X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Originally posted by Lowell Fan 90 View Post
    Right on the money. AND that has been going on all year. Accuse me of being a wuss but let's face it folks, as great as the number of students showing up now is, they need to class it up. The BS chant after EVERY Lowell penalty is embarrassing. But why stoop to what Amherst does? I know it's the mob mentality and people say/do things because everyone around them is doing it but the students who have been there from Day 1 and suffered through the last few years need to step up and get the followers in check.

I'm all about having fun but just ask a simple question "What would an Amherst fan do?" And do the opposite.

But they aren't reading these posts so c'est la vie.

As for the game, BU capitalized on EVERY major mistake Lowell made. Impressive when a team can do that but I love how Lowell kept battling. As rough of a game as it was last night - let's keep things in perspective. This has been a heck of a ride.

Tonight - Lowell 4 - BU 2
    Um what would you like to order up for next weekend?

Comment

Huge win but boy did they make it harder than it had to be. Terrible penalty by Holmstrom with 10 minutues left. BU was doing nothing through the first half of the period, then the penalty. After that it was all BU including another PP goal. When your up 4-1 with only 10 minutes left the only way the other team gets back into it is to let them by making mistakes and taking penalties. The Hawks also got a few bounces tonight, BU just missed a couple of back door plays. It's so nice to get number 20, looking forward to next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        It was just you.
        My life story.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

The win puts Lowell back into a tie for second in the pairwise. BU falls to 6th. Merrimack has fallen to a tie for 16th after getting swept by #1 (pairwise) BC, and Maine is 9th.
          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Merrimack has a lot to play for next weekend. If they want a chance to make the tourney, they're going to need to get some points. With the way their offense is right now, if Lowell can put 6 goals in the net next weekend, I see 4 points coming Lowell's way

Comment

But what if they win the first game 6-0?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                But what if they win the first game 6-0?
                It's Merrimack, they'll find a way
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

If my math is right, two points next weekend gives Lowell home ice. First time in like 11 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                    If my math is right, two points next weekend gives Lowell home ice. First time in like 11 years or so.
                    That would be correct. One win or two ties next weekend guarantees playoff games at Tsongas for the 1st time since 2002.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Congrats on win #20 guys.. & the strong season.
                      g'luck
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Another oddity... We're the only team with fewer than 10 "equivalent losses"... Losses+0.5*Ties
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Just finished watching the game from my DVR after going out tonight. Earlier this evening, my girlfriend and I went out to a planned dinner with some friends of mine to a Chinese restaurant. Surprisingly, crow was not on tonight's prix fixe buffet, but I did receive a fortune cookie that if I didn't know any better, Doug Carr had it wired to me. In case you are wondering what Confucius said, it goes as follows...

"If your always a pessimist consider how futile that attitude can be"

Fifteen seconds into this game, Carr made a crucial stop that while Chiasson didn't get the best wood on the puck, it could have meant a long night for the River Hawks. The first of his eventual forty stops may have saved this game from the onset and in the process made me look bad. His performance tonight and maybe next week could arguably change things for first-team Hockey East goaltender. Lowell went on to play a pretty decent road period and Wilson's goal that beat Millan clean from 30 feet was sniper-quality. However, that wasn't the turning point.

Sure, Holmstrom and Lyles took some ill-advised penalties, but the major by Gill in the offensive zone was the turning point & simply a back-breaker (no pun intended) for BU. Lowell had no answers for BU during the first half of the second period as they definitely carried the play for that stretch. The power play was excellent and cashed in quickly, and Vallorani was inches close to make it a two-goal major. UML is now 2-0-0 when Dan Furlong scores a goal in a BU game...LOL

I disagree with Janney on why Millan was pulled. While Carr had a bad night last night, Millan had an equally bad night tonight. He was fighting the puck all game long, did not look comfortable at any point, and made a critical error by not containing the rebound which led to Lowell's key fourth goal. I believe the move to pull him by Parker was punitive. At any rate, the shot by Ruhwedel with a rolling puck on edge was highlight-reel quality.

Two things I found out on tonight's telecast (and for the common decency of NESN HE broadcasts, I wish they could keep Mike Logan as lead PXP). BU is just 6-6 at home in HE home games including tonight and that their current home losing streak of four (2xME, UMA, UML) is the first time that's happened since the 1979-80 season. There are Lowell fans on this board that weren't even born the last time it happened. The team that over the past three decades generally doesn't fail at home did tonight. The other stat which Logan put out there about Lowell history was interesting. Over its entire history, Lowell has finished second in the standings twice, Riley in 1977 and Crowder in 1996. Both coaches won their respective national Coach of the Year awards.

Arguably speaking, tonight's win may be more important that the Maine sweep as far as road victories go this season. By extension, it may be at or near the top of the most important regular-season road victories in their Hockey East tenure. However, at the same time, I stand by my earlier comments. Two bad losses to Maine and BU in consecutive home games immediately following the longest home winning streak in Tsongas history I thought were going to be their undoing. For this still relatively young squad, I thought going to BU and winning was just a bit too much at this point of the game. My stock in Doug Carr just rose by ten orders of magnitude and I'm going to defer to Monty and some of the other long-time followers to determine when the last time a Lowell goalie had one of his worst career nights, took responsibility for his actions, placed the weigh of the season on his shoulders, and followed it up with a career and more importantly, a statement game. Tonight, he proved that he is a leader; his defense and the rest of the team followed.

Last night, I made a verifiable comment to someone in which I hope it will be on the board. I said that Lowell basically had a snowball's chance in hell that they would win tomorrow night. Immediately after that comment, I also said that I wasn't going to be [at BU] due to an planned engagement, so [Lowell] will probably win. I just hope I don't have my travel privileges revoked.
                          Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-19-2012, 01:40 AM.
                          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Over its entire history, Lowell has finished second in the standings twice, Riley in 1977 and Crowder in 1996. Both coaches won their respective national Coach of the Year awards.

The stat is that Lowell has finished 2nd in HE three times (1987-94-96) All three times their coach was hockey east coach of the year. Crowder was the only one who was national coach of the year. Thanks for the kind words

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLogan View Post
                              Over its entire history, Lowell has finished second in the standings twice, Riley in 1977 and Crowder in 1996. Both coaches won their respective national Coach of the Year awards.

The stat is that Lowell has finished 2nd in HE three times (1987-94-96) All three times their coach was hockey east coach of the year. Crowder was the only one who was national coach of the year. Thanks for the kind words
                              If this is the Logan that did the game ... wonderful job.

Anyway, the Globe's article about the game.

The Lowell Sun.

The Herald.

Finally, USCHO.
                              Monty

Comment

Quick question for my first post. Does anyone know what happened with Sinitsyn? He was listed in the live box score as if he was in the lineup and during intermission, they had the "live locker room look-in", and his jersey was clearly hanging in a stall. Im just curious is to what was going on there if anyone has the inside scoop on why he was playing but not playing or whatever the deal was.

p.s. love reading your discussions and i hope to start contributing myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X