X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame @ Alaska, Nov. 6 & 7

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Not much chatter...

It’s too early in the season to be a make or break series for either team. But all conference games are important and this is somewhat a bellwether game for the Nooks. We had a decent season last year, but we were also shut out 11 times. Contenders or pretenders?

Team defense and Greenham can keep us close in most games, but can we score against good defensive teams. We’ll see. Anywhere from 3 to 6 points should give us that warm tingly feeling. Getting swept at home would be a major bummer.

But I gotta feeling. The boys have played well and played hard every shift of every game. And they’ll need to do that and even more this weekend. Appears like we may still have a couple regulars out with injuries. So step it up boys. If you want some respect, go out and earn it.

Go Nooks!
    Honestly I think tonight will say a lot about the 'Nooks one way or another. Last night was a very winnable game, to the point that they probably should have won it. I wasn't there to see it, but that ND goalie must have stood on his head in the 3rd period. Outshooting a team 37-15 and losing is almost unheard of.

In fact, tonight's game may well be the biggest one of the season so far. If we get swept this weekend, it's going to be tough to dig out of that hole and get back into top-4 contention.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      If we get swept this weekend,
      I fear that is something you don't have to worry about.

Originally posted by Squarebanks
      ... it's going to be tough to dig out of that hole and get back into top-4 contention.
      How can I have more confidence in your team than you do?! From what I saw last night, you guys will do just fine. Coach Ferguson is the real deal.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I believe we will see a way different out come tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          I fear that is something you don't have to worry about.

I sincerely hope you are right

How can I have more confidence in your team than you do?! From what I saw last night, you guys will do just fine. Coach Ferguson is the real deal.
          Hey now, I have plenty of confidence in our guys, but our schedule in December and January is a meat-grinder, so we have a much better shot at a top-4 slot if we stock up on points now. Just sayin...! But you are correct, if we play like we did last night on every night of the season we'll be just fine.

And thank you for the kudos on Ferguson...I really do think that if he stays around (and since he's an alum I doubt he'll use the school as a stepping stone) that we can turn into a respected force both in the CCHA and beyond. One of your ND seniors was quoted in the paper this morning as basically saying that playing Alaska is like night and day compared to four years ago.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

I just checked the CCHA's website, and their live stats have a final of Notre Dame 5 - Alaska 3 for tonight's game. Guess it really is a good thing the games are played on the ice, and not according to what appears to be an old UNO vs. UAF box score

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
              I just checked the CCHA's website, and their live stats have a final of Notre Dame 5 - Alaska 3 for tonight's game.
              Oh, if only ND could muster 5 goals in a game! Their offense is a bit anemic in the early goings.
              "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Nice 3-1 comeback win for the Nooks. We struggled more that game, but it was great to get the three points. Parts of the first two periods were a little shaky. We bent but we didn’t break. But once again the third period belonged to us. Three unanswered goals.

A few photos from tonight:

We’ll take the split...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-30/706564935_DDYPD-L.jpg******

And I’m growing fond of our “Lucky Golds”...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-139/706566057_niaJV-L.jpg******

Mr. Johnson started again for ND and stymied the Nooks through two...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-119/706565439_3z5G3-L.jpg******

But his plea for help in the third went unanswered...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-65/706565199_tqqv7-L.jpg******

This is Klassen’s first goal, heading for the back of the net...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-122/706565700_46fxP-L.jpg******

Taranto “popped” the water bottle with this shot for goal #2...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-143/706566327_7QVFj-L.jpg******

Greenham remained solid throughout the game...
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-151/706566612_pepWe-L.jpg******

With the ND goalie pulled, things got a little frantic at the end.
                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-7-2009/20091107-168/706566943_W3dz8-L.jpg******

Klassen was able to get an empty netter, his second goal of the night, to seal the win. Good job Nooks.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures MMF, great like usual. I really like the Saturday sweaters looks like Swedens jerseys. Hopefully they are going to sell them because I think that's one I would buy. Good weekend should have been a sweep but sometimes the hockey gods don't reward great play with wins. Big roadtrip these next two weeks, go nooks.

Comment

Great win last night, and much needed. So far we've taken down the #4 and #9 teams in the country this season...not too shabby.

Comment

Video of all goals during the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOW6XIr_TzM
                      The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                      X