MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Is it plausible that the BSU guy misspoke (or the writer misheard/miswrote) and meant to say UW-Milwaukee?
    Green Bay was also reported in the Fairbanks rag a few weeks ago. Who knows how true the rumor is, but it's been floating around for a while.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Green Bay was also reported in the Fairbanks rag a few weeks ago. Who knows how true the rumor is, but it's been floating around for a while.
      I'll quote Rob Demovsky (who covers UWGB for the GB Press Gazette), who had this to say when I emailed him after that Fairbanks story got out (I also asked about the rumors of the Resch Center for the WCHA tourney):

David:
      The UWGB hockey thing isn't happening. That athletic department couldn't fund that. Plus, there would be major Title IX issues. The school issued a statement saying it doesn't know why its name would be mentioned in that story because it has had no discussions with the WCHA.
      Not sure about the Resch Center as a possible venue for that tournament. I will look into it.
      Thanks,
      Rob
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        Is it plausible that the BSU guy misspoke (or the writer misheard/miswrote) and meant to say UW-Milwaukee?
        Isn't UWM something of a commuter school? I see it being something like Wayne State's foray into D-1 men's hockey, unless it really is a different environment there.

Either way, if a non-B1G D-1 school adds hockey in the Midwest, the NCHC will fight tooth-and-nail to grab it before the WCHA does. Even if it would be a better fit for the WCHA.
        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

I'm still not sure what "like-minded" even means. But, MavsFan has a point that Mankato is broadly equivalent to SCSU, excepting its NCAA division and recent hockey success. You could feasibly recruit them to the NCHC.
          MSU and SCSU are both Div II. They are both in the NSIC in other sports, along with UMD and Bemidji.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav Fan View Post
            MSU and SCSU are both Div II. They are both in the NSIC in other sports, along with UMD and Bemidji.
            Oh, for some reason I thought that SCSU had just jumped to D-I. Maybe it was speculation that they would consider it, with NDSU and UND both up a division. In other words, SCSU and MSU-Mankato are almost entirely identical - right?

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

Oh, for some reason I thought that SCSU had just jumped to D-I. Maybe it was speculation that they would consider it, with NDSU and UND both up a division. In other words, SCSU and MSU-Mankato are almost entirely identical - right?
              Yep, except it appears that their administration cares about their hockey program, unlike ours.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Mankato is completely happy being good to great at basketball and wrestling. "Hockey? We're D-1. That's good enough."
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Mankato is completely happy being good to great at basketball and wrestling. "Hockey? We're D-1. That's good enough."
                  Correct, except I think they'd like to excel at football too.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

There's also the added factor that SCSU almost dropped their football program over the last couple years due to funding issues.

As for MSU's admin not caring about hockey, that's not exactly true. No, they haven't done the same things that other schools have done, but they did what they had to do to get to D1 and now their hands are tied due to some of the agreements they had to make (ie the financial package they accepted to have VWC built). They probably place more emphasis on women's sports than a lot of people would like, but that's the direction that MSU has chosen to make. It doesn't sit well with a lot of hockey supporters.
                    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                      Yep, except it appears that their administration cares about their hockey program, unlike ours.
                      Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

SCSU was invited to be a bottom in the NCHC. Hope they like it...
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                        There's also the added factor that SCSU almost dropped their football program over the last couple years due to funding issues.

As for MSU's admin not caring about hockey, that's not exactly true. No, they haven't done the same things that other schools have done, but they did what they had to do to get to D1 and now their hands are tied due to some of the agreements they had to make (ie the financial package they accepted to have VWC built). They probably place more emphasis on women's sports than a lot of people would like, but that's the direction that MSU has chosen to make. It doesn't sit well with a lot of hockey supporters.
                        Lots of schools have almost dropped their football programs. See Michigan Tech for an example of a school whose program dramatically improved (and has stayed at .500+) after football was canceled, then reinstated with generous alumni support.

Comment

Lots of schools have almost dropped their football programs. See Michigan Tech for an example of a school whose program dramatically improved (and has stayed at .500+) after football was canceled, then reinstated with generous alumni support.
                          I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. It's just the reality that they almost dropped it. I'm just contrasting the two schools. I think financially, MSU's athletic department is a little bit healthier, but there is an argument to be made that it's at the expense of the hockey program getting the funding it needs/wants.
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                            I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. It's just the reality that they almost dropped it. I'm just contrasting the two schools. I think financially, MSU's athletic department is a little bit healthier, but there is an argument to be made that it's at the expense of the hockey program getting the funding it needs/wants.
                            I'm not either, just mentioning another school that had the same problem and came up with a solution to fund both hockey and football. Your mileage may vary, and I can't say whether there are rich Mankato alums willing to do the same here.

Not to dump on MSU-Mankato - you guys have been respectable in the WCHA, and I think you will do better when out of the shadow of the U, UMD and SCSU - but I'm looking forward to the day when there are enough D-I hockey schools to make a D-II league and championship feasible again. Preferably, it would have a fair amount of mobility between it and D-I to allow D-II schools to play up and fall back as their program needs dictate, without having to outright drop the program like many CHA and CCHA schools.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Don't forget that SCSU's AD told the NCHC to go pound sand when they broke away from the WCHA. Then when they get their invite, they start singing a whole different tune.

You must have missed this article back in December. It appears his telling the NCHC to "pound sand" was never sincere, and contradicted by lots of behind the scenes emails lobbying for entry into the NCHC. Ah, the joys of being a public school - the media (in this case, the St. Cloud Times) can request to read all of your emails.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20111...ockey-shake-up

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

You have it mixed up. The President told them to go pound sand. The AD and coach wanted to get in very badly. I along with other SCSU supporters were e-mailing the AD and he was telling us hold on I think we will still get in right after Potter opened his big yap. I have been told boosters pretty much put Potter in his place after he did that. Potter made a fool out of himself and our University with how he delt with this situation and the cancelling of homecoming. It is my opnion he should be removed due to his lack of leadership. Of course nobody cares what I think.....
                                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X