This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

According to the Hockey East: Who's in/out/home thread (amazing job by Todd), the current bar for home playoff lock is 36.

Naturally that number will change each week as teams gain or fail to gain points, but it's interesting to look at right now. Lowell's on top of the conference with 28 points, needing 8 more to reach the magic number with 6 games to go. Lowell would have to sweep one of the teams left on the schedule and split with the other two to get there (unless they were to get some draws, but who's counting on that?)

I don't want to be Donnie Downer, but you have to wonder if those losses @Vermont, @PC and @NU are going to come back and haunt this team. With one of those games they could split the rest of the way out and still be a lock for home ice.

Enough of that. Like I said, that number is going to move and with the way Lowell has played this season there's no reason to doubt these guys. It's extremely important that they at least split with BU and MC, as owning the tiebreaker against 3 of the other 4 teams looking for home ice will almost certainly come into play when it's all said and done.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      A weekend split all around would leave Lowell in first place for yet another week. Not implying I want a split of course...
      Of course, everyone wants four juicy points for their team every weekend. Given the circumstances, I'd gladly take a split, no questions asked.
      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        Like I said, that number is going to move and with the way Lowell has played this season there's no reason to doubt these guys. It's extremely important that they at least split with BU and MC, as owning the tiebreaker against 3 of the other 4 teams looking for home ice will almost certainly come into play when it's all said and done.
        Indeed, the magic number for the River Hawks to gain home ice is eight; go 4-2-0 or better for the last six games and you have it no matter what the other teams do.

Every team has a bad loss or two or three that they can point to in the season. Let's go back to 2010 for a moment, the reason why bad losses to lower ranked teams (or in our case tie) came back to haunt us was that fact that the team failed to gain the tiebreaker against the BU and Maine. If that are able to take care of BU and Merrimack gaining those tiebreakers, the numbers will be there. If they don't, there is the possibility of us looking from the outside. We have control of our destiny and I think this team unlike those in past years can and will deliver
        Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM.
        - John

Comment

Doug Carr on the Walter Brown Award Semi-Finalist list.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Doug Carr on the Walter Brown Award Semi-Finalist list.
            Well deserved.
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
              According to the Hockey East: Who's in/out/home thread (amazing job by Todd), the current bar for home playoff lock is 36.
              That last post was an impressive monster of what if calculations for the outcome of HE. The 7 way tie for third is an amusing scenario but definitely a thread the needle set of conditions.

This weekend will be huge. BU will (should) be angry at losing in OT and also looking to avenge their earlier season drubbing. It only gets harder here on out. Don't forget to set your DVR for Saturday's game even if you're going to BU!

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfAramark View Post
                This weekend will be huge. BU will (should) be angry at losing in OT and also looking to avenge their earlier season drubbing.
                I'm not reading into much on the Beanpot result, if BU won, they would be on a high from winning the championship. The key to this comment is the earlier season beatdown Lowell placed on BU, which was mentioned in the NESN promo they played several times. Needless to say, I think both teams will be ready.

If anyone did watch the Beanpot last night, did you hear TC's man-crush he had on Lowell at the end of the first period and beginning of the second..LOL! Love the fact that the River Hawks were able to "crash" the Beanpot for some exposure.
                Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM.
                - John

Comment

From the Mack Report site: Merrimack's play by play announcer John Leahy interviewed Bob Ellis prior to last Friday nights game.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                    I'm not reading into much on the Beanpot result, if BU won, they would be on a high from winning the championship. The key to this comment is the earlier season beatdown Lowell placed on BU, which was mentioned in the NESN promo they played several times. Needless to say, I think both teams will be ready.

If anyone did watch the Beanpot last night, did you hear TC's man-crush he had on Lowell at the end of the first period and beginning of the second..LOL! Love the fact that the River Hawks were able to "crash" the Beanpot for some exposure.
                    Yeah, no matter the result we'd be able to find a way to spin it negatively for us. Bottom line is that Jack will be beating in that early season result to them all week long. I'd expect a battle... but I think they can be rattled.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

With four games left against teams currently fighting for home-ice (I'm only counting from 1-5 currently in the standings), Lowell has a pretty impressive record against those teams so far.

Lowell is 5-3, with four games left.
                      BU is 5-5, obviously with only this weekend left against us.
                      Merrimack is 3-3-2 with two left against us and BC each.
                      BC is 4-5-1, two left with Merrimack.
                      Maine is 5-6-1, the only team that doesn't have any games left against teams currently in the top 5.

With at least one win in each of the next two weekends, Lowell will have won the season series against all those teams except for BC.
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Nice statistical analysis about shots/blocked shots, etc.
                        Monty

Comment

It's been quiet in here. Everyone must be quietly pacing, chewing fingernails, and doing that leg shake thing everyone hates.

I'll be the first to say that tomorrow will feel like one of the longest work days of the year. Big game tomorrow. I'm expecting the Lowell crowd and students show up in force.

Comment

It's been quiet in here. Everyone must be quietly pacing, chewing fingernails, and doing that leg shake thing everyone hates.

I'll be the first to say that tomorrow will feel like one of the longest work days of the year. Big game tomorrow. I'm expecting the Lowell crowd and students show up in force.
                            Since BU is bringing a couple of bus-loads of fans, and are expecting at least 125 ... the Lowell fans NEED to be out in support of this team tomorrow. Not just the students and alumni, but the hockey fans in the city...
                            Monty

Comment

Yep, that sounds about right.

Hope so...last couple weeks, seems to have been hit or miss. Hoping that with one game, and not two, everyone makes a commitment to get there to be loud and proud.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Frustrating (IMHO) to realize ... since November 18th, Lowell has lost but four games. In those 4 games, Lowell has scored a whopping 5 goals (2, 2, 1 and 0 respectively in each game), and lost each by just one goal. On the year, Lowell has lost 6 games by one goal (or 2 thanks to an empty net).
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X