of course nobody cares what I think.....

Leave a comment:

• bunt_q
    replied

Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

SCSU was invited to be a bottom in the NCHC. Hope they like it...
    You must have missed this article back in December. It appears his telling the NCHC to "pound sand" was never sincere, and contradicted by lots of behind the scenes emails lobbying for entry into the NCHC. Ah, the joys of being a public school - the media (in this case, the St. Cloud Times) can request to read all of your emails.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20111...ockey-shake-up

Leave a comment:

Working...
X