X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Why isn't he serious?

And our band is absolutely amazing tonite. The trumpet solo was just amazing

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Why isn't he serious?

And our band is absolutely amazing tonite. The trumpet solo was just amazing
      i think its well known I emotionally react... I was also going over scenarios pre-game... winning this game seems to put us in the NCAAs almost every time... losing this and then taking 1/3 vs. UNH is incredibly precarious.

To me i don't see this as a game w/ no consequences and that was my issue... but yeah... I over-reacted.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        i think its well known I emotionally react... I was also going over scenarios pre-game... winning this game seems to put us in the NCAAs almost every time... losing this and then taking 1/3 vs. UNH is incredibly precarious.

To me i don't see this as a game w/ no consequences and that was my issue... but yeah... I over-reacted.
        You should be appy now!! Wooohooo!!! and to cap it NU wjust own!

Comment

You should be appy now!! Wooohooo!!! and to cap it NU wjust own!
          almost all the way positive... ZooMass was leading Merrimack... as long as it stays that way (see thread) its Providence... ZooMass wins its ZooMass
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            almost all the way positive... ZooMass was leading Merrimack... as long as it stays that way (see thread) its Providence... ZooMass wins its ZooMass
            My feed has them down by one with 2 to go.

Comment

Lowell plays ... PC.

#2 in the Hockey East seeding. Yes ... you're reading that right.

That's all ... have a good night.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

congrats on a great RS and good luck going forward. IMO, the best story in college hockey this year was UML's turnaround.........

Comment

WHo would have thunk it?

After listening to the interview with Corky I have my new favorite player. What a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                    congrats on a great RS and good luck going forward. IMO, the best story in college hockey this year was UML's turnaround.........
                    Thanks! Hope the story has a few more chapters left.
                    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      Thank you ... never saw this coming, but man, has this been a fun ride.
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

WHo would have thunk it?

After listening to the interview with Corky I have my new favorite player. What a class act.
                        Agree, it's been unreal how things have gone so far. Great job by all the players and coaches.

I was a little surprised there was no on ice introduction/celebration for the seniors last night.

ScottK, how did that woman make out who got hit with the puck last night?
                        Last edited by boblav1; 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

ScottK, how did that woman make out who got hit with the puck last night?
                          She got drilled right on the back of the hand with it. She came back down for the 2nd period with it covered in ice packs and left after the 2nd period ended.
                          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            I was a little surprised there was no on ice introduction/celebration for the seniors last night.
                            I'm going to be sending an email to the school about that tomorrow. That was so disappointing, really ruined a wonderful evening.

I know they had a private event for them in the Talon Room, which is all well and good, but it's completely not fair to the fans/alumni not to be able to say thanks. For all the amazing work this program has done, this just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

Yes, this really upset me.
                            Monty

Comment

UML now tied for second in the PWR. Also, big time credit to Boulanger for finally gaining his first win at the college level. I wonder if this was his last game playing for UML.
                              Monty

Comment

A little over a score of young men, a coaching staff, and 5310 people found out what happens when you take care of business and eight out of nine possible tiebreakers...you can finish in second place

Four of those young men, Budd, Corcoran, Ferreira, and Vallorani, especially deserved the result and reception of last night. This weekend for our senior class (arguably one of the most tumultuous in Lowell history) was a fitting end to their final regular-season game in the Tsongas Center. After driving home last night, I stopped to reflect on what their seniors had to deal with in the course of their careers. Ferreira had a brain injury that almost ended his career even before he even took the ice and was in fact delayed by a year. All four of them were dealing with the aftermath of the near-cancellation of our program as recruits just one year prior. Thankfully, once they got on the ice, they took part of a wonderful freshmen season only mired by a "failed audio component" and a hockey analyst claiming that the team "got jobbed" in the HE Championship Game. They came back for their sophomore seasons with the team getting off to a quick start. After an unfortunate sweep by Providence and Maine during Thanksgiving week, they saw a season of expectations slowly start to slip away. The team was just five hockey minutes from the Garden in the 2010 Game 3 QF thriller in Maine, only to see their season end unceremoniously in overtime which officially knock them out of the NCAA tournament.

After the deflating loss only one year removed from the HE championship game, murmurs about the head coach's future were at a simmer immediately following that Maine game. Many pundits and Lowell fans alike were predicting a complete collapse, including several blogs that said Lowell would be lucky to win five games in 2010-2011. These men were tasked with cleaning up the mess of 2010 coupled with shepherding a new flock of freshmen numbering in the double-digits. To add insult to this daunting task, they had their captain (and best player) go down with for all purposes was a season-ending injury. It was too much for the team to handle as the season fell into a bottomless abyss. The team was virtually eliminated from the HE playoffs even before the first semester ended. I heard long time supporters start to become unglued, heck, we were yapping at each other on the boards after I started my "Is It Time for a Change at UML" post. When the five win season was confirmed, it all too surreal and this team was really in a bad place.

Sure enough, a lot of people (myself included) got their wish when our head coach resigned after one of the worse years in Lowell history. A "new" coach arrived but really wasn't "new" to the Lowell family. There were quite a few skeptics to say the least; a lot of people has Lowell as a #7/#8 seed in the playoffs; others (including the HE Coaches) had Lowell out of the playoffs #9. A few even called for a repeat of the tenth-place finish from the prior campaign.

The season got off to a tremendous start in Mankato with a freshmen goalie in net and a win. The win was turned into an unexpected sweep of Manakto, even against a team expected to be in the bottom tier of college hockey. However, over the next three games, the team came back to earth, losing a bad game to UConn and getting swept by a BC team that looked like it was going to run away with the season at that point. Fifteen seconds into the next home game vs. BU, the red light was on for the bad guys and at that point, I (and probably everyone in the stands at that instant) wrote off the season.

Matt Ferreira didn't and after that goal, help the River Hawks to score the next seven off of three assists on his own, including the first two goals. Including this game, the River Hawks went 20-7-1, swept Maine in Orono for the first time since the 80s, swept the UNH Wildcats and beat BC at home in front of huge crowds. After each of the seven losses for the remainder of the season, they came back with statement games to quell frequent calls that their joyride was over. As a group while these seniors may not collectively have as much talent as some of their younger counterparts, be rest assured that their leadership over the past year has been nothing short of exemplary and share with the coaches in the tremendous turnaround of this team, possibly the biggest in New England collegiate sports history. This was the class that when a big goal or play was needed, they provided the support to allow that to happen, but unlike so many of the prior senior classes, they were the first class to execute it in over a decade and a half.

The last four seasons been quite the roller-coaster ride. There is a cliche that says: "Life is like a roller-coaster, with plenty of ups and downs". The good news is as it's likely to be a "banner year" unless some really wacky stuff happens in the playoffs, we don't have to say good-bye to the senior class just yet.

PS: We did get fortunate with the results of last night but speaks volumes of the difference between 2010 and 2012. We didn't take care of business in 2010 and we saw the aforementioned result. We did take care of business this weekend and wound up in second place giving BU a much tougher match-up against UNH (I'm sure will be the NESN and possibly NBCSN game). In any case, I take great pride and pleasure in two questions being asked on Commonwealth Avenue this morning by the BU faithful...

"Who's this Vinny Saponari? And why can't we get players like that?"
                                Last edited by John_Fuller; 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM.
                                - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X