This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Not sure if anyone saw/posted this: Siouz Sports analyzed UML's chances of making the NCAA tourney before last weekend's victories over UVM:

*****http://blog.siouxsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jan30masslowellendofseason.png******

"With 10 regular season games remaining, Mass.-Lowell is in the driver’s seat. Only a stunning loss of form, losing over half their remaining games, would likely drop them into the danger zone of not making the tournament. Winning 7 would position them well for a 1 seed."

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2012/01/...h-in-bye-week/

This of course, means that going 5-3 in our remaining 8 would likely be enough to secure a #1 seed.

ps -- I can't believe I just typed that.

Comment

note that this is a week out of date, probably uses KRACH as a simulation tool (no ties), and only incorporates the remaining regular season schedule.

I have my own feeling on what its going to take but I'm keeping them private because I don't want the team to slack... the chart below is somewhat reflective of my take, however.

edit: 5-3 will not guarentee us a #1 seed because of the playoffs.

the interesting thing from a qualification standpoint is there's a cliff between RPI .5300 and .5200. This is something that is unlikely to occur... it should be more gradual. That's why I'm a bit more hesitant on saying that we've made it or that we're sure to make it. If that feature wasn't there we'd have much more of a cushion. Conversely, teams in the sub-20 rank range have no real shot unless they go on a monster roll.

Granted, with that behavior in place, some of the others in the top 20 will slip from the pack anyhow just due to natural variation so we do have some play room as their fall (whomever it will be) will give us a better cushion than is currently face value.
      Last edited by Patman; 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
        Right, forgot about the seat count. Was just thinking that 'BU does it a lot' but forgot they don't do it at Agganis.
        Not any more. Unless they make a bid to have it at the TD Garden (which will never happen). The mayor of Worcester said that Worcester has a Division I hockey team so if anybody hosts a regional there, it will be Holy Cross. The city owns the whatever it's called now that it's not the Centrum so he can do that.

Also, in one of the other threads there was discussion about campus sites not being allowed to host regionals - some Michigan fan thinks the Wolverines get screwed every year. Yeah, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Not any more. Unless they make a bid to have it at the TD Garden (which will never happen). The mayor of Worcester said that Worcester has a Division I hockey team so if anybody hosts a regional there, it will be Holy Cross. The city owns the whatever it's called now that it's not the Centrum so he can do that.

Also, in one of the other threads there was discussion about campus sites not being allowed to host regionals - some Michigan fan thinks the Wolverines get screwed every year. Yeah, I know.
          Yost is an entirely different animal. I think there's a problem when one team dominates the landscape so much. Personally, if they have it at Yost then Michigan can't be involved... I'd say the same if they did the regional at UMN's home rink... which, IMO, is probably much better than using XCel. I'd say Agganis is small for what New England can do but I don't think BU would dominate it as much as a UMN or Michigan.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I think if they did away with the auto placement for the host it could work. Meaning, if Lowell is a #1 seed and there's a regional at Tsongas, then, yeah. But if they're a 13 seed and they're needed in another regional, send them there. It would work better in the east given the proximity of so many schools, attendance wouldn't be an issue. Like, if UNH was a #1 and Tsongas had a regional and Lowell was a much lower seed, put UNH in Tsongas and you'd still get a crowd. Or maybe not. No matter what the NCAA decides on, there's always going to be people that have a beef.

Comment

Merrimack is offering a student fan bus to Lowell Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I think if they did away with the auto placement for the host it could work. Meaning, if Lowell is a #1 seed and there's a regional at Tsongas, then, yeah. But if they're a 13 seed and they're needed in another regional, send them there. It would work better in the east given the proximity of so many schools, attendance wouldn't be an issue. Like, if UNH was a #1 and Tsongas had a regional and Lowell was a much lower seed, put UNH in Tsongas and you'd still get a crowd. Or maybe not. No matter what the NCAA decides on, there's always going to be people that have a beef.
                the big difference is that nobody in the boston area would be a one-horse town like the mid-west... now, not so much in the northeast if you did CCCC (no way there'd be a regional in Bangor) or do it (hypothetically) in Burlington. That's the real problem with Ann Arbor. Its michigan and only michigan.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

College Hockey News still rates UML #1 in HE.

Also, Chaz writes a blog post about the possibility of a renewed rivalry with Merrimack.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I just saw on Twitter that the Friday game is actually delayed to a 7:15 start due to other events going on in Lowell, giving people more time to get to the stadium.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

More outdoor games, GLI To Be Played Outdoors Next Season.

Comment

Article about Scott Wilson in today's Sun.
                        Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          Article about Scott Wilson in today's Sun.
                          Isn't it nice when the recruiting pitches write themselves.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Weekend preview from the UML site.
                            http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...020812aab.html

Comment

Wow, I so can't wait for these games this weekend...
                              Monty

Comment

USCHO picks: Dave is calling for a weekend sweep, while Jim says Lowell wins tonight, loses tomorrow.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X